Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help reading vin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jason 914-6
I have a ex race car body shell here and the only VIN is the one on the inner guard area. I have got all bar the fifth digit. I have tried pencil rubbing/sanding but I still can't make it out.Looks like 4742?19063
Any help you be great biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
That Sure looks like a "5" to me
Jason 914-6
Hi Thanks, by the 1974 vin numbers maybe it should be a 9.
brubou
That sounds right. Based on the vin table on p914 and the first 4 digits being 4742, the fifth digit must be a 9.
Tbrown4x4
I agree. 29 was the code for Karmann
TheCabinetmaker
There is this button at the top of the page the says "914 info". Hit that and all will be revealed. wink.gif
bretth
If it still has the original dash top (doesn't look like it in the pic) the number is sometimes hand written under this panel.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 27 2017, 08:38 AM) *

If it still has the original dash top (doesn't look like it in the pic) the number is sometimes hand written under this panel.

That number is usually the chassis number not the VIN and even it isn't always accurate. It is supposed to match the chassis number in the trunk (depending on MY). Some people have reported names written on that piece (usually a woman's name) instead of the chassis number.

PS: RHD - very cool modification.
Tom_T
Yes, it has to be 47429....

Which also means it is/was a factory 4 with either 1.8 or 2.0 flat 4 - not 6. I just mention this due to your screen name & in case you're thinking that it was a factory 914-6.

And as others have said above, the 29 is for the Karmann plant where the 914 4s were built/completed, but only the shells for the 914-6s were made there during 70-72 MYs, then bodies shipped to Stuttgart for Porsche to finish - ergo a different VIN.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jason 914-6
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 27 2017, 09:04 AM) *

Yes, it has to be 47429....

Which also means it is/was a factory 4 with either 1.8 or 2.0 flat 4 - not 6. I just mention this due to your screen name & in case you're thinking that it was a factory 914-6.

And as others have said above, the 29 is for the Karmann plant where the 914 4s were built/completed, but only the shells for the 914-6s were made there during 70-72 MYs, then bodies shipped to Stuttgart for Porsche to finish - ergo a different VIN.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks all, yes it has been right hand drive converted driving-girl.gif , also the windscreen frame has been chopped off sawzall-smiley.gif . The guy I got it off said it had a 928 V8 in it and was a race track only car. I was thinking it might return some day as a street car with a 6 piratenanner.gif (no parts from my genuine 6 will be ratted)
I was wanting to confirm the vin so I could add it to the 914 register.
I also another chopped up parts car in my 40ft shipping container that is buried ATM one day I'll have a clean out unsure.gif and see if I can find its VIN also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.