Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 front strut issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I purchased some Bilstein inserts for some Boge 3" 911 front struts. Everything fits except the top cap is a couple mm shy of screwing down. Anyone run into this issue? I don't know if I need a different top cap or different insert. When I take the insert out it screws down all the way but the insert is a couple mm to tall when it's in the strut. ???
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2017, 10:21 AM) *

I purchased some Bilstein inserts for some Boge 3" 911 front struts. Everything fits except the top cap is a couple mm shy of screwing down. Anyone run into this issue? I don't know if I need a different top cap or different insert. When I take the insert out it screws down all the way but the insert is a couple mm to tall when it's in the strut. ???

Mark I think that is correct because this allows for the insert to be tightened. If that is not the case then please check for anything that might not allowing the cartridge from going all the way to the bottom. The struts I got from you had that issue and I had to clean em out good.
mepstein
Both sides are the same. Won't tighten any further. They get to that point and then just stop. I always put a little oil in the bottom but not enough to change the height.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Both sides are the same. Won't tighten any further. They get to that point and then just stop. I always put a little oil in the bottom but not enough to change the height.

Mine was actually bleed through weld from the factory that made it right and ironically they are boge as well.
Mark Henry
IIRC mine are like that and they work just fine. Same big shaft billy's.
I'll try to look at them over the weekend for you, but I'm battling some flu-like shit I got off the kids.
mepstein
I don't feel comfortable having it just sort of tight but not really. I can put a spacer in there so I can tighten it down but I'm feeling like that's sort of ghetto.
Mark Henry
You don't want the cartridge moving around, you want them tight.
mb911
I would think it would be tight if the nut won't thread in any further?
sixnotfour
agree.gif
wndsnd
I blue locktite them as well.
mb911
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 25 2017, 03:49 PM) *

I blue locktite them as well.

agree.gif
914Sixer
Yes, that is the way the Bilsteins fit the the Boge Struts. The nut is NOT threaded all the way down so it is not going to set flush.
Krieger
You have barely two threads showing on the cap. How much of the threaded portion of the cap is engaged? I have later Carrera, Boge struts with external threads. I have a spare cap different style than yours that I just measured and it has 14 mm of threads total. I'm not sure you have a problem.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 25 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Yes, that is the way the Bilsteins fit the the Boge Struts. The nut is NOT threaded all the way down so it is not going to set flush.

I agree. Thank you guys. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2017, 02:40 PM) *

You don't want the cartridge moving around, you want them tight.

Ahh - children. The most adorable germ sponges you will ever know...

Worth every sore throat. But you may not be thinking so at present. Make them bring you soothing drinks?
Harpo
It you really want the nut to be flush could you machine the bottom of the nut? Assuming there are adequate threads of engagement it would allow the nut to be flush.

DAvid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.