Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tbone1819
If i have a transmission,linkage and shifter from a 1971, could i put it into my 73?
Cairo94507
Why would you go from a side-shifter transaxle to a tail-shifter? But yes, assuming you swap over all of the various parts unique to a tail-shifter to go into your side-shifter it should work. I say that based upon the fact we upgraded my tail-shifter Six transaxle to a side-shifter because it is a better shift mechanism. So I see no reason it could not go the other way too.
tbone1819
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 21 2017, 10:24 AM) *

Why would you go from a side-shifter transaxle to a tail-shifter? But yes, assuming you swap over all of the various parts unique to a tail-shifter to go into your side-shifter it should work. I say that based upon the fact we upgraded my tail-shifter Six transaxle to a side-shifter because it is a better shift mechanism. So I see no reason it could not go the other way too.

Do you have a photo of both examples of these transmissions? I am so new to these cars. I needed synchros in my trans and found a guy who was selling his recently rebuilt one for $300, so I jumped on it. He gave me everything too.
Dave_Darling
Ah, you responded while I was typing.

As Cairo said, you can swap the shifting bits from the later transmission to the earlier one and have the correct (and better!) shift linkage setup with the gearing and synchros and such from the earlier trans.

--DD
brant
To convert between a tail and side shifter requires changing the motor bar. Motor mounts. All 3 parts of the shifter itself and shift linkage

Your
Tail shifter can internally be converted to a side shifter using your bad tranny as a core to take the rear cover and internal shifting forks out of
Mark Henry
Why? confused24.gif

A 911-901 core is going for a good buck these days, sell it and you can likely buy a good 914 sideshifter core and all the new bits to do a full rebuild.
mepstein
The linkage on the firewall is different. It would be a lot of work to convert to the early linkage.
malcolm2
QUOTE(tbone1819 @ Mar 21 2017, 10:20 AM) *

Do you have a photo of both examples of these transmissions? I am so new to these cars. I needed synchros in my trans and found a guy who was selling his recently rebuilt one for $300, so I jumped on it. He gave me everything too.

Google "914 transmission tail shift"

or this link

then open another browser and do: "914 transmission side shift"

Under the input bar will be a way to look at IMAGES. Click the word "IMAGES". It won't take you long to see the difference.
tbone1819
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 21 2017, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(tbone1819 @ Mar 21 2017, 10:20 AM) *

Google "914 transmission tail shift"

or this link

then open another browser and do: "914 transmission side shift"

Under the input bar will be a way to look at IMAGES. Click the word "IMAGES". It won't take you long to see the difference.

Thanks guys!
tbone1819

Thank you so much!
mlindner
Like MarkHenry said, sell the 71...Then send your 73 to Doctor Evil for a tune up, he has all the parts needed. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.