Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Excellent Interior Light $110 shipped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914Sixer
My car is not stock so I am offering this for sale. Good bulb included. Looks better than pictures show. $110 shipped

Paypal: a914nut@email.com
GregAmy
Is that a typo on the price? If not, then someone can have the one out of my car for half that price. Shipped.

Edit: My Hella one is sold. If it has come to this, we've truly jumped the shark with these cars and you guys are insane.
mepstein
Is this a hella light?
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 26 2017, 06:13 AM) *

My car is not stock so I am offering this for sale. Good bulb included. Looks better than pictures show. $110 shipped

Paypal: a914nut@email.com

Mark,

I agree with Mark E's question - do you know who the manufacturer is with that "S" or "double J" or whatever that logo is on the 1st pic?

IPB Image

That & the VW logo leads me to believe it's something other than a W. German Hella, or any Hella - unless the used that logo in some other than Germany plant?? confused24.gif

What's the back story on this light's maker & origin?

BTW, I am looking for a CW nice Hella or OE interior light for my resto.

PS - Have you test fitted this in your 914?

I ask because this shot makes it look deeper than the stock 914 light....

IPB Image

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 26 2017, 08:45 AM) *

Thanx Mike - I'd forgotten about those links - duh! .... I posted in them! blink.gif

So the Logo is for Saturnus VW OEM, per Dave K's pix & info at the both links Mike gave above.

IPB Image

I recall that mine had a white button/silver rim German Hella when I bought it as 2nd owner in 12/75, but by the time I had to replace it in 1980-81 they only made all clear black button Hellas, the latter of which you can still get new for a decent price for the DD & non-anal-CW types out there.

PS - The 914 PET shows p/n: 111947111D & these were used in Bugs/Buses/Square & Fastbacks/etc. VWs of the `50's-`60's-70's too.

Thanx! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tweet
That is a light manufactured by Saturnus. Nowadays Hella owns the Saturnus factory; they bought them out a long time ago. Yes, this light will fit a 914. All of these lights were designed to fit the early Beetles about 67-70 and then they were used on the 914 and later Porsche and VW. Except for the terminals and cosmetics, they are all interchangeable as far as fitment is concerned.

As for price, if you sold one for cheap, you lost money. Do a search on the forum. they usually go for $135-$150 for the Hella or Sidler variety which was also used on the early 914. On Ebay they will sell as high as $200 if in very good to excellent condition. And yes, someone who is a real enthusiast, collector or showing their car will pay these prices for the real thing.
Jett
Mark, if the light is still available, we will take it.

Please let me know.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tweet @ Mar 26 2017, 09:22 AM) *

That is a light manufactured by Saturnus. Nowadays Hella owns the Saturnus factory; they bought them out a long time ago. Yes, this light will fit a 914. All of these lights were designed to fit the early Beetles about 67-70 and then they were used on the 914 and later Porsche and VW. Except for the terminals and cosmetics, they are all interchangeable as far as fitment is concerned.

As for price, if you sold one for cheap, you lost money. Do a search on the forum. they usually go for $135-$150 for the Hella or Sidler variety which was also used on the early 914. On Ebay they will sell as high as $200 if in very good to excellent condition. And yes, someone who is a real enthusiast, collector or showing their car will pay these prices for the real thing.

Hey Tweet -

I was asking about the depth of the light into the backpad for fitment, because I'd run into some VW sources lights which didn't fit the backpad in my 914 properly back in the day - yes the VW dealer said "it should fit fine" & I was on a trip out of town, but in fact it stood about an 1/8" proud of the pad face when the back parts sticking out bottomed-out against the firewall behind it - which led me to replace it with the black button ...111D one from the OC Porsche+Audi dealer when I got home.

Other issues that coan come up on fitment is that the clips which hold it into the backpad may need to be tweaked with some needle nose pliers to fit well (not a big deal), or that the button ends up on the opposite side from the OE lights used in the 914 (see p/n below) when you hook up the leads to the blade connectors (also not a huge deal, but may bug some CW types).

So from personal experience back-in-the-day - some don't fit as well as others with similar part nos. & mfgrs. for other VWs, as do the original p/n: 111-947-111D lights - in either black-button/all-clear-lense or white-button/silver-rim flavors.

I asked because the side pic of Mark's Saturnus above looks deeper than what I recall on the stock .....111D part, but I don't have one at hand, & am not going to dig one out right now to pic & post, since I'm looking for a Hella white-button/silver-rim anyway - but it's just a point/caution now for the others considering buying it.

If it fits okay & Mark Heard/914Sixer can try it in his 914 to verify (5 mins time for the seller/OP to do), then it should be good to go for somebody else, & the price is probably pretty fair for what others that I've seen online lately at $100-200, as you noted above.

Mark H - might I suggest that you install it in your 914 & take pix of fitment & wiring install & of your correct stock one (if you have it), then post them here for your prospective buyers to see it. It won't hurt to install it, since it is used, & not NOS.

GLWTS beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 26 2017, 06:29 AM) *

Is that a typo on the price? If not, then someone can have the one out of my car for half that price. Shipped.

Edit: My Hella one is sold. If it has come to this, we've truly jumped the shark with these cars and you guys are insane.

