Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 Flywheel/Clutch Kit for 901 Trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beach914
Other than Patrick Motorsports can anyone advise me as to any other options to go to get a kit that allows me to use the 901 with my 82 3.0 ?

If there is another thread that explains my options please advise.

Thx
Mark Henry
KEP, Kennedy, it's likely what PMS sells with an upcharge.

911 flywheel, KEP adaptor ring and their 228mm beefed VW bus pressure plate and sachs disc.

Depending if your flywheel is a big or little hole you will need a new pilot bearing and/or the big hole pilot bearing holder.
Not in your case, but if you had a early 3.0 crank you can only use the little hole flywheel, no bolt holes for the PB holder.

After that it's bolt on like stock deal.
Beach914
thanks for the quick response Mark ! I'll check it out.

David
mmascari
I also purchased the KEP solution. I am using the stock 3.0 911 flywheel so I didnt have to buy their flywheel. The complete kit was $600 which included the flywheel ring, pressure plate, clutch and release bearing. Their pricing was:
- one piece flywheel - 9 bolt - $300
- flywheel ring - $170 which converts to 9" 228mm
- clutch disk(228mm) - $85
- requires 9" clutch pressure plate (stage 2) $225
- release bearing $121
Mark Henry
I built my own for just over $200...but I'm kinda handy. smile.gif
Some call it 9", but really both mine and the KEP version the pressure plate and disc is early VW vanagon 228mm. Also like KEP the PP is heavy duty basicly a bit more spring pressure. My PP was made by CSP.
The 228mm bus clutch matches up perfectly with the 911 225mm flywheel.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Krieger
Mark, it looks like you trimmed down the 911 flywheel and lightened the ring you made. I did almost exactly the same thing, but I bought my ring from KEP.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 23 2017, 01:27 AM) *

Mark, it looks like you trimmed down the 911 flywheel and lightened the ring you made. I did almost exactly the same thing, but I bought my ring from KEP.

Yes, the flywheel had about a half inch square "lip"around the OD, this removed a huge amount of rotating mass. Drilling the holes in the adaptor maybe not so much weight, but every bit counts.
The freakin' material that porsche and VW used in their flywheels is hard as hell, some pretty slow going cutting this poop.

Would have been nice to have a spin index to lay out the hole in the adaptor, but I don't have one so I did it oldschool.

IPB Image

IPB Image
EdwardBlume
I'm ugrading the 2.4 to a 3.0 on the ABM. Can you tell what kind of flywheel I have? It's a 79-80 ROW.
Mark Henry
Rob that's the 3.0 "small hole" flywheel, except for the pilot bearing area they're both the same dimensions.

Somewhere around '80-81 they changed to the big hole flywheel. The small hole/big hole refers to the center pilot bearing hole. Small hole the pilot bearing presses into the flywheel while the big hole uses a pilot bearing holder that bolts to the crank.
The only gotcha is the early cranks were not drilled for the big hole pilot bearing holder. The small hole fly will fit any year SC, the big hole fly only fits 3.0 with the cranks drilled for the holder.

If you compare my flywheel to Robs you can see the small hole/big hole difference in the center.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.