Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just thinking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
will 2.0 jugs and pistons work on a 1.7 case? and vise versa? does the 1.7 and 2.0 use the same case....?
scotty b
Yes, but the case has to be fly cut. The cylinders won't just slip in. A lot of guys (Jake included I think) actually prefer the 1.7 case for buildups. 2.0 will not go in a 1.7.
URY914
Anything can be made to work, but stock 2.0's cylinders will not fit in a 1.7 case without some work being done on the case.

Look at it like this, a stick that is 2.0 inches in diameter won't fit in a hole that is 1.7 inches in diameter. ohmy.gif

Now you can buy (I think somewhere still) thin wall 2.0 "slip-in" cylinders which will fit in a 1.7 case but they're crap.

Paul
scotty b
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 6 2005, 04:58 AM)

Look at it like this, a stick that is 2.0 inches in diameter won't fit in a hole that is 1.7 inches in diameter. ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif That's what SHE said! laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE (scotty b @ May 6 2005, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 6 2005, 04:58 AM)

Look at it like this, a stick that is 2.0 inches in diameter won't fit in a hole that is 1.7 inches in diameter.  :o

ohmy.gif That's what SHE said! laugh.gif

I though it won't take long for someone to jump on that. biggrin.gif

Paul
Tom Perso
Hey guys... The 2.0L jugs will fit into the CASE... But not into the head registers.

So, you need to flycut the heads, not the case.

While you're at it, step up the compression and freshen the heads.

Bump it up to hear it thump, baby!

Later,
Tom
Verruckt
I have a 1.7 and a 2.0

I'm curious though, why is the 1.7 case preferred? Is it structurally stronger than the 2.0 case?
Tom Perso
In addition to what I said, the 1.7L rods will not work with 2.0L cylinders. You need 2.0L rods and a 2.0L crank to make it all work.

If you want more displacement with the stock 66mm stroke, get 1.8L 96mm P/C's, open the head registers and you'll have a 1911.

All T4 cases are pretty much the same, minus the Bus hyrdaulic cases which had a closed breather area. The bus cases are pretty much thrashed so, I'd stick with 914 or 411 cases.

Tom
URY914
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ May 6 2005, 05:05 AM)
Hey guys... The 2.0L jugs will fit into the CASE... But not into the head registers.

So, you need to flycut the heads, not the case.

While you're at it, step up the compression and freshen the heads.

Bump it up to hear it thump, baby!

Later,
Tom

Ops, thats right, its the heads that get cut, not the case.
I must of had the cylinders in upside down. wacko.gif

Paul
Tom Perso
Nah... You were just thinking about cutting the case to make it lighter... huh.gif laugh.gif

Later,
Tom
URY914
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ May 6 2005, 05:17 AM)
Nah... You were just thinking about cutting the case to make it lighter... huh.gif laugh.gif

Later,
Tom

Tom, how much weight can be cut out of a case with a sawzall? sawzall-smiley.gif

I was looking at my car and thinking, man that engine is the heaviest single piece of the car. I gotta change that. idea.gif happy11.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
bd1308
thanks. Got another question.....does anybody know why the starter doesn't wanna turn over real well on 1 cylinder? Valves?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 6 2005, 09:04 AM)
thanks. Got another question.....does anybody know why the starter doesn't wanna turn over real well on 1 cylinder? Valves?

huh.gif

the starter doesn't give a rats-ass where the engine is at...

does the starter "spin" there? if so, you probably have a broke tooth on the flywheel...

other than that, you are hallucinating...
CptTripps
The starter has a mind to do two things...

#1 - Push this thing forward!

#2 - Now turn it real fast!

agree.gif
It doesn't know what cyl it is on. Check to see if you have a busted tooth, or something...
URY914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 6 2005, 06:04 AM)

I don't get the question. confused24.gif

Paul
bd1308
yeah...i'm just going to barbecue my car......actually i want to see a piston shoot out of the side of the car first though. sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 6 2005, 12:03 PM)
yeah...i'm just going to barbecue my car......actually i want to see a piston shoot out of the side of the car first though. sad.gif

then will you promise to go buy a Kia or some other car with a warrenty?? laugh.gif biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 6 2005, 08:33 AM)
how much weight can be cut out of a case with a sawzall?

if you go read "The Unfair Advantage" there's a passage where Donohue and Penske got the Chevrolet factory to acid-dip a bunch of 427 blocks and then run them through the standard machining line. except that there was a shift change while their blocks were in the facility and they lost track of them.

somewhere in the world there's a bunch of nose-high big-block Camaros with weird colored engine paint...

i bet you could machine off the "cooling" ribs and acid-dip the case and pick up several grams...
URY914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 6 2005, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 6 2005, 08:33 AM)
how much weight can be cut out of a case with a sawzall?

if you go read "The Unfair Advantage" there's a passage where Donohue and Penske got the Chevrolet factory to acid-dip a bunch of 427 blocks and then run them through the standard machining line. except that there was a shift change while their blocks were in the facility and they lost track of them.

somewhere in the world there's a bunch of nose-high big-block Camaros with weird colored engine paint...

i bet you could machine off the "cooling" ribs and acid-dip the case and pick up several grams...

I also remember reading that they dipped a bunch of bodys in the tank and the roof metal was so thin they flapped around and wouldn't hold thier shape at speed. So they put vinyl roofs skins on them. At the first race they got protested by other teams. The other teams didn't really know why they were using vinyl roofs, but they must be cheating somehow. laugh.gif

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (scotty b @ May 6 2005, 04:49 AM)
Yes, but the case has to be fly cut. The cylinders won't just slip in. A lot of guys (Jake included I think) actually prefer the 1.7 case for buildups. 2.0 will not go in a 1.7.

You're just flat out wrong. The cases are the SAME, requiring NO case mods to use 2 litre cylinders. You have to change the crank and rods, though, because of the wristpin location, and the heads have to be opened up to accept the cylinders. The Cap'n
Lou W
So, what is the advantage of doing this? huh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Lou W @ May 6 2005, 01:19 PM)
So, what is the advantage of doing this? huh.gif

none that I can think of.....supposedly the early 1.7 cases are stronger according to Jake, but I doubt us normal people would build a motor that would know the difference between the 2....

oh, if i'm right, you can use the bus 2.0 rods and crank to build a 2.0 motor from a 1.7/1.8 case and it might be cheaper than to source a true 2.0 shortblock
bd1308
yeah....thats why it was called "just thinking" and not " here's what im gonna do"
tat2dphreak
advantage? you aren't throwing out a 1.7, you are using it...

it stops there though..
SLITS
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 6 2005, 01:52 PM)
"just thinking"

In your case, an extremely dangerous activity....stop before you hurt yourself.
scotty b
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 6 2005, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (scotty b @ May 6 2005, 04:49 AM)

You're just flat out wrong. The cases are the SAME, requiring NO case mods to use 2 litre cylinders. You have to change the crank and rods, though, because of the wristpin location, and the heads have to be opened up to accept the cylinders. The Cap'n

You're just flat out right!! I and Paul were both thinking backwards this morning. Thanks for calling me out like a dick! I realized that I was thinking backwards after the fact but didn't correct my post because it had already been stated correctly. How about a little tact next time??? huh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (scotty b @ May 6 2005, 07:14 PM)
How about a little tact next time?

Cap'n Krusty got his appellation the old-fashioned way - he earned it.

he's kinda like sandpaper - sometimes ya get the smooth side, and sometimes you get the rough. it happens that sometimes, it's the rough side that gets results :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.