Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound deadening on floor. Removal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seelenfan
Sound deadening on the floor. Anyone have good tips for removing the tar like sound deadening? This is an Arizona car, which means the tar has baked on for 40 years.
iankarr
Hey there. I feel your pain. I also had an AZ car.

Search is your friend. Lots of threads on this. Here's one...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=195442

Basically, a combination of heat, a multi-function tool, and a putty knife are the weapons of choice.

Seelenfan
Thanks for the link. I tried to search for threads on the site before posting. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I don't ever get any returns from the search.
iankarr
I use google. just include 914world in the search. good luck and welcome!
simonjb
Heat gun plus a scraper worked wonders
914_teener
I still have the sound deadening tar in my car.

If the metal underneath is not rusted why take it out?
Mikey914
Shared on my Facebook you gotta see this

https://www.facebook.com/4Piston/videos/1258619500895777/

It's pretty cool
Don't try to remove until you have seen this.
sixaddict
Mark
That is ingenuous!
After all the hours with heat gun I am amazed. Was that just water added to dry ice?
Thanks
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 25 2017, 12:40 AM) *

Shared on my Facebook you gotta see this

https://www.facebook.com/4Piston/videos/1258619500895777/

It's pretty cool
Don't try to remove until you have seen this.

You threw a 7-11 slurpee on it. Great trick!

defianty
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 25 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Mark
That is ingenuous!
After all the hours with heat gun I am amazed. Was that just water added to dry ice?
Thanks

It's rubbing alcohol.
Costa05
QUOTE(Seelenfan @ Mar 24 2017, 09:49 PM) *

Sound deadening on the floor. Anyone have good tips for removing the tar like sound deadening? This is an Arizona car, which means the tar has baked on for 40 years.

PM sent. Fellow AZ 914 owner. Adict....
Mikey914
I've been dying to try this just don't need to at the time.
Post up your results please.
Mark Henry
huh.gif
Did it take the paint off too?

Pardon the pun but .....cool!
Calwaterbear
OK guys, I just got done trying this. The video was a bit short on details, I used 9 lbs of dry ice, and 1 quart of 70% isopropyl alcohol. I crushed up the ice using the head of a hammer. made the slush, just like in the video.

Put it in one of the 4 sections of the floor panel. after letting it sit for 5 minutes, went in with a putty knife. Pretty soon after that, started using a hammer on the putty knife. long story short, it was pretty much the same thing using the dry ice technique, as just brute forcing the other side with just a putty knife and a hammer.

Given it cost me 20 bucks for materials, and it didn't save any time or effort - for me and my 72 - it was a bust. The issue seems to be that the material is just pretty much tar at this point, and it really adheres to the metal. anywhere there was a crack in the liner, you could count on finding rust underneath that spot.

Back to the heatgun. What a disappointment!
funk
snap on makes a great tool for removing all seam sealer and I am certain it would remove that stuff as well!!
Localboy808
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 25 2017, 04:14 AM) *

Mark
That is ingenuous!
Thanks

I've used this technique on an old bug. worked well! More is better as the colder you get it the better it works.
Calwaterbear
You are probably right, but I had the floor board covered with 2 inches of slush, and it sat there for over 1/2 an hour, as I tried to scrape off portions.

Not sure what I did wrong. I was just reporting that it did not work for me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.