Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
On the way home from the Phoenix Club event, I noticed a slight aroma of burning oil. A smell by the way that I am sad to say I am somewhat familiar with. I discovered an old pretty ratty cork type valve cover casket that was slightly distorted. I decided to look up the John Rogers valve cover modification on Pelican Parts and welded up the side that was leaking. I used a new silicone gasket from 914 rubber. It looks dry so far but I haven't really driven it much since finished. Here's the tech article. A pretty easy mod. that might save ya some grief in the future. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_covers.htm
Elliot Cannon
To do this job, I had to replace my beach chair/creeper/furniture dolly. The last one got wrecked when I lowered the lift before moving the chair. headbang.gif
Mikey914
Actually,
I have about 5 sets of the valve covers I had Cary Bead blast we are planing to to these up as a service. Will be finished with a nice enamel in Black. Just need to finalize my costs, but doing these in sets of 10 would be even more cost effective. I'll try to get some more cores to do these on an exchange basis.
michael7810
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 20 2017, 08:12 PM) *

Actually,
I have about 5 sets of the valve covers I had Cary Bead blast we are planing to to these up as a service. Will be finished with a nice enamel in Black. Just need to finalize my costs, but doing these in sets of 10 would be even more cost effective. I'll try to get some more cores to do these on an exchange basis.

I am interested in a set on an exchange basis.
malcolm2
I can't read the Pelican article. They have some bouncing advertisement that continues to block all the directions. Anyone else have that issue?

Click to view attachment

So, if I may ask. What does this modification do? It can't stop leaks, the welded in tab does not cover the complete cover.

Does it assist in holding the gasket during installation? seems extreme for that, but I will say that I have had one slip out. Man does that baby leak when a gasket is wedged in there sideways.

Elliot Cannon
The stock valve cover only has a small approx. one inch tab to keep the gaskets from distorting inward and allowing leaks. Welding a continuation of that tab completely around the inside of the valve cover prevents the gasket from slipping in. Are you using my link or going directly to the Pelican Parts web site?
Mikey914
Correct
The tab welded in keeps the gasket in place..
JustinMeier
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 21 2017, 06:20 AM) *

I can't read the Pelican article. They have some bouncing advertisement that continues to block all the directions. Anyone else have that issue?

So, if I may ask. What does this modification do? It can't stop leaks, the welded in tab does not cover the complete cover.

Does it assist in holding the gasket during installation? seems extreme for that, but I will say that I have had one slip out. Man does that baby leak when a gasket is wedged in there sideways.

Use a real browser wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Mar 21 2017, 09:00 AM) *

Is that Windows XP?
unsure.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2017, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Mar 21 2017, 09:00 AM) *

Is that Windows XP?
unsure.gif

something called DOS??? and then it has a 3. smoke.gif
Mark Henry
I've been doing something like this since the 80's but you don't have to go all around like that.
You just need a couple extra small tabs top and bottom, I've never seen them fail at the ends with the extra tabs.

The way it's done in the article I can see you warping the cover and creating more problems than you solve. blink.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2017, 10:55 AM) *

Is that Windows XP?
unsure.gif

Windows 7 without all the pretty effects.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 22 2017, 08:10 AM) *

I've been doing something like this since the 80's but you don't have to go all around like that.
You just need a couple extra small tabs top and bottom, I've never seen them fail at the ends with the extra tabs.

The way it's done in the article I can see you warping the cover and creating more problems than you solve. blink.gif

I think that's an easier solution and agree.gif ,I have glued the buggers on to the cover with reasonable success but.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.