Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sideshift Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ber914
I have a tailshift gearbox that is in great condition. If I had a donor sideshift box, how far would I have to strip the tailshift box down to convert it to a sideshifter? I am happy with the shifting but the tail shift rod does not clear my Bursch headers on my 6 conversion. Either I modify my tail shift rod or convert to side shift and hopefully further improve the shifting.

Robert
brant
Its very do able..
I can't do the description justice so I'd recommend that you find a manual or even the wonderful tech article written in laymans terms.

but basically you have to open both boxes and put the internal shift selector rods from one box into the next.

All the while not messing up the delecate shim-gasket on the tail shifter box that is responsible for the R/P adjustment. (if you do loose this setting, you will have to pay a shop to reset your R/P depth)

I think its about a 2-3 hour job for a layman like myself.

brant
Cap'n Krusty
The cluster has to come out, the forks and rails have to be changed, and the rod has to be taken apart and removed. The gasket stack has to be measured and duplicated. When you're done, you'll have to replace the shifter and the rod through the firewall, along with the bushing. Then you have to fabricate the rear shift rod. The Cap'n
jr91472
Don't think you need the side shift box. Others will correct me if I am wrong ar15.gif

Keep everything in the tailshift case, but replace the end cover (and internal tail shifter mechinism) and install the side shifter mechinism and side shift end cover. Your tailshift case should have an access plate were the side shift mechinism goes. Probably have to re-align the shift forks (not so sure here confused24.gif )

It is easier just to do a whole swap of gear boxes. But I understand if the gear stack in your tailshifter is in better condition.

Of course you have to have all new sideshift linkage, upto and including the cockpit shifter. Oh but don't worry, your shift knob is compatible. biggrin.gif Also, you have to have a late model motor mount bar.

good luck
ber914
Any gut feel out there as to whether the improvement in shifting with a sideshifter would justify the additional expense over just modifying my tailshift rod to clear the headers. I am pretty happy with the shifting now - all new bushes and a Rennshift Junior shifter. 1st to 2nd requires a bit of care but 2-3-4-5 are great.

Robert
jr91472
My improvement was huge. But my tailshifter was toast. Definetely NOT an apples to apples comparison. Going from 1st to 2nd was actually the biggest improvement.

I have heard some here say a properly set up tailshifter is just as good as a side shifter. But I don't think those German engineers updated the tranny for nothing.

Root_Werks
If your tail shifter has ALL new bushings, even the ones at the shifter/couple, firewall, trans etc. I think they actually shift rather nicely.

Tail shifter needing a shifter rod mod? Bizzare? Aren't they pretty much straight? That is what you want for most six conversions anway. idea.gif
ber914
Dan

The shift rod is pretty straight (but obviously being a tailshift is offset away from the centre of the car, towards the headers) and the fit is fine with the headers that came with the car. However the RHS header was toast so I bought a set of Bursch headers which were ceramic coated. However the Bursch headers are bent differently and actually interfere with the shift rod - hence the required mod. I am currently having to run the old header on the RHS.

Robert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.