Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting Brakes Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
So, I've seen all these import guys painting their calipers in all different colors, but usually red. The look is starting to grow on me and I can't afford Big Reds or Carbon brakes. Has anyone done this?

Then, While looking for referance material, I came across a very cool night pic of a Le Mans car with glowing discs. That looked sweet!

So now I'm thinking... I've got a bottle of fluorescent orange paint that I doubt I'll ever use on a tee shirt (maybe Mike Rose's shirts will get a splash, but not a whole bottle)... I could just paint the entire brake disk Fluorescent Orange and get the look of a Le Mans car.

Do you think it will work? Betcha it'll look hella sweet. I wonder if the car will stop faster too?
freezing14
the glowing disk idea is interesting but painting the rotor will for sure affect the braking,, and after half a second of braking, the paint will be gone,, on the other hand the caliper paint is great, I got the one specially made for that and it last a very long time with fading or tarnishing
mihai914
Umm?

Any paint applied to the disc friction surface will be removed first time you will stop with the brakes, that is if you stop since the paint will probably affect the braking itself.

What you saw was really hot brakes (probably carbon) on a racing car that was designed to work with hot brakes.

If you want a better look, you can paint the calipers by masking the rubber boots and other areas that you do not want painted and shoot it with some caliper paint which is heat and chemical resistant.
double-a
send em off to goldline brakes for a durable red polymer coating. i recently had my fronts done:
user posted image

~a
djm914-6
What about neon then? Get some of that neon rope and pont it to the disc... how would you wire that?

Eric_Shea
Ceramic caliper paint we did for James...
Eric_Shea
What about neon then? Get some of that neon rope and pont it to the disc... how would you wire that?

Get some duct tape and tape it to the backside of the rotor... or for a more permenant mount use some small tube clips (available at Pegasus, Summit, JEGS etc...) and screw those into the rotor. Wire it directly to your headlights. Turn the headlights on and you're rock'n beerchug.gif
djm914-6
Oh thank goodness someone realized I was just kidding. I know I will be a future DAPO, but I'm not that much of a DA (that I know of).

Sorry for the missleading questions, like I implied, I'm just not in the mood to be at work today.

sixnotfour
Hook it up to the brake light switch . Hit the brakes, Holy Hot Brake Look.
For added effect crosdrill rotors. wacko.gif

GoldLine does a good job with the polymer coating Red/Black, there gold paint rusts off in a month.

I want mine Gold Zinc Plated.
SirAndy
who says you can't paint the rotors?

user posted image

read all about it in an earlier thread here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...5229&hl=blackie

wink.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 5 2005, 02:31 PM)

Dave and i are fully up to speed on the "you can paint anything" concept :-)
Eric_Shea
I want mine Gold Zinc Plated.

You rang? laugh.gif
Gint
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 5 2005, 01:31 PM)

user posted image

read all about it in an earlier thread here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...5229&hl=blackie

wink.gif Andy

Just 'cause you can doesn't make it right. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.