Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
jaredmcginness
Dang, I should have bought that 303 a long time ago! Would have saved me replacing a lot of parts! lol-2.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Apr 20 2020, 06:54 AM) *

Dang, I should have bought that 303 a long time ago! Would have saved me replacing a lot of parts! lol-2.gif

It really is good stuff, but there are side effects. Notice in the pics that it made my steering wheel fall off. huh.gif
Superhawk996
Looks great. Was wondering if you did just a a topper or the whole new part. Question answered.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 20 2020, 10:27 AM) *

It really is good stuff, but there are side effects. Notice in the pics that it made my steering wheel fall off. huh.gif

@bbrock
I've heard that some sort of little blue pill can have the same effect on your man parts. slap.gif
trojanhorsepower
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 15 2017, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 15 2017, 02:46 PM) *

Nice Pine. What state?

Are you talking about the siding behind the bat? It's actually "white fir" which I was told includes grand fir, noble fir, and a few other species. It was logged and milled in NW Montana. It looks a lot like pine. I don't think I'd use it again for siding though.

Wow, sorry. Just rereading this. I meant the snake, but I guess its a gopher not a pine, there almost the same.......
bbrock
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 21 2020, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 15 2017, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 15 2017, 02:46 PM) *

Nice Pine. What state?

Are you talking about the siding behind the bat? It's actually "white fir" which I was told includes grand fir, noble fir, and a few other species. It was logged and milled in NW Montana. It looks a lot like pine. I don't think I'd use it again for siding though.

Wow, sorry. Just rereading this. I meant the snake, but I guess its a gopher not a pine, there almost the same.......

Oh HELL! Now we are talking snakes! Yay!!! cheer.gif Even cooler than Porsches! It's only been a couple years but let's get to the bottom of this.

This pic is in Montana, so yes, gopher snake

IPB Image

And this pic is the same dude (me) maybe a couple years earlier with a Kansas specimen (bullsnake).

Click to view attachment

Back in those days, gopher, bull, and pine were all considered subspecies of the species (Pituophis melanleucus). Now gophers and bulls have been split into their own species (Pituophis canifer) but separate subspecies. So yes indeed. They have been confusing scientists for decades and sure are similar. Nice to hear from another snake aficionado and the rest of you are better people for having a bit of useless information about cool snakes! rolleyes.gif

Oh... and if anyone says I was a nerd, I going to call you a... No. No I'm not. Of course I was (am) a nerd. Look at that scrawny little greasy-haired geek.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 6 2020, 08:44 PM) *

"Okay, after wrestling to get the wires hooked up and the boot on the back, the bucket is remounted with hardware for the first time in three decades. Just need to screw the lens on. A few light turns of the screw driver and... *tink* "

DOH! headbang.gif

Brent, if I were you, I'd just go ahead and break the other lense right now and get it out of your system. Then you won't have to worry about it needlessly at at a later time. smile.gif lol-2.gif

Everything looks great as usual you mad scientist. w00t.gif

@raynekat

Well Doug, you were right. The other lens broke after only a single install and removal. Now weird or unnecessary pressure was applied. It looks to me like they didn't use the proper solvent weld adhesive.

Click to view attachment

Now it has it and looks good as new.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 22 2020, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 6 2020, 08:44 PM) *

"Okay, after wrestling to get the wires hooked up and the boot on the back, the bucket is remounted with hardware for the first time in three decades. Just need to screw the lens on. A few light turns of the screw driver and... *tink* "

DOH! headbang.gif

Brent, if I were you, I'd just go ahead and break the other lense right now and get it out of your system. Then you won't have to worry about it needlessly at at a later time. smile.gif lol-2.gif

Everything looks great as usual you mad scientist. w00t.gif

@raynekat

Well Doug, you were right. The other lens broke after only a single install and removal. Now weird or unnecessary pressure was applied. It looks to me like they didn't use the proper solvent weld adhesive.

Click to view attachment

Now it has it and looks good as new.

Click to view attachment

Well there ya go Brent.
For sure it's fixed gud n' tite now! drunk.gif
tygaboy
And Brent said,"Let there be (parking) light."

It's great to watch your car waking up from its loooooong sleep!
bbrock
Well here's one that might leave you shaking your head saying, "what a dumb fucher."

