Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
I just got my Pertronix Ignitor! The catalog says it will work with a "high output coil". The directions say "never" use a HEI type coil. I have a hei coil! Is there a difference between the HO the catatlog is talking about vs the hei? Can I not use this with my coil?
Mueller
it might have something to do with the resistance of the coil??

not sure, you might want to do google for HEI coils and Pertronix and see what pops up, they might be a fix or you might have to get a new coil (I have a brand new Accel SuperCoil for sale smile.gif )

Mueller
What type of coil can I use with the Ignitor™? How do I check my coils resistance? (12V negative ground only)

To determine if your systems coil is compatible with the Ignitor, some measurements should be taken prior to installation of the Ignitor. Caution… While performing this test, never leave the ignition switch on for more than 30 seconds at a time.
Set your voltmeter to a 15 or 20-volt scale. Attach an 18 or 20 AWG jumper wire from the negative coil terminal to an engine ground. Attach positive (red) lead of your voltmeter to the positive side of the coil, and the negative (black) lead to an engine ground. Turn the ignition switch to the run position. Now read the voltage at the positive coil terminal. Turn the ignition switch off. If the voltage measured is approximately 12 volts, no resistance wire is present. A typical resistance wire will provide 9 - 6 volts.
The next step is to determine the resistance in the primary ignition. Label the wires attached to the coil terminals and note their appropriate location. Make sure that the ignition switch is off and disconnect all wires from the coil. Adjust your meter to the lowest ? ohm scale. If you are using an analog style meter make sure to zero the needle. Measure from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Write your measurement down.
Now the maximum system amperage can be determined, divide your voltage measurement by your coil resistance measurement. This will give you the system current or amperage.
Four cylinder engines should not exceed 4 amps. Six and eight cylinder engines should not exceed 8.5 amps. If the total amperage in your system is higher than the amount recommended for your application, you should install a ballast resistor.
Example Voltage 12
Resistance 1.5
12 / 1.5 = 8
Total amperage 8

according to their website, 1.5 to 3 ohms..but not sure what else could be different.....

why do you have a GM HEI coil??
Trekkor
I used the Bosch Blue coil on the FOUR and am using it on the SIX, now.

Works great, instant start, good power and with the MSD the plugs are opened up to .045.

KT
akellym
I know I can switch coils, I even have my old one. Just hoping that I can keep the Pro Fire.
Mueller
QUOTE (akellym @ May 5 2005, 06:48 PM)
I know I can switch coils, I even have my old one. Just hoping that I can keep the Pro Fire.

from a quick search, it looks like your coil should be .6 ohms, the addition of a $5-$10 resistor sold by Mallory or MSD will move the resistance to what the Pertronixs can live with.

I accept no responsibility for fried electronics biggrin.gif wacko.gif
akellym
thanks for the help! I'll just stick the old coil back on for tonight to test it.
Rouser
The ProFire M50 is not an HEI module (you're confused about HEI applications), is rated @ 3.0 ohms, and good for points or breakerless ignition.
user posted image

You should be fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.