Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 past history
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jason 914-6
Hi,
Hoping someone can shed some light on my 914-6 past history.
What I know so far is that the car was last rego 1982 in Rhode Island, in 2002 it was sold on Evil bay in the ad it says that the car had been in WA in storage since 1985.
I purchased the car from the guy that brought it. He had it shipped to Sydney NSW Australia ( and had a look and went holy sh!! blink.gif) , I purchased the car from him and it now lives in Queensland Australia. Has been in storage here for over 10 years and I will at some stage return it back to an original 914-6.

Any help with the history would be very helpful smile.gif . Thanks to Larry LEE beerchug.gif for the ad info he doesn't have any thing else on it.

The following was found on www.ebay.com 9 June 2002
1970 Porsche : 914 914/6
914/6 Factory 914-6 Restore or Donor Car Item # 1834254263
Item located in: Passenger Vehicles : Porsche : 914
Seller gio@sprynet.com
Location Woodinville, WA
Country/Region United States/Seattle-Tacoma

· 106344 Miles · 6 - Cyl.
· 2 doors · Manual transmission
· Used · Clear title
· White Exterior - Black Interior
· VIN: 9140431269 Factory 914-6 Restore or Donor Car
Vehicle Description
Very Low Reserve: 1970 Porsche Factory 914/6 . VIN# 9140431269 Engine# 6404774 Indicated
Mileage:106,344 . This is an original 914/6. 914/6 6 cylinder engine with Weber Carbs,
rare, factory heat exchanger system (appears to be in pretty good shape). Tail shifter
transmission installed and side shifter transmission with correct mounts is included in
this auction. Factory Silver car with black interior and Appearance Group. This car has
just recently come out of long-term storage, and needs full restoration. It would make a
good donor car for building a 914/6 using a less rusty 914/4 or 914/6 body, for parts or
spares for an original 914/6. Finally, for someone wanting a challenge, replace underbody
sheetmetal, etc, and restore this car. In my opinion, the car has a good deal of rust,
especially in rocker panels, sills, floorpans and rear of rear trunk pan, battery tray.
No apparent dents or collision damage anywhere in the body, from what I can see. Inner
fenders, nose and rear are very straight. Paint is old, and in overall poor condition.
Rust spots in painted areas of body have been treated with rust stop chemical, and touched
up with silver paint. Glass is in very good condition, excellent windshield, overall good
condition trim. Solid doors. Original interior. I tried turning the engine over with a
wrench on the generator, and engine would not turn. It may need to be lubricated, or may
require dissassembly. Fuchs 14 in. Alloy wheels with Michelin XZX tires with 80% wear left.
(I will substitute the original, 1970 date stamped 15 in. wheels and hubcaps for these
Fuchs, if buyer wants these). I just purchased this car from a local 914 enthusiast who
owned this car since 1985. I own another very clean 914/6 set up for autocrossing track
and high performance street use which I will be selling this summer, so I know 914/6s
reasonably well. This car was looked at by a 914/6 expert mechanic today, and he felt the
car was nearly complete, with correct 914/6 engine and transmission and so on. The only
part he noticed to be missing is speedometer cable drive. I have 914/6 rear emblem,
but not installed. This mechanic outlined the major steps in converting a 914/4 to a
914/6, using a 914/6 donor car: Remove 914/4 engine mounts and install 914/6 mounts.
Drill holes for 914/6 oil filter, oil lines and oil tank. Change engine compartment wiring
harness to 914/6 harness. Install 914/6 relay(electronics) board. Install engine. Change
front struts and brakes, and A-arms if desired. Install 914/6 steering system and guages.
There certainly may be other, minor steps required.
On Jun-04-02 at 05:48:32 PDT, seller added the following information:
BODY/CHASSIS CONDITION UPDATE: A bidder asked if the rust on the car was surface or more
serious rust-through or holes? The rocker panels and sections of floor are heavily rusted
with major rust-through or holes. Rocker panels are largely gone. Other isolated underbody
areas have rust holes. RH door does not latch possibly because rockers are so far gone.
Back of rear trunklid has rust-through, and will not latch. Rear bumper has rust-through
at bottom. Many bolt-heads on engine and trans have heavy surface rust. I'm sure other
areas are rusty. No rust holes were found in Heat Exchangers from my visual inspection-oil
on the exchangers seems to have helped protect them. Because of rust, many would consider
this as a donor or parts car. However, its a valuable car that might be worth restoring.