Over on the Samba is a thread on refurbishing the early metal charcoal canisters by drilling a hole in the two-port end, dumping out the old charcoal, refilling with fresh and installing a plug. Sounds simple enough. DON'T DO IT. It will ruin your canister. Ask me how I know. headbang.gif

Okay, I don't give up that easily. With a ruined canister in hand, I figured I might as well figure out how to open it up and see what is inside. The dissection was pretty brutal, but it led me to a somewhat easy way to refurbish these early canisters. First, let's look at the guts and why just drilling a fuching hole in one end is a stupid-ass idea. On the right is a stack of screens and filters that now have a nice 1-inch hole in them because I stupidly believed what I read on The Samba. The plastic plug is what will be used to plug the now unnecessary hole. On the right is why drilling a hole is a stupid idea. A stack of a wire screen, coco fiber filter, and perf metal screen all spring loaded against the cap to hold the carbon pellet charge nice and tight. Take a guess what happens to that spring-loaded stack when you dump the charcoal out... That's right. It rattles around loose inside a can and you are fuched.

Click to view attachment

Alright, how do we fix this turd? Well, the can ends are crimped and rolled and there isn't a clean way to unroll them. So here's what you do. Flip the thing over to the single port, spring-loaded side and grind the edge off the rim. I used an 80 grit disc on an angle grinder and it was quick and easy to grind away until the layers of metal separate. You can see the seam opening opposite the grinder.

Click to view attachment

Now you can empty the can, replace the screen stack in what is now the bottom and refill with fresh charcoal. I tried to find special vapor grade charcoal but could only find it for sale in bulk, so I used aquarium charcoal. The three pound bag I bought was not quite enough so I topped off with some of the original charcoal. You want it about a half inch below the lip of the can. This pic is before topping it off.

Click to view attachment

Reassemble the screen/filter stack on top of the charcoal and put the springs on with small ends up. There are indentations in the lid that hold them in place.

Click to view attachment

Then put a generous bead of sealant around the lid flange. Make sure it is gasoline resistant. Yamabond worked really well. Press the lid in place until the edges are flush and clamp until the sealant sets.

Click to view attachment

Now here's the trick to finishing it off and also the tricky part. Bend a strip of thin (26 gauge) metal in half and cut it to about 1/8" wide. Open up the crimp so you can get it on the can edge. Run a file or sandpaper over the cut edges to smooth them or your likely to slice the shit out of yourself in the next step.

Click to view attachment

Now you have to work the strip onto the ground edges of the can and crimp it on as you go. This would be easy if the strip was preformed into a flat oval to match the can but mine was all twisted and deformed from the cutting and had to be formed as I crimped. Bending the strip around the ends was the hardest because the groove closes up and has to be wedged open with a screwdriver blade frequently.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Eventually the strip is formed and crimped tight to make a nice finished edge. The only thing left is to paint it. And wall-A, a nice refurbished early style charcoal canister.

Click to view attachment

BTW, if you didn't follow the how to make orange peel thread, I found Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator does a nice job of matching the original finish on the canister.

IPB Image
Superhawk996
Wow. That was quite a bit of work!

It's a good thing you left a bit of the origninal charcoal in there. That way the car stays original. biggrin.gif

Looks great and that is a great tutorial for how to refresh the early canisters. aktion035.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 5 2020, 08:56 PM) *

The pigtails on the sockets I bought were a tad too short so I had to splice on longer tails. I decided to hide the splices under the sockets. Pics of OEM Euro lights I've seen used white wire. The closes I had of the correct guage was white with yellow stripe. Close enough.

Click to view attachment

I forgot to take a pic of the sockets soldered in place. My plan was to solder on the reflectors too and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know you couldn't solder aluminum. Now I do. blush.gif So out came the pop riveter and again, I forgot to snap a pic. Again in the interest of reversible mods, I crimped a piggyback connector to the pigtails so it becomes plug and play with no soldering.

Click to view attachment

Here's the finished setup... almost. That isn't the correct bulb in there but it works for testing. You don't have to look hard to see these are homemade, but I'm not going to take the lenses off just so someone can make fun of me. If they ask me to, I'll call them a dick.

