Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MegaSquirt Barbeque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Gerard Rodrigues has MegaSquirt on his 2.0L. With a cam upgrade, he is putting out 95 HP at the rear wheels and he runs AC.

Gerard (aka 3d814 on this site) has a good knowledge of MegaSquirt and is willing to share that knowledge with others.

I am hosting a Barbeque at my house on Sunday the 22nd at 4 p.m. Gerard will be on hand to educate us on MegaSquirt from the basics to tuning tips. If you are considering a fuel injection system upgrade that costs under $500, is fully tuneable, and uses many of the stock parts, please attend.

To let me know you are attending, give me a call at 623-297-4084. Families are welcome. My wife has a good collection of movies, games and the pool will be open for business.

ADDED: OK, there has been good interest, but now I need a head count. Call, email, or PM and let me know if you are planning on attending. Check the last post for a map and address..

Qarl
Are you marinating the MS first? I prefer chicken or ribs!

MoveQik
Will the MegaSquirt do anything for a 75 1.8? If so, I may be interested.
azbill
I will be there it will be interesting. Greg can I bring anything? Let me know
Mueller
QUOTE (Qarl @ May 5 2005, 05:53 AM)

I can tell you from personal experiance, the Megasquirt does not like coffee sad.gif rolleyes.gif wacko.gif

gregrobbins
MegaSquirt is an after market do-it-yourself fuel injection system. The D-jet systems that came with our cars were high tech at the time, but lack much adjustability. Same is true with the L-Jet and MS should work in that application as well. Gerard will know how to make it work. The MS system can be hooked up to a laptop computer and you have a wide range of adjustments. You can compensate of things like a cam change, going with larger pistons.

And for basic stock motors, the original parts are hard to find, expensive, or no longer available. MS is a good after market alternative to the systems costing $2000 and more.

Gerard know the MS system well and will be able to answer all our questions.

Now to Qarl's comment:

I just use a rub on the MS. Same as I do for the Tri-Tip (Santa Maria style for those of you who truly "know.")

Chicken, hot dogs and grilled vegies are also on the menu.
jasons
Greg, I'd like to make it. Post an update or email when the date nears. I get married 6-11 in Mexico so weekends have been occupied with crap I prefer not to do, so I can't be sure yet.

(Welcome to the rest of my life givemebeer.gif )
bondo
QUOTE (Qarl @ May 5 2005, 05:53 AM)

Hehe, the image in my mind was a big barbecue, with 4 injectors, a fuel pump, and a big tank for lighter fluid. smile.gif That would be a fun project actually, I bet BBQ lighter fluid would burn quite nicely when sprayed onto the briquettes at 38 PSI. smile.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ May 5 2005, 07:27 AM)

Now to Qarl's comment:

I just use a rub on the MS. Same as I do for the Tri-Tip (Santa Maria style for those of you who truly "know.")

I am wondering, idea.gif , just what kind'a wine would one serve with that?

John
MoveQik
I wouldlike to attend. If nothing else I can get some good info and meet some other local folks.

Let me know if I can bring anything.
Series9
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you had an engine fire. laugh.gif
MoveQik
Perhaps we are just getting prepared for the inevitable ohmy.gif
gregrobbins
Ha Ha, 914s, fire, Barbeque. I get it.

Fire Extinguishers are optional. biggrin.gif
azbill
This isn't the wine and cheese crowd it's the beer and hard boiled eggs group beerchug.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif bootyshake.gif
gklinger
Greg, I'll be there. Since my MS conversion is still on jackstands, I won't be able to contribute much tuning knowledge, but maybe I can get some pointers from Gerard. If you still want it, I'll bring the A/C condensor over too. Let me know if I can bring anything for the BBQ.
TravisNeff
I'm in! Let me know if I can bring anything. Have dog food, will travel.
airsix
I think this is a great idea. People attending who don't have an extensive background in fuel injection theory are sure to get huge benefit from this. People being liberated from "EFI fear" gives me goosebumps. That's awsome.

