Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - Edd China Leaving Wheeler Dealers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Frankvw
too bad...I liked that tall guy and his way of talking tech.
And...he liked aircooled cars best, which was a plus for me.

Cairo94507
OMG! It just sucks that this had to be ruined by money hungry, greedy, bureaucrats. This was indeed one of the best car shows as far as I was concerned. Edd China is an extremely talented man with great communications skills. I hope he ends up doing another show like WD. Best wishes Edd. beerchug.gif
csdilligaf
Really like the show with him on it. Re watched all the Porsche episodes recently. I'll give the new guy a fair chance.
aggiezig
WTF.gif THIS SUCKS

I might still watch for the good old, "'old out yer 'end". But, Edd was 75% of the reason I tuned in and 100% of the reason I re-watched old episodes.
pete000
Wow, saw him last year at the Pasadena Rose Parade Float viewing, he towered above the crowd walking down the street!

GregAmy
"Bureaucrats"...?

Let's face it: the last year kinda sucked. And the one before that was not that much mo betta. It was clear the focus of the show was moving from "buying low and adding value" to hoopla, fancy clothes and 25 minutes of driving around at the end. Oh, and we also kinda worked on the car, but we're not showing much of that to you.

We - well, I - watched for the magic that Edd added to the cars through ingenuity and sweat. That was clearly not in the plans for the new owners. Therefore, I really just lost interest in it after a while.

Good for Edd, getting out while the getting out was good. He banked some coin and built up a good brand for himself in the process, and I'm quite confident this isn't the last we heard of Mr China...
Front yard mechanic
Another good thing outsourced to China
GeorgeRud
I could stomach Mike Brewer, but Ed China was the real appeal of that show. I hope the new fellow is as talented as Ed. Hopefully he will do great in the future.

It sums that the only shows that seem to be worthwhile to watch are Fantom Works and Restoration Garage since they seem to do quality work. Obviously, all these shows are scripted to make entertaining TV.
mlindner
Velocity is Nuts....Ed China is the best " us" car guys have ever had. All the best to Ed. You will be missed, a lot. Sad in Merrimac WI, Mark
PanelBilly
I wonder if Amazon will jump in and grab him. They're making a ton of shows with the Top Gear team.
sb914
Met him at cars and coffee. Nice guy and super tall Click to view attachment
flat4guy
Love those guys, one of the good shows on the air. sad.gif
GermermanCarGuy
Crap. mad.gif

One of the few shows that actually helped "the little guy". Will definitely miss Edd.

As for the new guy, good luck. A precedence has been set.
mgp4591
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 21 2017, 04:15 PM) *

I could stomach Mike Brewer, but Ed China was the real appeal of that show. I hope the new fellow is as talented as Ed. Hopefully he will do great in the future.

It sums that the only shows that seem to be worthwhile to watch are Fantom Works and Restoration Garage since they seem to do quality work. Obviously, all these shows are scripted to make entertaining TV.

agree.gif
I'd have to add Graveyard Cars.... Mark is embarrassing to watch at times but the quality of work really seems to show. Those Mopars look bone stock when they roll them out!
scallyk9
Very sad. Sure the stuff was scripted as with any "reality" show and Ed's labor was never included in the expenses for the build, but Ed's personality, and the cars, made it worth watching.

The BBC managed to tank their own ratings for Top Gear also.
McLovin
The 914 episode is what inspired me to get a 914. Something about the way the interior looked after restoration that just made me want to drive one.

And yeah...the best part of the show was the mechanical work. I can look at pictures and videos of cars all day long. I watched to learn stuff.
Dion
Ed is the man!
I actually play Wheeler Dealer reruns in the garage when I'm working on the 914.
Ed inspires me to tackle stuff. He makes it all look easy.
Just a calm demeanor. His YouTube show should be interesting.
carcus
Well, this bums me out big time. That was my favorite show and he taught everything so a layman could understand it. I loved the variety of cars and learned much. Ed was the main reason I watched the program.
sfrenck
Ed is the reason I got my 914 - not the 914 episode, but his scripted wrenching on cars while I sat there and watched.

GeorgeRud
In watching his YouTube video of him explaining his exit, it seems like Velocity is trying to change the direction of the show and cut back on the actual mechanical work that Edd did (and that made the show so addictive). I hope he can continue doing videos or find other opportunities to broadcast his talents, and give him kudos to have the good sense to bail when he did. I'm afraid the show may go down the same path as the American Top Gear.
jpapatrout
Bummer, Edd was the reason i watched also. Most of the other shows are just a waste of time. I enjoyed watching a car show that focused on cars, not weird personalities.
somd914
Why is it be it cars, entertainment, or news Americans prefer shallowness - nothing with substance? There goes a decent show.

I started watching WD perhaps 9 or 10 years ago when my soon-to-be-driving sons stumbled across the show and got me hooked. Sure, I would have preferred even more details about the work, and sure Ed's time was not factored in (until recently), and sure sometimes they should have done more work, but it sure beat the "build it 7 days and fire someone every week" of the other shows.

TonyA
I can't really stand the grave yards guy...Ed was the best RIP Weeler Dealers.
don-6
My wife and I were watching an episode of WD on the DVR last night.
She likes the show because Edd China explained what he was working on in terms that she could understand.
Edd was not in the scene, and Mike was working on the car. My wife said to me "Edd is going to leave the show".
Afterwards I opened up this forum and saw that Edd is in fact leaving the show.
I guess the wife does know best.
I will miss Edd China, but I will give the new mechanic a chance.
SKL1

Another show to take off the "to do list." I usually FF'ed thru the Mike stuff and watched Edd because I'd usually learn something...
EdwardBlume
This sucks! Edd's awesome but nothing lasts forever.
falcor75
I can only hope that Edd gets do do his own show where he can go further into detail in repairing and fixing stuff instead of the buy-fix-flip-routine.

Learning to repair something properly is educational, inspirational and in the long run better for the Environment.

dcheek
This is the second bit of bad news I've gotten this week. Hemmings Sports & Exotic ceased publication now this.

What's next?

Dave
iankarr
Bummer that Edd is leaving, but I'd bet that his new youtube stuff will be 100x better than what he did on WD. If only because it will be pure. No network notes...no politics...just great car stuff.

Bravo, Edd for having the integrity to protect your "brand".
Big Len
QUOTE(dcheek @ Mar 23 2017, 08:49 AM) *

This is the second bit of bad news I've gotten this week. Hemmings Sports & Exotic ceased publication now this.

What's next?

Dave

Air Cooled Gathering has decided to allow water cooled Yugos to enter.
SKL1
Be careful- one of my best friends in the PCA had a Yugo several years back- he detailed it like he did his Porsches. I don't think it knew how to handle that!
He got a lot of laughs when he'd show up to an event in it...

Yep, nothing better than a Commie Fiat!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.