Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got a line on a 2.7-6 motor ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
soooo, i got a line on a '76 2.7L /6 motor build by "The Stable" ...

don't know all the details but it's fairly recently rebuild by said shop and comes with the CIS injection. complete and running ...

does ~$2k sound like a fair price or not?
idea.gif Andy
echocanyons
If it has documentation and checks out it sounds like a steal
jonwatts
That and another $4k might get it installed. I have no idea what would cost that much, it just will. "Correct" oil tank, exhaust, other stuff.

PS - don't listen to me, remember which of us has a running 914 right now

MattR
There are issues with a 2.7 on the head studs or something. I'm not too clear on the problem, but someone will chime in.

I guess just check what was done on the last rebuild (case savers, etc.)
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 5 2005, 10:15 PM)
soooo, i got a line on a '76 2.7L /6 motor build by "The Stable" ...

don't know all the details but it's fairly recently rebuild by said shop and comes with the CIS injection. complete and running ...

does ~$2k sound like a fair price or not?
idea.gif Andy

there is one on eBay right now, guy wants approx. 5K for it
(supposedly fresh, 0 miles)

$2K for fresh runner and done right sounds like a good deal....I've seen core 2.7's go for $1000+
Trekkor
In the future, we'll all have SIXES...
sixnotfour
76 has a bigger oil pump,and bypass mod in the case 76-77 are the better years. If you choose to use the cis it has a improved warm up circut also.
Make sure part of the rebuild was timeserts or casesavers for head studs.
The best part its been run and you can see if it leaks.
If you can, take the sump plate and screen off run youre finger around the inside of the case and see what kind of particles if any you come up with. You would be suprised at how many good runners are losing rod bearings.

If you trust the shop its a great deal.

The one on ebay is a 74
Series9
If you don't want it, I do. cool.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 5 2005, 10:24 PM)
In the future, we'll all have SIXES...

unless I can have a 3.6 in my 914, I'm sticking with a /4 smile.gif

besides, it'll more fun to beat you /6 guys with our little /4s laugh.gif
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

If it's running good or freshly rebuilt I think it's a good price. As you know, I'm a 2.7 guy...our car that Doris and I ran was a 2.7. I'd still be running it if I hadn't nuked the motor with the missed shift.... ohmy.gif

There are documented problems with the 2.7, but if they were addressed with a motor upgrade/rebuild, they are great engines...I personally loved the motor in our car...it was great for auto-x and a TON of fun on the track...

Just my $9.14... laugh.gif

Bill P.
Mueller
it's probebly sold now...too many "eyes" on the list that want it themselves wacko.gif
sixnotfour
There are documented problems with the 2.7, but if they were addressed with a motor upgrade/rebuild, they are great engines...I personally loved the motor in our car...it was great for auto-x and a TON of fun on the track...

agree.gif
with everyone wanting 3.2 and 3.6 people are not realizing how much Fun these smaller motors are 2.0,2.2,2.4,2.7-6 they are lighter, plenty of power, And sound great.

8 main bearings , they are the shizzle ( I think that right ill ask my 17yr old)

my favorite is the 2.4 MFI -6

Four is nice but Six is the best beerchug.gif
Korijo
upgrade valve covers...
Brad Roberts
I guess I should hold a "friendly" meeting with my local "friends" about posting PRICES to the BBS laugh.gif
John
I'm probably going to go with a 2.7 in my street car when the time comes. I already have the engine in another car...

$2k for a recently rebuilt engine? Something is WRONG!

It would be a hell of a deal. Jump on it if it is for real.

My only big ticket items after the engine are: Oil tank, Flywheel-Pressure Plate-clutch, Exhaust, and plumbing.

I fabricate most everything else.
J P Stein
Yeah, a better question would be "what's a good running 2.7L
CIS motor worth?" I'd say....humm, bout 2k. laugh.gif
sixnotfour
$2k for a recently rebuilt engine? Something is WRONG!

Byer Beware for sure , but at least around here with everyone going to 3.0-3.2-3.6 the demand for these motors is not that great. A shop in seattle wont touch a 2.7 used to give em away.
They figure 2k and got there floor space back.

