Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil leak from flywheel bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
My type 4 engine is leaking oil via the threads of the flywheel bolts. How does this leak-path get sealed?
6freak
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Mar 15 2017, 12:30 PM) *

My type 4 engine is leaking oil via the threads of the flywheel bolts. How does this leak-path get sealed?

your problem is behind the fly wheel or in front of it how ever you see it! just guess n but id say rear main seal....good luck
Mark Henry
There is an O-ring in the flywheel where it mates to the crank, it's missing or damaged.

Many don't realize that for a T4 RMS repair there's 2 seals, the RMS and the flywheel O-ring.
Mark Henry
This is a T1 flywheel but the O-ring is installed the same way.

IPB Image
6freak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 15 2017, 01:41 PM) *

There is an O-ring in the flywheel where it mates to the crank, it's missing or damaged.

Many don't realize that for a T4 RMS repair there's 2 seals the RMS and the O-ring.

I didn't! I don't see how that stops oil if it mates direct to the crank.... almost seems more like a harmonic dampner ..ill be in one soon and ive got more reading to do

Mark Henry
The RMS is under direct pressure from the #1 main bearing, the slightest scratch in the flywheel or crank mating surfaces will act like an oil galley.

One of the reasons not to use too much sealant on case halves is so you won't clog the RMS/rear main bearing oil drain notch. Clog that relief notch and the best seal in the world won't stop the oil coming out of the RMS.
6freak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 15 2017, 02:13 PM) *

The RMS is under direct pressure from the #1 main bearing, the slightest scratch in the flywheel or crank mating surfaces will act like an oil galley.

One of the reasons not to use too much sealant on case halves is so you won't clog the RMS/rear main bearing oil drain notch. Clog that relief notch and the best seal in the world won't stop the oil coming out of the RMS.

you learn something new everyday smile.gif but that O ring has nothing to do with keeping the oil in the motor ...maybe I`m just missing it surprise laugh.gif
...ill have to dig into the book more
Montreal914
RMS seals around the neck of the flywheel, not on the crankshaft itself.
The O-ring inside the flywheel seals it to the crankshaft.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 16 2017, 09:17 AM) *

you learn something new everyday smile.gif but that O ring has nothing to do with keeping the oil in the motor ...maybe I`m just missing it surprise laugh.gif

Remove your flywheel O-ring and report your findings...they should be easy to spot on your garage floor. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 16 2017, 09:52 AM) *

Exactly. smile.gif

Just in case your argument is a /6 engine doesn't have a O-ring, it has a main bearing thrust surface that acts as a slinger, much like in a VW T1 crank on the pulley end. The oil gets slung off into the case before it gets to the RMS.

This is a common mistake that I've seen since I started wenching on these in the 80's, really I've known about this since watching my brother wrench on them in the 70's.
6freak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 16 2017, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 16 2017, 09:17 AM) *

Remove your flywheel O-ring and report your findings...they should be easy to spot on your garage floor. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 16 2017, 09:52 AM) *

Exactly. smile.gif

Just in case your argument is a /6 engine doesn't have a O-ring, it has a main bearing thrust surface that acts as a slinger, much like in a VW T1 crank on the pulley end. The oil gets slung off into the case before it gets to the RMS.

This is a common mistake that I've seen since I started wenching on these in the 80's, really I've known about this since watching my brother wrench on them in the 70's.

copy copy no argument here! like I said I've got some reading to do, no better place to come when I get stumped then here though... I know that much
Thanks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.