Click to view attachment

Okay, after wrestling to get the wires hooked up and the boot on the back, the bucket is remounted with hardware for the first time in three decades. Just need to screw the lens on. A few light turns of the screw driver and... *tink*

DOH! headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Turns out that I got the back of these things just a scooch too high and snapped the lens right at the seam. It's not as bad as it looks. These are 914Rubber repros and I have the proper solvent to fuse them back together. I'm a little concerned at how little pressure it took to break them apart though and wonder how long the other lens will last. At any rate, I have some more filing to do but that's where I left things tonight. You can't win 'em all. beer3.gif

Mine broke just by handling them.. I then decided to buy NOS hella ones from 914sixer
FlacaProductions
Interesting that your charcoal canister is crimped all the way around - Ian's YouTube video on refurbishing his canister shows a "removable" end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C06XJgLhIc
bbrock
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 23 2020, 11:17 AM) *

Interesting that your charcoal canister is crimped all the way around - Ian's YouTube video on refurbishing his canister shows a "removable" end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C06XJgLhIc

That is the late style (I think 75-76) plastic canister. Early in the vid I think he mentions that he bought that canister because the late style are refillable. The early canisters are all metal and crimped on both ends. They both work the same but I couldn't live with the horror of having a late style plastic canister in my nice 73. screwy.gif
bbrock
It's a Gas

Been working on the fuel tank. I posted this before, but my tank was shocking clean inside. I just gave it a short treatment with muriatic acid and then flushed it with a bit of gasoline to get any loose scale out. While we're looking at this, let's review why I don't think we should be so quick to dump the fuel return when converting to carbs. Notice that the supply drains from the center of the bowl inside the tank and the return refills the bowl.That means as the tank empties, the system continuously scavenges fuel from the tank and concentrates it in the reserve fuel bowl. That's how the system is able to use all the gas. Without the return, the supply would start sucking air before the tank is really empty. Something to think about...

Click to view attachment

I didn't take any pics of the tank prep. I wound up media blasting everything to bare metal and painting with VHT epoxy paint.

Click to view attachment

Installin this thing was a much bigger PITA than I expected. Tip: make sure to turn the wire hose clamps on the fresh air box to the side and tape the tank straps. Neglecting to do so will get you nice scratches down the backside of your freshly repainted tank. Ask me how I know. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

I know the felt pads under the tank are controversial but I don't like the idea of neoprene because I think it would trap moisture against the tank even worse than felt. So I had an idea. I don't know if this is a good idea or bad but I soaked the pads with fluid film anti-corrosion spray. It is just lanolin like what is in wool so I can't see that it will do any harm. Maybe a little extra protection where the tank rests on the pads.

Click to view attachment

Another tip: Don't be a dumbass like me. Install the filler and expansion tank before putting the tank in. Giant PITA to install them afterward. I thought I'd spend an hour today putting the tank in and take the rest of the day off working on the car. Nope. Anyway, I finally got the bastard in.

Click to view attachment

One last thing, @Superhawk996 and @914_7T3 very generously pitched in and bought me a set of decals for the car from Carbone. This included an expansion tank sticker. Actually two because their first attempt was quite far off the mark and Jeffrey had them try again. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but neither version is very close to the original. So I have three choices, the original sticker (lower right) which is showing its age but factory correct, or one of the two replicas that look new, but are not correct. Curious what you all would do?

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 26 2020, 08:11 PM) *

It's a Gas

One last thing, @Superhawk996 and @914_7T3 very generously pitched in and bought me a set of decals for the car from Carbone. This included an expansion tank sticker. Actually two because their first attempt was quite far off the mark and Jeffrey had them try again. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but neither version is very close to the original. So I have three choices, the original sticker (lower right) which is showing its age but factory correct, or one of the two replicas that look new, but are not correct. Curious what you all would do?

Click to view attachment

That's a tough one. The repro above your old label is close, but it's not the same font, size, kerning or weight. Off by an RCH on all counts. I think I'd hold off installing that label and try to find the exact font. You can always install the repro later. I'll have a look through my font library to see if I can identify it.
Superhawk996
@bbrock

Brent, what ever you decide is fine by me.

happy11.gif

Sarcasm starts below:

Given that this car started life as a weasel infested, rodent condominium

Click to view attachment

It seems to me like you ought to use the original sticker. I'm sure the mad scientist in you can figure out a way to reuse it.

That sticker is largely complete and has a nice patina. So far your car is a 99 point restoration.