The motor on ebay 2 weeks ago had a buy it now 5200. and had 0 bids , now that a bunch of 914 owners finally notice it , its a stampede.
Also a factor a bunch go to the track (WCC) and realize how great sixes are , and gets the fever going.
I could be wrong wacko.gif

Four is nice but Six is the best beerchug.gif
J P Stein
I bought a rebuilt 76, 2.7L long block that had sat on a shelf for 9-10 years for 500 bucks. It had RS P/Cs....nice surprise
Sold the pistons for 500 & the CIS cams for 100. Now that's a guuud deal. biggrin.gif Hotted the thing up a bit & stuck it in my car....parted out the 2.4L T long block for bout 1100....that got me some new Shasta pistons & NOS Solex cams. Ya gotta jump on opportunities.
sixnotfour
Well on the other hand , I just bought this 75 for 3200. lady wanted 5500.
Runs Great,Original paint. driving.gif
ArtechnikA
Alan at The Stable is EXTREMELY well regarded in the 356 community.
he knows how to do stuff right.

i'd buy anything from him with no hesitation.
Bleyseng
"Stick your finger in there and see if there's anything in the oil?"
Wow, "2.7's tend to lose their rod bearings"

Another reason to go for a 3.0 or bigger.......or stay with a hotrod four.

Brad, you were the one posting conv prices on the BBS two years ago.....we just remember 'em.
J P Stein
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ May 5 2005, 09:35 PM)
If you can, take the sump plate and screen off run youre finger around the inside of the case and see what kind of particles if any you come up with. You would be suprised at how many good runners are losing rod bearings.

Good Quote, Geoff, where did you get it? laugh.gif

The 2.7 shares the 2.4L crank & rods and is the same size as those in the 3.0L. I have never heard of any particular problem with 911 rod bearings except for high reving race motors.
They do wear out, tho.....unlike the t-4 which , if I'm to believe what I read here, are bullet proof biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Buy it! monkeydance.gif
Root_Werks
Roll the dice and buy it! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 6 2005, 05:12 AM)
They do wear out, tho.....unlike the t-4 which , if I'm to believe what I read here, are bullet proof biggrin.gif

Only stock.....
For the HiPo motors you have to get aftermarket bearings to get bulletproof which don't come in the stock 2.0L rod size. mueba.gif

All motors suffer rod bearing wear effin ya don't change the oil.
Mueller
Brad, you were the one posting conv prices on the BBS two years ago.....we just remember 'em

He is not talking about "those" prices....he's talking about finding a killer deal, posting the price and what if later on down the road you want or need to sell it?? Everyone is going to remember what you paid and it will be harder to sell for those that know what you paid if you are jacking the price way up.....a fellow member here might be suffering from this right now...bought a car for a few grand, put a few grand more into it and is now asking for $10K over what "we" know it was purchased for....nothing wrong asking what it is worth or making money, however a prospective buyer might be turned off by it if they knew what the car was originally bought for....it's a psychological thing wacko.gif

Joe Bob
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 6 2005, 06:47 AM)
Brad, you were the one posting conv prices on the BBS two years ago.....we just remember 'em

He is not talking about "those" prices....he's talking about finding a killer deal, posting the price and what if later on down the road you want or need to sell it?? Everyone is going to remember what you paid and it will be harder to sell for those that know what you paid if you are jacking the price way up.....a fellow member here might be suffering from this right now...bought a car for a few grand, put a few grand more into it and is now asking for $10K over what "we" know it was purchased for....nothing wrong asking what it is worth or making money, however a prospective buyer might be turned off by it if they knew what the car was originally bought for....it's a psychological thing wacko.gif

Just because you get a killer deal on a roller...a killer deal on the parts....and it adds up to "X"......doesn't mean you can't add on L A B O R and E X P E R I E N C E as costs. Just because a person is not a regular shop....labor and expertise for putting it together doesn't count....?

That's such Bullshit. People have tossed crap like that in my face over the years....I just tell them....YOU try and do it. Then come back and tell me if it's worth it.

I do this for fun, anger therapy and YES...a little profit to fund my other toys. Nobody bitches about the admins that make bucks off this site....

If it was easy....no one be coming here for advice.
Mueller
I totally agree with you "Z", it does suck, it's just the cheap human nature of some people I guess to get bent out of shape and they expect you to give them the same deal or not charge for labor or the little things.....just 'cause they loose money on a project does not mean everyone else has to............

drew365
it's a psychological thing

Or as Steve Martin once said, "Oh, it's a profit deal."

I like my 2.7 because it's mine and runs great. I just put $9,600 into it to freshen it up, so to speak. If it ever gets damaged heavily I will probably look at a 3.2.
Trekkor
I like hearing all the cool deals that people get. cool.gif
I like telling you about mine, too.