CONDITION OF BRAKES: Front calipers were stuck, and were removed to allow car to roll.
They are of course included with car, as is spare, side shift transmission with mounts in
unknown condition. E-brake lever is not bolted to body. Brakes most likely will require
total restoration.

This car was listed for sale on ebay June 2002
gcrotvik
Posting some pictures might help. Good luck with your search! Take a look in the VIN database here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94572

Greg
sixnotfour
Jim Giordano has been peddling cars and projects/parts for years..

http://giocars.com/giocars/

http://www.stazak.com/914reg/1970c.html
Jason 914-6
Yep thanks thats the car from it's best side I guess the fuzziness helps also LOL.
It doesn't look like it has been driven since 1982 still has an expired Rhode Island windscreen sticker on it with the mileage.
Jason 914-6
Here some pics of whats left. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Have to see all the pics, but it doesn't really sound like the seller misrepresented it much. More than once he says it would be good for parts and it would be a major project for restoration. He does put a positive spin on the ad, but also states the floors and longs are gone.
Too much cash and work back then, but with the /6 prices and the parts available from RD likely do-able now.
Jason 914-6
Yep I hope so, won't be starting work on it any time soon, might start gathering parts, so the cost is spread out.
sixnotfour
no matter ...you own a Factory SIX

I cant count the number of wrecked sixes I have collected parts from ..only wish I bought the whole car...Time Marches On...

including yours
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 25 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Yep I hope so, won't be starting work on it any time soon, might start gathering parts, so the cost is spread out.

If you need to collect Restoration Design steel over a long time I'd be willing to store a box for you till it's full. I go to the RD open house every fall (sept/oct), Pete at RD will vouch for me. RD is in Canada.

I'm Canadian so I know all about the expense of shipping, duties, etc. for us commonwealth mates.
Just a thought.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 25 2017, 11:32 AM) *

Here some pics of whats left. confused24.gif

Some more pics of the car in the long shot would be nice.
Jason 914-6
Some more pics if you're scared by extreme rust look away now w00t.gif
Can't get any of the passengers side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jason 914-6
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2017, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 25 2017, 08:32 PM) *

If you need to collect Restoration Design steel over a long time I'd be willing to store a box for you till it's full. I go to the RD open house every fall (sept/oct), Pete at RD will vouch for me. RD is in Canada.

I'm Canadian so I know all about the expense of shipping, duties, etc. for us commonwealth mates.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the offer smile.gif . Canadians are tops sunglasses.gif I have 2 donor cars stored in a shipping container and quite a few usable panels/rust repair sections. I need to have a big clean out rolleyes.gif and check what I can use and what I'll have to source. Go the commonwealth beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Well it's definitely going to be a project, but I've seen members start with worse.
Let's see some pics of the longs.

It's a six, done right it's not going to be cheap, but with the way /6 prices are going it's worth restoring it. The only real way of losing is if you abandon the project halfway through.
The way you sell it to the wife/GF is you tell her that at least she'll always know where you are. shades.gif
rhodyguy
A real 6 with REAL rust. Even the gauge cluster. wacko.gif Good luck.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 27 2017, 03:24 AM) *

Can't get any of the left side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Holy shit!....that needs a lot (!) of work welder.gif
Hope you have enough time and deep pockets.

But, a real "6" is worth being saved smilie_wirdgut.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Mar 27 2017, 01:16 PM) *
Can't get any of the left side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door

Holy shit!....that needs a lot (!) of work

I've seen worse being brought back to live. The good news is that most of the parts are there and numbers matching.