Got any other original parts for half of market price? I'm an insane buyer.
tweet
Hello Tom,
I know what you mean about the lights protruding from the backpack. I agree it happens, but I have only noted that with aftermarket new lights, not the vintage form. Yes, the terminals vary from screw to blade and where the button is, that is why I did a write-up on it. One of the links Mark posted is mine. It is the one with the long row of lights. One thing I also noted about fitment also has to do with each individual backpad. Many are distorted due to age and moisture damage. I have never measured the depth, but they look the same to me through the years. But, the OP can help the buyer with that. His asking price is more than fair if the light works in all 3 positions given aesthetic condition. Hope this helps.
_Dan
dlkawashima
The Saturnus and Hella dome lights are virtually identical in every way, except for the logos.

It's the Sidler that's slightly different in the way it's constructed (see image below), but dimensionally all three are the same.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Dang ... I'm sitting on a gold mine ... I have two spare Hellas, fellas mueba.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 26 2017, 11:02 AM) *

The Saturnus and Hella dome lights are virtually identical in every way, except for the logos.

It's the Sidler that's slightly different in the way it's constructed (see image below), but dimensionally all three are the same.

Click to view attachment

To my eye Dave, the Saturnus on the left looks a few mms/ or 1/16ths" taller at the bezel face to rear connectors in that pic - but you've got them in your hand, & not on a level surface looking directly side-on - so it may just be positioning &/or optical delusion.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(tweet @ Mar 26 2017, 11:00 AM) *

Hello Tom,
I know what you mean about the lights protruding from the backpack. I agree it happens, but I have only noted that with aftermarket new lights, not the vintage form. Yes, the terminals vary from screw to blade and where the button is, that is why I did a write-up on it. One of the links Mark posted is mine. It is the one with the long row of lights. One thing I also noted about fitment also has to do with each individual backpad. Many are distorted due to age and moisture damage. I have never measured the depth, but they look the same to me through the years. But, the OP can help the buyer with that. His asking price is more than fair if the light works in all 3 positions given aesthetic condition. Hope this helps.
_Dan

Yes Dan,

I agree on condition & price, & I would've pulled the trigger myself right away after seeing Mark's pix had it been a Hella (I've bought a lot of 914 stuff from him in the past few years).

Also, I had read your other post on the lights before when first posted, & again today, & it's great info.

What I'm adding here is from my personal experience with both my own 2nd owner since 1975 -1973 2L, & with several other friends with 70-76 models back at the time when they were new - when you could get parts at VW & Porsche+Audi dealers, & at a multitude of independent Porsche parts shops - including when Performance Products was still a real shop up in the San Fernando Valley where you could walk in & talk with sales people who actually knew 914s!

For the prospective buyers, what I'm pointing out are what issue I had with my 914 when it was just a few years old in the late 1970's & early `80's - with zero backpad deterioration, nor was it's fiberboard backer deteriorated, nor did I ever have a rear window water leak to cause it, & it was all 100% stack as to anything which could affect proper fitment into the pad.

I just wanted whomever else to be aware of it, since I'm moving on to keep up my hunt for a Hella white-button to match my original, since I'm trying to resto my early-73 2L to what it was when it got to the dealer's lot from the factory, & before they stole my Fuchs 2L spare (left a steelie) & snipped off the wires & stole my foglights & dash switch, & before the PO removed the center console & left it in his garage in 1975. I've got all those parts to put it back to stock, but I still need the interior light & 73 front chrome bumper with the "tit" holes & extra back-braces.

The hunt goes on! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dlkawashima
You're right, Tom. What I've experienced is all these dome lights have a very tight fit, not front to back but side to side. And these things break if you look at them wrong. Personally, I've broken three ...

Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 26 2017, 12:42 PM) *

You're right, Tom. What I've experienced is all these dome lights have a very tight fit, not front to back but side to side. And these things break if you look at them wrong. Personally, I've broken three ...

Ouch!! .... that hurts just to look at it's loss!!!! new_shocked.gif

Side-to-side fit can vary by how they folded the vinyl fabric into the holes, which can be moved around a bit (especially if it's a resto with the backpad off) - in addition to the end clips affecting fit.

Also, the plastic on these old lights is probably more brittle after 40+ years, so extreme care & gentleness is definitely in order!

The front-to-back depth can also cause breakage, if it's hard-up-against the firewall & if the pad is pulled out to try to get it flush with a too-deep light, & one pushes-off or leans against the back-pad for any reason. You don't have to ask me how I know this - similar picture but on a then only $5 VW part! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

914Sixer
Gee, I did not mean to cause such a stir. I was just trying to be realistic on what I though was a fair price.

Sale pending.

Added pictures of the late ones I am selling and the Saturnus. The Saturnus is shorter.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 26 2017, 01:43 PM) *

Gee, I did not mean to cause such a stir. I was just trying to be realistic on what I though was a fair price.

Sale pending.

Added pictures of the late ones I am selling and the Saturnus. The Saturnus is shorter.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Thanx for posting the pix Mark.

I'm surprised that it is the shorter one. Is the Hella one a ....111D part number?

And your price for the Saturnus is fair, as I've said 4 or 5 times now in this thread! smile.gif

GLWTS beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 26 2017, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 26 2017, 06:29 AM) *

Got any other original parts for half of market price? I'm an insane buyer.

Dunno, hit me with a list of whatever ridiculously overpriced OE parts you're looking for. If I have them, you're welcome to them! I've already recovered 10% of the purchase price of the car by selling an interior light.

WTF.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.