-Ben "shoot carbs on sight" M.
gregrobbins
Map 1
gregrobbins
5615 N 48th Lane

Mike9142.0
I am going to try to be there.
Tom Perso
Man, you guys are breaking my heart. I was in Scottsdale exactly one year ago on my honeymoon, plus now I'm doing a Megasquirt conversion on my 2270!!! Man, I wanna be back there!!!

Have fun though!

Tom
gregrobbins
Man, you guys are breaking my heart. I was in Scottsdale exactly one year ago on my honeymoon, plus now I'm doing a Megasquirt conversion on my 2270!!! Man, I wanna be back there!!!

Hey Tom (and anyone else interested) Gerard is going to have some hand out material and I am going to take notes, so PM me with your address and I will mail information to you.
MoveQik
Man, a brutal weekend for a BBQ! I have been looking forward to this BBQ as my first opportunity to drive my 914 to meet other 914 guys at a "club function", so to speak. Now the weather service is calling for 113 degrees on Sunday! ohmy.gif

Maybe I'll just bring pictures of my car.

Greg, I'm guessing you won't have too many people offering to stand next to the grill and help! biggrin.gif

See you Sunday.
gregrobbins
Now the weather service is calling for 113 degrees on Sunday!

In Arizona we are tough. At least we don't have to park our cars for the winter and deal with snow, ice, and salt.

PCA is doing a night Autocross on Saturday. Tires should be good and sticky with 112 in the forecast.

Meeting and eating will be inside and you can all experience my new AC unit. cool.gif
gregrobbins
Bump! icon_bump.gif
azbill
How many are comming Greg?
redshift
QUOTE (Qarl @ May 5 2005, 08:53 AM)

I thought his car.. I am not going to say it oh crap I impl... nevermind..

m
SLITS
QUOTE (azbill @ May 5 2005, 10:55 AM)
This isn't the wine and cheese crowd it's the beer and hard boiled eggs group beerchug.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif bootyshake.gif

Man, there's a lethal combination for driving anyone out of a room. bootyshake.gif icon8.gif
gregrobbins
Alright people: Beer can chicken has been seasoned. The vegies are marinating, sirloin burgers are set: See you in 5 hours or so.
MoveQik
I'll be over right after I drag myself out of the pool. I have a tough day on tap...sit in the pool with the Suns game on. Then at some point head over for a BBQ to meet a few other 914 folks.

Why can't all weekends be like this? beer3.gif beer.gif
TravisNeff
I am going to try to pop in for a little bit, gotta drop the kids off around 5pm
jasons
I want to go... I just have alot of responsibilities around the house that need attention so, I am playing by ear right now....
MoveQik
Greg,

Thanks for hosting. It was great meeting everyone. Let's try for a breakfast soon.
jasons
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 22 2005, 06:42 PM)
Greg,

Thanks for hosting. It was great meeting everyone. Let's try for a breakfast soon.

Yeah X2, Thanks for the party. It's good to put names to faces.
azbill
I enjoyed meeting everyone and learned some more about megasquart and fuel injection. Thanks Greg.
gregrobbins
Thanks all who showed up. A special thanks to Gerard for educating us about MegaSquirt. smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
what? no pics? sad.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 23 2005, 08:02 AM)
what? no pics? sad.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

It was too hot....the film melted.
Aaron Cox
sucky excuse
wink.gif
rudedog7
I have a question regarding your AC unit. Is it a VSP model? Do you know anybody in AZ that works on them. My squarrel fan and motor went kaput? I'm in Mesa and its getting hot.
Kevin
TravisNeff
Hi Kevin,

I am sure you are asking the on of the other guys about the A/C stuff. I don't know who works on them besides the normal AC shops.

I have a VPC unit that I removed from my car. Have a squirrel cage/fan unit in working condition if you are looking for replacement
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.