Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just put in LED dash lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Just got eight dash LED bulbs from Super Bright LED's, BA7S-W Cool Whites. I thought I would just pop them in. Not so fast. I tried one new bulb in a center console gauge first. The LED bulb would not go into the plastic bulb fixture quite far enough to turn and lock due to a small metal rim on the bulb. I did not want to file the rim down on the bulb, so I removed the light fixture and filed about a 1/16 of an inch off the top. This would allow the bulb to go in far enough now to turn and lock. Then when I did get the bulb in, it didn't work. I quickly discovered that LED bulbs have a polarity and you must hook up the 2 wire leads in the correct polarity. Ahh, it worked now. I filed down the bulb fixtures on the other 2 console gauges and moved on to the dash gauges. Thankfully the metal bulb fixtures in the dash gauges fit the LED bulbs without needing shortening. Then I started working on the speedometer bulbs. I didn't seat and rotate one of the LED's completely in it's fixture and it fell out INSIDE the speedo! I had to remove the speedo from the dash and spend an hour trying to figure out how to get the LED bulb back out the hole without disassembling the speedo. I finally succeeded and put everything back together. Here's a few before and after pictures, but they don't really show the quality of the improvement in the light. The first picture is original bulbs, the second and third pics are the new LEDs.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Larmo63
Looks great!!!!!
RickS
LEDs are the way to go. I have the blueish ones too, but the ones in the original yellow incandescent look great too.
jpapatrout
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 20 2017, 09:55 PM) *

LEDs are the way to go. I have the blueish ones too, but the ones in the original yellow incandescent look great too.

Big improvement. Can LEDs be too bright? Should i shop for mid-powered LEDs, or will any amount of lumens work OK?
sb914
Nice!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(jpapatrout @ Mar 22 2017, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 20 2017, 09:55 PM) *

Big improvement. Can LEDs be too bright? Should i shop for mid-powered LEDs, or will any amount of lumens work OK?

At least with the bulbs I purchased, I don't think you will find them to be too bright. They are a little bit brighter and more of a white light than the old ones.
RickS
+ 1
Mikey914
I have both versions in stock. So if you have a rubber order they can be thrown in. Just got more LED headlights in too. Just need to get them listed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.