Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's fair market price for JLO's eng/tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Need help from the board.

What is fair market price for JLO's drivetrain?

Engine: 2.2 liter 4 cylinder with dual Dell's. (I haven't measured size yet, but I suspect 40's). Cam is mild since it idles very smooth (could be stock). Stock HE's. The motor does not leak or burn oil. It has zip.

Transaxle: 901 stock ratios from the feel of it. Shifts GREAT! No grinding even with speed shifts. Clutch feels fine, no slipping.

I would like to sell the engine and tranny as a combo without disconnecting the two. I already have a potential buyer who asked me to name a price.

Ok guys...help me with the price... laugh.gif

Thanks,

Bill P.
Root_Werks
Engine/trans/exhaust..... $2k? confused24.gif Complete running package, so I would think it would be worth that? I am not a four guy though. Last engine I sold was a perfect eat off clean 1.7FI with top end rebuild with H/E's and muffler for $300. So what do I know. wacko.gif
nine14cats
Hi Dan,

I like your first number better. laugh.gif

I plan on letting whoever buys it drive it in the car if possible. That should convince them. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks!

Bill P.
Root_Werks
happy11.gif Well, if it started life as a real 2.0 and now is a 2.2, that makes it worth some money. You can sell decent used 2.0's all day long for $700 with carbs or FI. So I would think this engine would be worth at least $1000. Add a trans and all the goodies and shoot, gotta be around $1500? confused24.gif I would think?

I once bought a 2.2E eng from a 911 for $1k, pulled the 2.0 from my 914. Sold the long block for $750 and FI for $200 and the exhaust to someone for $200. Pretty cool it all paid for the 911 eng.

Makes me think, usually, you can get more selling things in parts, not a whole. Maybe you should sell the engine seperate from the trans/exhaust? idea.gif
anthony
Who built the engine? What bore and stroke?
J P Stein
Yeah, who built it, what kinda cam, any wear on the rod bearings, has it had Mobil1 all it's life? laugh.gif

I solt my 2.0L complete with FI, heat,clutch, for 900...it had a daid hole. Your set-up ought to be worth 1500-2000....more to someone with the need.
sixnotfour
But you have to subtract for the repaint of the engine tin. Yellow?

Were is the hide behind the sofa smily? Damnit Im out in open ar15.gif

Got it from Craig that should say something,
I sold my 2.0 Four bangers to people that wanted to upgrade from 1.7-1.8 ,1200 installed stock
good runners. 900 as is.
nebreitling
a hot engine tranny and carbs is definitely 2k.
ppickerell
Yea, who built it? I may be interested. Zero miles?
echocanyons
Also interested...
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 6 2005, 09:34 AM)
a hot engine tranny and carbs is definitely 2k.

agree.gif
nine14cats
It's always fun when there is no documentation rolleyes.gif

Maybe Craig Laughlin will chime in here but looking through the paperwork everything is referenced as a 2 liter. Not to say it isn't the 2.2 stated. Just no paperwork or trail of anything done to the engine.

So the motor is between 2.0 and 2.2 liters. it's still 4 cylinders and has carbs.

And it's quick. clap.gif

I'll let the potential buyers drive the car. They can decide for themselves if they like the power train.

Sounds like $1500 to $2000 is fair market price?....any more inputs... biggrin.gif

I've got 3 people interested...I was thinking of driving it for the summer, but if the engine comes out now...I get to start cutting that beautiful chrome bumper sawzall-smiley.gif w00t.gif

Bill P.
TravisNeff
A couple years ago I picked up a 2.0 with all FI, relay board etc., clutch (looked new - 6 spring), HE's (rusty, I cut the boxes off) and a banana muffler. It was supposedly rebuilt 30K miles prior, with a full tune up kit and a new tuna can for about $900.00. No documentation, I used faith and it paid off. Took the heads off and no cracks, still cross hatching in the cylinders - replaced the hoses and cleaned it up. It was a great buy at that price.
Trekkor
I agree with $2k.

Grantsfo...you see this?

Bill, you gotta a/x it at least once at Marina. cool.gif

KT
nine14cats
Hi Trekkor,

After thinking long and hard.....I've decided not to auto-x JLO....I'm going to pull the engine next month and make her engine less...that should keep her pretty and unscratched... laugh.gif Besides...I leave Monday for another 2 week trip to Asia.....great.. dry.gif

And "The BEAST" ?.......Once it's done I just may sell the damn thing and be done with the whole thing....frustrating doesn't even begin to describe this car build. Looking forward to the 2006 season.....maybe blink.gif

JLO on the other hand....she's nice.... wub.gif

Bill P.

boxstr
BILL STOP do not cut that bumper. Get ahold of Paul Brun he is in SJ, he has two bumpers of mine from the fellow in Monterey.
If you will get those and send them and the one off JLO I will send you a cutable bumper and top. That is a $500+ bumper with filled holes.

The motor was in the car when I purchased JLO, I was told by the seller that it was a 2.2, but he had no paperwork. Hell I'll buy it back. That is a strong trouble free motor.

CCLINBUMPERENVY
neo914-6
Bill,

Stick to your plan, drive the car and install the radiator asm and everything else first. Remove it now and you may have two jack standed cars for the rest of the year... ohmy.gif

I have your elbows from Renegade. Did you get your parts?
nine14cats
Hi Felix,

Nope...I haven't got my A/C and Heater from Renegade yet. I think they were waiting on the A/C compressor before shipping the parts to me. Hold on to the fittings...I'll pick them up in a couple of weeks. I leave for Asia for another 2 week trip on Monday. I'll be back in town on May 20th. wink.gif

As far as driving the car, it would be fun to have it up and running, but I'd rather do the detail work on the car (paint the front and rear trunks and engine bay) during the summer. If the car is running, I won't get around to it till this winter....then it's too cold!.... laugh.gif

Besides....aren't all 914's supposed to be on jackstands? smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif happy11.gif

Hi Craig,

I know...the bumper is too nice to cut...but I'm leaning towards cutting it since it has a new top (which I want) and is rechromed beautiful (which I want). In effect, I would trade for a bumper with an older top and that would need to be re-chromed.

I'll think about it while I'm on my trip.

Thanks!

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.