Worry about resale if you sell. Offer at fair market prices and it will sell if there is a demand. Period.

Andy...Buy, buy, buy.

KT
anthony
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 6 2005, 07:47 AM)
He is not talking about "those" prices....he's talking about finding a killer deal, posting the price and what if later on down the road you want or need to sell it??

I disagree on that theory. If something is priced right, it will sell. If it's priced too high, it won't. And if you can't sell something here, throw it on ebay.

For used parts, engines, cars without a warranty or guarantee people expect to pay pennies on the dollar. It's just the nature of the deal. If you're good enough to value-add your experience to the parts you sell and get more from them then more power to you.

sixnotfour

QUOTE (sixnotfour @ May 5 2005, 09:35 PM)

Good Quote, Geoff, where did you get it?  

The 2.7 shares the 2.4L crank & rods and is the same size as those in the 3.0L. I have never heard of any particular problem with 911 rod bearings except for high reving race motors.
They do wear out, tho.....unlike the t-4 which , if I'm to believe what I read here, are bullet proof  

JP , they do not have any problems , Its a simple check to do when buying a used motor.
The crank and rods are worth as much as the whole motor .

The motor in this thread is probably fine ,but its simple check and shows alot.
Everyday people dont check there oil, oh it holds alot of oil ,only leaks a drop
next thing you know it got a rod knock.

Its a big step for people to go to a six, a lot of motors are pulled for a reason . I am saying buyer beware. No suprises.Check it out

Quote ,This some thing I do to every motor I buy.

3.0 areworse there owners check there oil even less

Its not a design problem its a Owner maintenace Problem.
Gint
Just because you get a killer deal on a roller...a killer deal on the parts....and it adds up to "X"......doesn't mean you can't add on L A B O R and E X P E R I E N C E as costs.  Just because a person is not a regular shop....labor and expertise for putting it together doesn't count....?

That's such Bullshit. People have tossed crap like that in my face over the years....I just tell them....YOU try and do it.  Then come back and tell me if it's worth it.

I do this for fun, anger therapy and YES...a little profit to fund my other toys.  

If it was easy....no one be coming here for advice.

I agree with you 100% except with this line here:

Nobody bitches about the admins that make bucks off this site....

To my knowledge, no one is making a dime off of this site. I know for sure I'm not. In fact, it has cost me money, and I'm reasonably sure Andy is no where near braking even.
Series9
Andy took too long. I got the engine! biggrin.gif

just kidding. Andy, did you get the motor?
pete-stevers
Yup I say if the deal looks good from your end.....buy the damn thing up!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
If the seller is reputable you are doing well!!! clap.gif
How bout we get on this oil tank thing....?? idea.gif idea.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 6 2005, 07:17 AM)
I like hearing all the cool deals that people get. cool.gif
I like telling you about mine, too.

Worry about resale if you sell. Offer at fair market prices and it will sell if there is a demand. Period.

Andy...Buy, buy, buy.

KT

Yep, I like deals, like hearing about people getting good deals. I think it rocks. mueba.gif

But I also agree if it is posted someone got a $10k for $3k and then tries to sell it for $10k, people in the know probably wouldn't buy it. Just the nature of people. confused24.gif
Series9
Andy had better be off somewhere securing his new engine.... cool.gif
Duffster
dja get it?????? Hope its a 7R case... If it is and you don't like it, you can sell it to me!!! Mine is the second most fun I've ever had in a sitting position...
dgw

He is not talking about "those" prices....he's talking about finding a killer deal, posting the price and what if later on down the road you want or need to sell it?? Everyone is going to remember what you paid and it [/QUOTE]
Just because you get a killer deal on a roller...a killer deal on the parts....and it adds up to "X"......doesn't mean you can't add on L A B O R and E X P E R I E N C E as costs.

Geeze Z

did you forget this is a 914 list?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Series9
The RS is for sale: $80,000.

My labor and experience have been factored in. cool.gif
Joe Bob
Calling Mr. Jablowme.....Mr. HEYWOOD Jablowme.....please pick up the white courtesy phone.....
Series9
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 6 2005, 09:04 PM)
Calling Mr. Jablowme.....Mr. HEYWOOD Jablowme.....please pick up the white courtesy phone.....

I was actually agreeing with your position on this.... huh.gif
Joe Bob
And I'm just yanking yer chain.... w00t.gif
It's Friday nite, 2123 hours and I;m about to go to bed....kill me now....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.