However, that last point is going to be lost for lack of patina.

Now, I'm sure you could rig up an array of heat lamps and UV lamps in the garage in order to impart a "fake" patina to the whole car and all the new paint in order to get that last point. But let's face it. That is lot of work.

It would be a whole lot easier to just put a dab of contact cement on the back of the original sticker than try to "fake" the new Carbone sticker.

lol-2.gif

Now you've created a real dilema for Jeffrey @914_7T3 . What is he supposed to do? shades.gif He didn't get the opportunity to start with a weasel wagon!

stirthepot.gif

av-943.gif
bbrock
Thanks Marc, Also, the original is printed on foil and it's a little hard to tell, but there is a silver foil border around the printing. The one to the left was the first that Jeffrey sent from Carbone and is on foil and the right size, but off on color and font.

My leaning is with Phil on re-using the original. I have cleaned the old adhesive off the back so it will lay smooth and just need to rubber cement it in place. I already did that with the octane sticker.

IPB Image

A pic of where this started.

Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 26 2020, 08:11 PM) *

It's a Gas

Been working on the fuel tank. I posted this before, but my tank was shocking clean inside. I just gave it a short treatment with muriatic acid and then flushed it with a bit of gasoline to get any loose scale out. While we're looking at this, let's review why I don't think we should be so quick to dump the fuel return when converting to carbs. Notice that the supply drains from the center of the bowl inside the tank and the return refills the bowl.That means as the tank empties, the system continuously scavenges fuel from the tank and concentrates it in the reserve fuel bowl. That's how the system is able to use all the gas. Without the return, the supply would start sucking air before the tank is really empty. Something to think about...

Click to view attachment

I didn't take any pics of the tank prep. I wound up media blasting everything to bare metal and painting with VHT epoxy paint.

Click to view attachment

Installin this thing was a much bigger PITA than I expected. Tip: make sure to turn the wire hose clamps on the fresh air box to the side and tape the tank straps. Neglecting to do so will get you nice scratches down the backside of your freshly repainted tank. Ask me how I know. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

I know the felt pads under the tank are controversial but I don't like the idea of neoprene because I think it would trap moisture against the tank even worse than felt. So I had an idea. I don't know if this is a good idea or bad but I soaked the pads with fluid film anti-corrosion spray. It is just lanolin like what is in wool so I can't see that it will do any harm. Maybe a little extra protection where the tank rests on the pads.

Click to view attachment

Another tip: Don't be a dumbass like me. Install the filler and expansion tank before putting the tank in. Giant PITA to install them afterward. I thought I'd spend an hour today putting the tank in and take the rest of the day off working on the car. Nope. Anyway, I finally got the bastard in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had a real problem when I had the tank "professionally" cleaned and recoated. In the process they used the mounts for expansion tank and canister were removed, apparently soldered on as originally made. I also saturated my felt pads with good ol' WD 40, hoping to reduce amount of moisture retention and abrasion.
bbrock
Quick one here for the dumbass files. I forgot to predrill for the threshold plates before painting the car, so YIPEEE I got to drill into new paint. As with all reassembly tasks, it got more involved than expected. I thought I could just use the plates as a template to mark the hole locations, drill them all out, and then install with the special plastic rivets. Not so easy. There is enough curve to the thresholds and stiffness to the plates that you can't just press them down to mark the drill holes accurately enough. Instead, I drilled the first hole and used a pop rivet to temporarily fasten the plate on. Then drilled a couple more holes. Then a few more pop rivets as needed to pull the plated down against the threshold until all the holes could be drilled accurately. Kind of nerve wracking because you have to worry about not ruining the new paint on the car, or the nice anodized finish on the plates. It's also not easy to center punch the hole locations with the plate in the way so fighing drill bit creep too. Not the worst job, but not fun.

Temporary attachment after all holes drilled.

Click to view attachment

Then I got to drill out the pop rivets, dab the fresh holes with epoxy primer to seal them and install the plates with the correct plastic rivet fasteners. I'm skeptical those plastic fasteners will hold up over time but we'll see. If they start falling out, I'll replace with black aluminum pop rivets. Please ignore the ratty rocker covers. I'm also just now noticing the warble in the door seal. Will fix that pronto.