I see a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif in your future ...
biggrin.gif
Jason 914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2017, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Mar 27 2017, 01:16 PM) *
Can't get any of the left side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door

Holy shit!....that needs a lot (!) of work

I've seen worse being brought back to live. The good news is that most of the parts are there and numbers matching.

I see a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif in your future ...
biggrin.gif

Yep It was a big gamble to buy it 10 years ago, unsure.gif
Will be about that long again before work starts dry.gif
Its safe and won't rust any more in the shed smile.gif
Michel
Jason I'm in oz Leo. have a 914 project aka GT SCHMUCK WANNABE that at the moment is making glacial progress.

I'll send you my number. Next time up your way if time interest catch up.

Cheers Michel
Jason 914-6
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Mar 26 2017, 06:46 PM' post='2468623']
Well it's definitely going to be a project, but I've seen members start with worse.

Is this bad unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Naah, a little duct tape, some tie-wraps, and you're good to go! wink.gif

--DD
KELTY360
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 27 2017, 08:33 PM) *

Don't be so sure, rust never sleeps. dry.gif
burton73
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 22 2017, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 27 2017, 08:33 PM) *

Don't be so sure, rust never sleeps. dry.gif

O Boy, stop that rust sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Krieger
[quote name='Jason 914-6' date='Apr 22 2017, 06:35 PM' post='2478417']
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Mar 26 2017, 06:46 PM' post='2468623']

Is this bad unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

The good news is there is less to have to cut away. w00t.gif
GeorgeRud
I'd take it totally apart and have the chassis completely blasted to see where all the rust is hiding. Only then do you really know the scope of your project.

Please chronical your project with lots of photos to share and enjoy it in good health!
SixerJ
Cool project, lots of rust & take your time popcorn[1].gif

I bought my six about 4 years ago and due to other projects and the sheer number of bits needed I've just been building up the stock pile while she is sleeping in the garage. I figured it's going to be a lot easier to make decent progress quickly if I have all (or nearly all) the parts at hand. Also to your point, a little bit spent every month doesn't feel quite so painful and it take time to find the parts

When I did the 911 in one go, it got scary very quickly and I stopped punching numbers into the spreadsheet for fear the misses would find it, then life would become really expensive...... sheeplove.gif
Jason 914-6
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Apr 23 2017, 02:03 PM) *

I bought my six about 4 years ago and due to other projects and the sheer number of bits needed I've just been building up the stock pile while she is sleeping in the garage. I figured it's going to be a lot easier to make decent progress quickly if I have all (or nearly all) the parts at hand. Also to your point, a little bit spent every month doesn't feel quite so painful and it take time to find the parts

When I did the 911 in one go, it got scary very quickly and I stopped punching numbers into the spreadsheet for fear the misses would find it, then life would become really expensive...... sheeplove.gif

Yep it'll be a slow process sad.gif
What really sucks is that I see a lot of nice parts for sale biggrin.gif but I know the freight to get them is not viable wub.gif
Due to our crap exchange rate 75 cents(Australian) to $1 (US dollar) anything I look at is going to be x 4 the price landed. Might have to come over for a shopping trip shades.gif
Midway
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 24 2017, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Apr 23 2017, 02:03 PM) *

Yep it'll be a slow process sad.gif
What really sucks is that I see a lot of nice parts for sale biggrin.gif but I know the freight to get them is not viable wub.gif
Due to our crap exchange rate 75 cents(Australian) to $1 (US dollar) anything I look at is going to be x 4 the price landed. Might have to come over for a shopping trip shades.gif

Having a mate in California would be useful. You could buy bits over time and store them there until a you have a crate full then ship it over as a partial load in a container. Should be cheaper than airfreight. Well, it's a theory anyway!
Jason 914-6
Having a mate in California would be useful. You could buy bits over time and store them there until a you have a crate full then ship it over as a partial load in a container. Should be cheaper than airfreight. Well, it's a theory anyway!

Yes very true I/m thinking of buying a running 914-4 biggrin.gif and a selection of parts smile.gif to stuff in a box. CA is getting expensive these days dry.gif might look at Kelso WA have found a good deal on freight. Just need to save some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.