Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear "bulkhead - adhesive removal? replace fiberboard?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Ok so I have the cabin stripped down on the 72 914 - except the parking brake - how the heck does that come out?
Starting job 1:
anyway - the rear "Bulkhead" metal is in great shape, by and large has the original paint in very good condition - excepting the metal trays at the bottom that hold up the liner (I think).

So I need to wire wheel those trays, hit em with primer and a paint, but what about the rest - it is covered with spatters of what had to be adhesive for the liner - do you remove that? if so? how? any solvent? or what?

and then that liner, does any one make a replacement? how do you guys deal with that? the original is in fairly good shape, but is has been wet, and it's old - whats the preferred fix there?
Seelenfan
914rubber

These guys offer a replacement fiberglass item for the firewall behind the seats. you will also need to cover it.
Calwaterbear
Thanks, I am liking alot of the stuff 914 rubber has. This fiberglass piece you pointed out - that was my next question, because it obviously needs replacement in my vehicle, even though ita a bit steep for me - 250 for the parts, and another 175 for the vinyl cover, I suspect thats probably the only good option there - EXCEPT , it is currently not available.

But I am specifically talking about the liner that goes between the sculpted seat holder backing, and the actual metal fire wall. Mine has a flat pad that fits in there, thats what I was asking about!
Mikey914
Yes in short supply right now. We are actually making an improved and less expensive product. We are about 6 weeks out but it will change this part for the better, both in price and quality.
HansJan
[quote name='Calwaterbear' date='Mar 23 2017, 03:39 PM' post='2467451']
Thanks, I am liking alot of the stuff 914 rubber has. This fiberglass piece you pointed out - that was my next question, because it obviously needs replacement in my vehicle, even though ita a bit steep for me - 250 for the parts, and another 175 for the vinyl cover, I suspect thats probably the only good option there - EXCEPT , it is currently not available.

On my car the cardboard backing was also in very bad condition. The PO had installed new vinyl over it. But the board was just falling apart. Almost ordered the fiberglass replacement from 914Rubber. Not liking the price, I decided to attemp to repair.
To do this I just laid several layers of fiberglass mats (impregnated with resin) over the deteriated cardboard. Then poored some more resin over the whole thing, and reattached the four clips (using a metal strip on the otherside, so not to pull the screws or rivets through the backboard). Worked like a champ.
ConeDodger
Well worth the money though...
ConeDodger
After the seats were redone. Also a 914Rubber kit...
Mr.Nobody
So with the current 914rubber fiberglass back pad does it need the old foam from the old pad or just cover the fiberglass by the vinyl??

Mark, will this new setup your soon to release be similar?? Just the fiberglass pad and vinyl and I'll be complete??

I'm getting tired of looking at my current bare firewall.

Thanks
ConeDodger
Uses the old foam. Mine was steamed to take away the contraction that age had caused. Mark and I talked about my experiences and it could be, that the improvements are based at least in part on my experience.

Mark has changed fiberglass suppliers and that alone has got to be an improvement if only in that he will have product in hand in a timely manner!
Mikey914
Part of the improvement is to include the foam. This will allow us to sell as a complete kit. Completely assembled. Just pop in.
Mr.Nobody
Sounds like the new version will be what I'm in need of. I don't have the old foam.

Looking forward to it. Thanks.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 24 2017, 12:23 AM) *

Part of the improvement is to include the foam. This will allow us to sell as a complete kit. Completely assembled. Just pop in.

Can I get Dibs on unit #1?
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 23 2017, 11:23 PM) *

Do you have an estimated ETA on the updated version?

Greg W.
Mikey914
These will be complete and ready to ship in about 6 weeks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.