Full Version: interior light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gulf908
guys

I am having trouble finding a replacement for my cracked Hella interior light
the p/n I have from the cd is 111 947 111 D - NLA from Porsche as expected
I bought one from a local VW spares place but I dont think its the right one
does anyone have good pics front & back of the correct light please ?

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
HaraldD
Hello Dennis,

here are some photos.
But - I`m sorry - the Interior light is not for sale!
Maybe I can try to find one for you (here in Germany)

My Best
Harald
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Mmmmmmm........ the Holy Grail
gulf908
thanks Harald

I definately have the wrong one
Now I know what I am looking for

very helpful site here

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
Cal
Bug City has a used one for sale on their website....it's not cheap $90.00.

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=dome+light

mepstein
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 21 2017, 09:13 AM) *

Bug City has a used one for sale on their website....it's not cheap $90.00.

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=dome+light

that actually is cheap if its the right piece.
orthobiz
More pics here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=83033

Paul
914Sixer
I have some NOS ones BUT they do not have the white switch or chrome ring however they are made in Germany.
Coondog
Broke my original one when I attempted to change the bulb. Was a little pissed, then found out how much a NOS one cost and I cried..... mad.gif
Mikey914
It is possible to reproduce these biggrin.gif
wes
If so you'll probably sell one to most of us!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 22 2017, 01:43 PM) *

If so you'll probably sell one to most of us!

agree.gif

Or in my case three to me....
RickS
Google "914 Interior Light" and there are a few to choose from, maybe not OEM or NOS but could work. Even the dreaded Auto Atlanta shows.
Mikey914
There are many variations of the interior light that are available. the "chrome" ring and white switch are the one thing that make these correct.

Anyone have a broken one the can spot me? there should be a few of those out there.
Coondog
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 22 2017, 10:04 PM) *

There are many variations of the interior light that are available. the "chrome" ring and white switch are the one thing that make these correct.

Anyone have a broken one the can spot me? there should be a few of those out there.

Gotta have the chrome ring, switch color I don't really care
Krieger
QUOTE(HaraldD @ Mar 21 2017, 01:19 AM) *

Hello Dennis,

here are some photos.
But - I`m sorry - the Interior light is not for sale!
Maybe I can try to find one for you (here in Germany)

My Best
Harald
Click to view attachment

I love the VW logo on the box!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 22 2017, 11:04 PM) *

Mark - let me look today. I think I have a very nice chrome ring made in Germany version out of the 1972 Willow car right now. If so I can send it to you.

Here is a picture from last year.

Click to view attachment
914Next
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 23 2017, 01:04 AM) *

Hi Mark,

I have the original from my '73. It is in OK condition but has the cracking in the lens and the typical warp of the unit from the heat. I found a nos one that is in my car now. I'd like to keep the original but would be happy to lend to you.

Steve
Mikey914
Please PM me so I can borrow one for a month or so. I do think this is worthwhile. The only issue is registered brands, I can't reproduce them, but in all other items could be done.
Thanks,
Mark
gulf908
Harald

you have pm

thanks
Dennis
GregAmy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 23 2017, 01:21 AM) *

That's because it's a Volkswagen Beetle part. All parts beginning with 111 were designed for the original Type 1.

<----- former VW parts manager

I am totally fascinated that these parts are going for this kinda money, especially since replacements are available. Are there enough people out there doing concourse-level restorations on these cars to justify this, or are we just getting silly over, well something silly?

And if Mark can reproduce these to look like the originals, but can't repro the logos, are these going to be valuable to the concourse restorations?

I'm truly entertained with the fascination with these.
GregAmy
So I was digging through my parts boxes over the weekend (another project) and I came across an obviously-old interior light. It's an oddball, with tarnished chrome trim, no Hella logo, different spring clips for the bulbs and instead of push on terminals it uses screw terminals, where you insert bare wires and tighten a screw on them to secure. What do I have here?

I also found a broken half with "Hella" on it. Oh so close! wink.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 29 2017, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 23 2017, 01:21 AM) *

That's because it's a Volkswagen Beetle part. All parts beginning with 111 were designed for the original Type 1.

<----- former VW parts manager

I am totally fascinated that these parts are going for this kinda money, especially since replacements are available. Are there enough people out there doing concourse-level restorations on these cars to justify this, or are we just getting silly over, well something silly?

And if Mark can reproduce these to look like the originals, but can't repro the logos, are these going to be valuable to the concourse restorations?

I'm truly entertained with the fascination with these.

I've tried several different replacements. None of them fit as well as the original.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 3 2017, 02:19 PM) *

I've tried several different replacements. None of them fit as well as the original.

agree.gif
Mikey914
probably why it's worth making a more exact reproduction.
saigon71
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 3 2017, 05:27 PM) *

probably why it's worth making a more exact reproduction.

That would be great Mark. Put me down for the group buy. smile.gif
Jasfsmith
I'm in for two.
Mikey914
Got the sample light. Yes I can do these, but the Germans built another V2 rocket here.

There is lots of detail that is missing on the newer reproductions. Not just a matter of making a lens to swap over parts. These are very well made.
Mark
GregAmy
So what's this for, with the screw-in wire terminals?
914Sixer
Early oval bug up to about 1968. Pictures of a NOS Hella added. Had to turn off flash, chrome reflection was too high.
914_teener
Mark are you still doing this?

This is the second crappy replacement non oem light I.ve replaced since I.ve owned my car.

Can a simple cover lens be make with an led light?

