Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Novice muffler install - advice needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pugface
Hi guys

Often time when I am trying to do some work on my car, I find instructions that skip certain things because 'everybody knows' some steps. Unfortunately, I don't know all the little tips and tricks.

I just pulled off my exhaust - the car came with a a Bursch glasspack exhaust that makes a terrible sound. My car also came with a bunch of spares, I thought I'd try the stock muffler that came in the pile. Although there were no gaskets when I removed the old muffler, I assume there should be?

Also, occaasioanly I see reference to copper nuts, copper paste, anit-seize - are there extra things I should be doing besides just using a new gasket and a bolt from Ace hardware?

I would like to be able to get this muffler off in a year or so, so any tips are appreciated!

Thanks
pf
Dion
PF you'll need the appropriate gaskets for the type
of heat exchanger you have: 1.7,1.8,2.0?
There are no "copper" nuts per se. I think you are referring to the nuts that
go on the heat exchanger when mounting to case. They are sometimes copper color.
I just used the appropriate nut/bolt on muffler with a little anti-seize.
Torque appropriately.
Dion
Gasket & "copper" nut
TheCabinetmaker
If it were me, I'd bolt them up without the gaskets. Will it leak? Sure, but you will be able to hear the sound of the mufflers to decide which one you want. Then use the gaskets with regular old zinc plated nuts bolts and lock washers. When you remove the muffler a few years down the road grab a couple of long wrenches and tighten them till they break. Copper nuts are useless here.

I would also get in contact with the many 914 folks in the dfw area and the several members in boerne.
scallyk9
In addition to Victor Reinz gaskets, my muffler installation kit came from AA with 6 bolts, 8 washers, and 6 "copper exhaust nut - 8mm self-locking". They don't look copper and I wouldn't be very concerned in that they are at this end of the heat exchanger. The self-locking nuts surprised me. I haven't installed the new muffler yet.
GeorgeRud
I've always used the gaskets and regular bolts with anti seize, washers, lock washers, and nuts from the hardware store to attach the mufflers. I wouldn't recommend using the nylon locknuts as they might melt with heat from the exhaust. They've always worked and have unbolted when needed to swap out the muffler. I think you'll prefer the stock banana muffler to the rather noisy Bursch.
porschetub
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 20 2017, 05:21 PM) *

I've always used the gaskets and regular bolts with anti seize, washers, lock washers, and nuts from the hardware store to attach the mufflers. I wouldn't recommend using the nylon locknuts as they might melt with heat from the exhaust. They've always worked and have unbolted when needed to swap out the muffler. I think you'll prefer the stock banana muffler to the rather noisy Bursch.

great answer and agree.gif ,just don't do them up crazy tight no need,if you have a leak put some exhaust sealant paste in there,you will be good. beer.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 19 2017, 07:53 PM) *

If it were me, I'd bolt them up without the gaskets. Will it leak? Sure, but you will be able to hear the sound of the mufflers to decide which one you want. Then use the gaskets with regular old zinc plated nuts bolts and lock washers. When you remove the muffler a few years down the road grab a couple of long wrenches and tighten them till they break. Copper nuts are useless here.

I would also get in contact with the many 914 folks in the dfw area and the several members in boerne.

I agree, do a test without gaskets.
If you like it it's easy to slip the gaskets in later without lowering the muffler.
pugface
Thanks guys!

I did the 'test bolt-on' of the used original muffler today. Took it out to get the mail, and it did sound better to my ears. Quieter too, although that is relative biggrin.gif Gaskets are on order, and I hope to have it installed for real this weekend

pf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.