Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track tire recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BravoHotel
I need to buy track tires for my 16" Fuchs. I am currently running A032's on my 15" cookies, and have had good luck with them, but I really want to get the Fuchs on the car. I need 205/45-16's and the only thing that the Tire Rack rack lists for Comp tires in that size are Hoosier and Kumho Ecsta V700's. I don't want the Hoosiers cause I will put some limited street miles on the car. That leaves me w/ the Kumhos...they have received somewhat mixed reviews. Any experience w/ these tires? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
BH
L8Apex
I have the V700's on my CRX. they are great tires, but a bit heavy. If I get those tires for the teener, I would definately get them shaved. I think Toyo has RA1's in a 215/45/16, so maybe those will fit. Not sure though. If they do, I'd get the toyos. The new Hankook race tires are coming out with a 205/45/16 also, but that size is not out yet. They only have 205/50/15 for now.
VegasRacer
I run the Kumho's, 205/50/15. I have to cause they are the spec tire for the HSR 2 liter Porsche class. I have also tried others and the V700's aren't bad. For the money they are a good value. The group opinion is don't bother getting them shaved. It doesn't really help. It just means they will cord sooner. Be sure to heat cycle em. They will last 50% longer.

I also ran them several years ago when I raced a Mazda RX7 with SCCA. I drove the car to the track. The Kumho's showed more wear after a 15 min practice than they did after 300 miles on the highway.

I tried one set of the Goodrich G-Force. More money than the V700's and lasted half as long. Not really any better IMO on the track.

I have also use the Toyo's. They were 'different' than the Kumho's. At optimum performance, maybe a little better. But they seemed to go away quicker if you pushed them in a race.

Your driving style might give you different results. I am VERY hard on the brakes.

I will take this opportunity to post a photo of my first race car. Kumho V700's in action.
BravoHotel
Vegas,

When you said "make sure you heat cycle em", do you mean buy them already heat cycled?

BH
campbellcj
I have a set of the Ecsta V700's too. They are not a bad choice at all if you want to be able to drive to the track and/or do occassional street driving. I find that they start to feel "greasy" after only 10-15 mins of lapping but overall they are a predictable and grippy tire. The price is definitely right. I never had the chunking or blistering probs some other folks have mentioned (earlier threads) but I think I would get them shaved to help reduce the squirmy feel. Under hard braking I swear I could feel the tread blocks moving around and/or rubber migration issues. It's a little freaky.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(BravoHotel @ Jun 30 2003, 10:41 AM)
When you said "make sure you heat cycle em", do you mean buy them already heat cycled?

I have never bought a set of tires that were heat cycled by the seller. If fact I don't even think I know someone who has. I know they say they do it in the optimum controlled environment?

Just run the tires for a short session (@10 min) to get them up to race temperature. Then do not use them for 24-48 hours to let them completely rest and cool properly. This process changes the molecular structure and strengthens the bonds in the tire. It really does work to extend the life of the tires. They say it also makes them preform better.

If you car is streetable it should be no problem. Race only cars have the problem of not being able to do it over a weekend. This can also be a problem if you don't have an extra set of rims and want 'perfect' tires when the green flag drops instead of for the first practice session. That is one of the reasons most guys have 2 or more sets of wheels. I am cheap and want to see cords before I trash a tire.

In the past we all got our tires shaved to 3/32. After some trial and error and comparing results, NOBODY in my race group shaves them anymore.

I agree with everything else campbellcj says. They can start to feel a little slippery 3/4 thru a 20 min. sprint race, IF you are pushing them 100%. So after you learn how to DRIVE your car, you have to learn tire managment to have something left at the end for that last lap pass (or so it doesn't happen to you). Predictable. Grippy. Good price. All Yes. Chunking - only once on a July day after I got them extra hot on a long session. "Under hard braking I swear I could feel the tread blocks moving around and/or rubber migration issues. It's a little freaky." Yea, I guess. But I like a little freaky now and then.
BravoHotel
I'm took your advice. Just placed the order @ tirerack. V700's unshaven.

Thanks for the help
BH
L8Apex
tirerack can shave and heat cycle tires.
BravoHotel
is everybody sure that they will be OK (unshaven) for auto-x and occasional DE's? The tirerack called me back when I placed my order and is really selling the shaving. I guess Kumho REALLY recommends it.

Thanks
BH
BravoHotel
Help...I gotta let the tirerack know if I want shaved or not

thanks
BH
seanery
I can't speak for shaving them, but I would HIGHLY recomend them heat cycling. It's much easier for them to do it than you, and by the time you get them they should be ready to go on the car!
VegasRacer
QUOTE(BravoHotel @ Jun 30 2003, 03:16 PM)
Help...I gotta let the tirerack know if I want shaved or not

thanks
BH

All the teeners that race in the HSR West 2 liter challenge do not shave their tires anymore. Wayne Baker, the series founder (who has been racing 914's since they were new) says NO to shaving. If you are going to be doing all but rare street driving or have any chance of racing in the rain - both are strong reasons to not shave them. If you do shave them you will not have any problems at the track. You'll just have to buy new ones sooner.

I get mine directly from Kumho (cause they are a sponsor) and they will shave em for free, and I still say no. There is nothing wrong with having Tire Rack heat cycle them. It's just not worth $80 to me for something I can easily do myself.
L8Apex
from what i hear, shaving prevents the tires from "chunking". I think it's from slight fold over when in heavy cornering. the spec miata guys claim that the shaved RA1's are faster than the unshaved ones. When the RA1's are shaved, they have less tread and more contact area.

dance.gif
campbellcj
Definitely do not shave them if you plan on street driving, "non competitive" DE's, or rain driving...or any combination thereof.

Also, I think many of the "chunking" stories are from guys with much heavier/more powerful cars, like Vettes, Vipers etc. Our little cars just don't seem very tough on tires in comparison. Unless you're running one of those 3.2-3.8L widebody monster 914's, but then you've probably got slicks instead of DOT-R rubber anyways.

Based on all the above comments, I might even keep running them unshaved myself. I use the Kumhos for the aforementioned purposes, and have switched to Hoosiers for my dedicated track wheels.

Heat cycling the tires yourself takes some coordination. A nice way to do it is to put on your fresh rubber for the last practice session of the first day of a multi-day track event/weekend. Run them up to moderate temps for 10-15 minutes...then either get them off the car immediately (and stored inside your trailer/truck) or jack the car up off the ground, and let it sit overnight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.