These break with the rivets on the switch end of the molding. I think this cracking is amplified when the rivets heat from the light.

Rob

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 2 2017, 02:47 PM) *

Mark are you still doing this?

This is the second crappy replacement non oem light I.ve replaced since I.ve owned my car.

Can a simple cover lens be make with an led light?

These break with the rivets on the switch end of the molding. I think this cracking is amplified when the rivets heat from the light.

Rob

Click to view attachment

The most common failure of these lamps is caused by installation of incorrect bulbs.
Too much heat causes cracking and melting.
The pictured lamp has other issues.
Most German housings have bulb specs incorporated inside one way or another.
Mikey914
Yes these are still on the docket I have started these, only the upgrade to the new airplane has set me back about 6 weeks longer than planned, but I will complete as soon as I get the check out. A few other les complex projects are coming online shortly.
mepstein
I put led bulbs in all the lights in my car. The lenses run cool to barely warm to the touch vs hot before. Should make all the plastic lenses last longer.
Larmo63
Quit playing around with airplanes and get the more important task done!!!!!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 2 2017, 02:55 PM) *

I put led bulbs in all the lights in my car. The lenses run cool to barely warm to the touch vs hot before. Should make all the plastic lenses last longer.

agree.gif
914_teener
I agree....got a replacement led.

PanelBilly
I've been looking for something custom that has a close fit. LED is a must. Found one nice. E but it was $70. Figure the car has so many non oem things, it doesn't matter.
914_teener
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 2 2017, 06:54 PM) *

I've been looking for something custom that has a close fit. LED is a must. Found one nice. E but it was $70. Figure the car has so many non oem things, it doesn't matter.

Post what you got Billy I'm interested. I thought there was another thread about this but I couldn't find it. Just how stupid expensive this crappy design is. I know its original but what a worthless design and the amount of light for the wattage is silly given the led tech around nowdays.

I was hoping Mark would mold something stock looking but with an led holder instead of the POS that is the original. Sound like he is going through an FAA rebuild...yikes.
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment
kgruen2
Any word on if the light has been reproduced, and will it fit properly?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 2 2017, 01:55 PM) *

Yes these are still on the docket I have started these, only the upgrade to the new airplane has set me back about 6 weeks longer than planned, but I will complete as soon as I get the check out. A few other les complex projects are coming online shortly.

IN process
kgruen2
What's the latest on these lights. Are they available yet and do they fit like the original? If so, I want one.
914_teener
QUOTE(kgruen2 @ Jul 3 2017, 10:12 AM) *

What's the latest on these lights. Are they available yet and do they fit like the original? If so, I want one.

Almost sorry I brought it up Mark.

Thanks for all the stuff you have done. I don.t know how you habe done it and the day job.

But you have.
PanelBilly
This is the one that fits a 911. Anybody know what size it is? SLightly larger would be alright, but I wouldn't want anything too big

Click to view attachment
kgruen2
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 3 2017, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(kgruen2 @ Jul 3 2017, 10:12 AM) *

Almost sorry I brought it up Mark.

Thanks for all the stuff you have done. I don.t know how you habe done it and the day job.

But you have.

Don't be almost sorry you brought it up. For everyone that needs a part for the aging 914 fleet, there is probably 1000+ that need that same part.
914_teener
Ok....so follow up to this broken crappy replacement interior light and overheating.

Bought a replacement lens from Pelican which comes with the crappy filament bulb which overheats. Also another crappy design since the bulb rotates in the holder when the switch is moved.

Found a Dorman LED for 10 bucks, soldered the leads to the bulb holder and then glue gunned in the LED board to the lens....carefully.

Viola.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 2 2017, 12:28 AM) *

Ok....so follow up to this broken crappy replacement interior light and overheating.

Bought a replacement lens from Pelican which comes with the crappy filament bulb which overheats. Also another crappy design since the bulb rotates in the holder when the switch is moved.

Found a Dorman LED for 10 bucks, soldered the leads to the bulb holder and then glue gunned in the LED board to the lens....carefully.

Viola.

Click to view attachment

You spelled Walla! wrong.
BillC
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 2 2017, 06:27 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 2 2017, 12:28 AM) *

Viola.

Click to view attachment

You spelled Walla! wrong.

It's "voila".

A viola is a string instrument slightly larger than a violin.

"Walla" is half of a city in Washington state.

Anyways....

When I visited the Stoddard booth at Hershey, I asked them about 914 interior lights. They said they were in the process of making new plastic castings for the lights, but that it would be a few more months. Their plan is (was?) to sell the plastic part with some small pop rivets as a repair for a broken stock light -- you drill out the rivets on the broken light, move the metal parts to the new light and rivet them in place with the included pop rivets.

Unfortunately, have not heard anything recent about the new lights.
Mikey914
Still in training, it's been a mess. The sim broke 3 times (and now not my doing), so we are behind. Hopefully we can complete this soon. Only 3 more rides (that they are trying to find space in the schedule for) and off to the aircraft.

With that being said the master cylinders are almost ready. We did manage to get the 1st prototype out for testing. We are anticipating that it will meet all specs, but before we launch full scale production we need to complete this. We have the castings ready for machining, and are ready to finish in mass on all of the machined parts.

Not to give excuses but we will need to complete the master cylinder project before we finish this. I can do these, and inexpensively. just need a little longer than planned. I was not planning to go through a training cycle, but when offer I had to. It will also mean more funds for making stuff! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.