Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Calipers - Options? 72
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Ok guys,
Please be patient and help out an old guy who is just getting started on his new project. I have no previous experience with 914's, porches, or Volkswagons either.

I just love the idea of a mid engined air cooled 2 seater. When I get done, I'm driving route 66 - the whole way - Santa Monica to Chicago!

I have aquired a 72 914, that was sitting for 15 years. So now its time to get it back on the road. Not looking for a firebreathing monster, gunna start out getting it running properly, and driving well - canyon carver style.

So in looking / researching, it seems like rebuilt calipers are hard to come by, and new ones are apparently made of unobtanium.

so the best idea is to go with the PBR rebuild kit and new pads? I've never rebuilt a caliper before, I tend to just pick up rebuilds - but this may be a different beast all together.

and is it my imagination, or are the rear calipers and or parts even harder to come by?
mepstein
You can send your calipers to pmbperformance and have them restored to new. Price is very reasonable for what's done.
Jett
+1 send the brakes to PMB (Eric), they do an amazing job!
Dave_Darling
PMB all the way.

Note that 72 is a bit of a cross-over year; there were two slightly different calipers used in that model year. So best to talk with PMB about exactly which struts/rotors/calipers you have.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.