Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Switching back to efi from carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jbuggyus
Hello, i am looking at a nice 74 914 with a 1.8 liter unfortunately it has been converted to carbs and the owner does not have the efi setup as this is how he putchased it years ago. My question is how hard is it to convert back. I assume i just need to find a used efi setup , instal , plug back in, and tune? Is there something else i should know? The purchase price would need ro reflect the amount of work needed or just look fo another car. Thanks
timothy_nd28
Conversion back to Ljet isn't all that difficult, a few hours and a few beers. The real question would be: does this engine have the original FI cam shaft or was it changed to a carb cam?
Jbuggyus
Just asked the seller and he thinks the rebuild was to stock specs but does not have the paperwork. What can i expect to pay for a used L jet efi set up?
timothy_nd28
500.00 dollars for a used known working Ljet setup is a fair price.
jpapatrout
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 22 2017, 03:57 PM) *

Hey, jbuggyus, i have a 1974 1.8 that i am converting from f.i, to carbs. Contact me if you need my old setup.
Jbuggyus
QUOTE(jpapatrout @ Mar 22 2017, 06:26 PM) *

Hey, jbuggyus, i have a 1974 1.8 that i am converting from f.i, to carbs. Contact me if you need my old setup.

Thank you, i will contact you if i get this car. Im looking at it on sunday.
struckn
QUOTE(jpapatrout @ Mar 22 2017, 03:26 PM) *

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll need to change the fuel pumps. FI uses a 30 PSI, Carbs use a 3.5 PSI.

The Cam Change means pulling the engine and splinting the Case to get the CAM swapped out.

Also find out what you will need for ignition timing. The FI uses a CPU, where as the Carb fires using a Distributor and coil for ignition. I'm no expert but these are things you need to figure out.
JeffBowlsby
What a coincidence! L-Jet requires a dizzy and coil too.
pete000
I like this Fi set up.

Not cheap but very complete.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 22 2017, 08:38 PM) *

Also find out what you will need for ignition timing. The FI uses a CPU, where as the Carb fires using a Distributor and coil for ignition. I'm no expert but these are things you need to figure out.

Nope! L-jet doesn't need a special dizzy, but D-jet does. It will work with the stock, mallory, etc and even a (yuck) 009 dizzy.

But struckn is correct about the pump and it has to have a stock cam. If the case hasn't been opened and it's kind of sucky on power it's likely it still has the stock cam. A known good 914 L-jet is a real nice system for a stock engine, plus in the future you can build a stock 2.0 and still use the L-jet.
Jbuggyus
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 22 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Nope! L-jet doesn't need a special dizzy, but D-jet does. It will work with the stock, mallory, etc and even a (yuck) 009 dizzy.

But struckn is correct about the pump and it has to have a stock cam. If the case hasn't been opened and it's kind of sucky on power it's likely it still has the stock cam. A known good 914 L-jet is a real nice system for a stock engine, plus in the future you can build a stock 2.0 and still use the L-jet.

Thank you for all the tips. I have worked on a lot of VWs but not much on the way of EFI. If this car wasnt such a nice rust free car even in the color i wanted, even simi close to me I would probably pass on the car . I know on type 1 engines you can pull the oil pump and the cam number is stamped on it, is it the same on 914 (type IV engine)?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jbuggyus @ Mar 22 2017, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 22 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Thank you for all the tips. I have worked on a lot of VWs but not much on the way of EFI. If this car wasnt such a nice rust free car even in the color i wanted, even simi close to me I would probably pass on the car . I know on type 1 engines you can pull the oil pump and the cam number is stamped on it, is it the same on 914 (type IV engine)?

A stock cam won't have numbers, but it will have a rivet on timing gear.
Most aftermarket cams will be numbered, but not all of them.

I have an aftermarket mystery cam with a brand new gear and perfect lifters, but no clue as to the grind. One day I'll have to spec it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.