Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protect your engine lid hinges from bending or breakage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Simple idea. I installed a steel cable from a screw eye in the engine bay to a screw eye on the engine lid. I put a snap on one end of the cable just in case I have to move it to work on anything in the engine bay. The cable is just long enough to allow full opening of the engine lid but no more. I can pop the engine lid from in the cabin and I no longer have to hold my hand on the lid to keep it from opening too hard and bending or breaking the hinges. Works great!
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Great idea smile.gif What is the round thing mounted to the Bottom of the engine lid ?
Tbrown4x4
Fire suppression. Forgot the name. There is a thread or two on here.
db9146
Blazecut Fire Suppression
jeffdon
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Mar 26 2017, 03:02 AM) *

Simple idea. I installed a steel cable from a screw eye in the engine bay to a screw eye on the engine lid. I put a snap on one end of the cable just in case I have to move it to work on anything in the engine bay. The cable is just long enough to allow full opening of the engine lid but no more. I can pop the engine lid from in the cabin and I no longer have to hold my hand on the lid to keep it from opening too hard and bending or breaking the hinges. Works great!
Click to view attachment

Been thinking of this for ages, exepct I was going to use some fairly heavy shock cord.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Mar 26 2017, 08:50 AM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Mar 26 2017, 03:02 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Been thinking of this for ages, exepct I was going to use some fairly heavy shock cord.

Yep, Blazecut Fire Suppression system, cheap fire insurance. I supported the tightly curved area with a split electrical pvc pipe curve to keep it from kinking there. Here's a pic of it installed.
Click to view attachment
fiberglass1inc
Great idea! My right side bracket has peeled away from the firewall so I've been considering making a mold of the bracket (in place) and the landing area of the firewall. Then a carbon/glass part can be made to straddle the top, and bolted to the firewall on each side of the bracket to take some of the stress off of the weld.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(fiberglass1inc @ Mar 26 2017, 02:35 PM) *

Great idea! My right side bracket has peeled away from the firewall so I've been considering making a mold of the bracket (in place) and the landing area of the firewall. Then a carbon/glass part can be made to straddle the top, and bolted to the firewall on each side of the bracket to take some of the stress off of the weld.

No need to go to all that effort. Just reweld the existing bracket to the firewall one time and install a control cable. You don't have to hold the cover anymore when you release it, and you won't ever have to fix the hinges again!
Elliot Cannon
I cut one of the torsion bars off of mine. Now when I pop the engine lid, it only opens a few inches.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 26 2017, 03:34 PM) *

I cut one of the torsion bars off of mine. Now when I pop the engine lid, it only opens a few inches.

Elliot, do you have to hold it up when you work in the engine bay then?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.