Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help with hub for Smog 1975-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I need some help in the install of a replacement bracket, pulley, sacrificial rubber shock absorbing hub for my 1976 2.0 my smog pump seized up and killed the sacrificial rubber part.

I bought a good used one from Bruce Stone a number of years ago as well as one on eBay with a good used pump. I looked on the search area and only found this by the Cap’n. If someone can expand on this it may help me understand if I can get this in my car without removing any sheet metal. You guys have been a huge help to me over the years and I want to thank all of you. Any tricks are appreciated!

The Cap’n said in a post May 6th 2007 The air injection pump ("smog pump") drive bolts to the outside of the fan. Some earlier fans won't work here. The 3 8mm bolts go through the rubber shock absorbing hub and the fan. However, they DO NOT go through the rubber itself, just the bonded steel plate. Removal can be done with the engine in the car
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

I could not get it. Any ideas from the group? How long doses it take to drop the engine?
ConeDodger
Wow! That is one sexy car!

I can't help though... sad.gif
Krieger
Yes you can do it while the engine is in the car and with no tin removal. It is difficult to see what you are doing though. You should loosen the alternator belt first. Depending on belts age you may want to replace it since you will have to remove the smog pump assembly to change it out in the future. Put the car in 1st gear. Loosen the 3 bolts on the center of the fan. Loosen the three bolts on the t shaped bracket. Reassemble the bolts finger tight first to make sure you don't cross thread them. Snug the t bracket first then the center fan bolts. Readjust fan belt.
burton73
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 18 2017, 10:15 PM) *

Yes you can do it while the engine is in the car and with no tin removal. It is difficult to see what you are doing though. You should loosen the alternator belt first. Depending on belts age you may want to replace it since you will have to remove the smog pump assembly to change it out in the future. Put the car in 1st gear. Loosen the 3 bolts on the center of the fan. Loosen the three bolts on the t shaped bracket. Reassemble the bolts finger tight first to make sure you don't cross thread them. Snug the t bracket first then the center fan bolts. Readjust fan belt.

Hi I got an answer on the removal of the crankshaft to smog pump rubber that breaks when the smog pump freezes. I have removed all the bolts from this old part and removed the smog pump and belt and the part as shown. The problem now is the parts that stayed with the 3 bolts that hold it to the fan will not break lose. They are 14MM and with a socket and all the strength that I can muster I cannot get them to break lose. Picture of the new used part from Bruce Stone and most of the junk part. There is no room for heat to help it and I am not sure that there is a 90-degree impact wrench that would fit. I am not sure if I have to drop the engine?
Thanks,

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment
euro911
Bob, did you try shooting some PB-Blaster on the bolts?
burton73
OK I put PB blaster on like euro911 Mark said to try and it did come lose. Now the problem is I turned on the car for one second and the fan moved out of indexing.
I used a mirror and flashlight to see the hub and there is no front cone that people spoke of. I take it the nose or hub with the indexing notch is what it on the front of the rubber smog shaft pulley thing that I showed before. I have now shown the broken rubber and metal part that I think is what goes up to the fan and then the 3 bolts thread in. It seems like an impossible task. I tried and tried. Please I do not want to pull the engine on this car. The last time I pulled an engine from a 914 was 35 years ago and I was in good shape.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.