Click to view attachment

These 914Rubber plates are really nice repros and a nice upgrade to the warped plastic originals. I've noticed a couple small scuff marks on the weatherstrip trim strip just from getting in an out of the car so wondering about how thick the anodized coating it. Time will tell.
bbrock
I Broke My Tit!!! yikes.gif

I know some of you don't like the bumper tits on 73/74 cars but I think a nice set looks good on a lady. Besides, how else are aficionados to know I'm driving a a coveted model year?

I pulled my bumpers out of the storage shed to start the resurrection. I knew those tits were going to fight me so three nights in a row I've soaked them down with penetrating oil and let them soak. Tonight I hit them with an impact wrench to try to break them loose quick without twisting anything off. Three nuts spun off like charms, but there's always that one little fucher.

Click to view attachment

I'm not sure when the tits got used as a parking brake. Probably sometime in transit hauling this tub across the country. The broken tit is also mushed in.

Click to view attachment

Anyone have suggestions on getting that boob to to pop back out? Figure I should see if it can be salvaged before even thinking about fixing the broken stud.

Might as well show the general condition of the bumpers while I'm here. The rear is in pretty good shape. The front bumper looks like it's been to battle from the aforementioned parking brake service. Mostly pushed in at the tits but several other dents and dings to fix.

Click to view attachment

Just a couple things to fix on the rear. A mystery tear under the lower edge (crowbar?).

Click to view attachment

and a ding in the corner.

Click to view attachment

I've never tried to straighten a bumper before so not sure what I'm up against. Check out this vintage tag documenting the last time this crate was on the road.

Click to view attachment

The bumper tops look salvageable. The rear just needs a clean and probably paint. The front looks like a pecker that's been slammed in a car door. I think that's because the bumper is bent so hoping it will straighten out. There is also a tear that was there when I got the car. I have a link bookmarked to an awesome repair a member did so I'll be digging that up.

Click to view attachment

So that's a preview of what's ahead.
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 29 2020, 07:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

So that's a preview of what's ahead.

The great work continues and love the progress! As for the expansion tank decal, I'd run the original if I were you to make up for the lack of originality of your charcoal. smile.gif

If I didn't know better, I would have thought that your paint protection film is your solution for changing the paint color to either Marathon Blue or Ice Green Metallic lol-2.gif
bbrock
Jeffrey's Can of Worms

The last few days have been Ground Hog Day and it all started when @914_73 posted a thread about plugging a hole in the dash vinyl. I pointed that according to Dr. Johnson's restoration guide, his rear window defrost switch was in the wrong place. Jeffrey countered by saying the restoration guide was wrong and produced what I suspect was a doctored photo from the owner's manual proving his position on the position. Most impressive is that he somehow managed to doctor my personal copy of the manual happy11.gif

That sealed it and I ordered a new roll of basket weave vinyl from 914Rubber. I'll admit the defrost switch location tucked under the steering wheel was awkward and looked awkward too. Makes much more sense to have it out to the right of the cigarrette ligher. So the old new vinyl was stripped out but it is never as simple as that right?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If assembling a 914 from scratch is fun, doing it four or five times is even more fun, right? blink.gif So while I was there... My vent control panel was not sitting as flush to the dash face as i thought it should, so I took the opportunity to readjust. Sure enough, I was able to get it to nestle into the opening better. This pushed the control unit back about 1/8" which put compression pressure on the control cables. Well... that meant THOSE needed to be readjusted. But wait, you can't access them with the fuel tank in place so THAT came out again for the nth time.

Click to view attachment

This do over gave me a chance to fix something else that was bugging me. My knee pad is missing (or maybe never had) the bright trim strip between the pad and dash face. The left the raw edge of the vinyl showing in spots where the pad meets the dash. This time, I ran the vinyl about 1/4" long on the bottom so it runs under the knee pad. I like the look without bright trim but does anyone know if all cars came with it? Oh, and the defrost is not in its correct location. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

And the gas tank buttoned up again. It was unanimous on re-using the original decal so there it is.

Click to view attachment

It was work, but thanks to Jeffrey, my Marathon(ish) car is in better shape. The interior is close to being permanently buttoned up. 914Rubber did not send a replacement for the missing nylon dash top stud which is frustrating. I'm waiting for some nylon M8 bolts to arrive from ebay before I can install it followed by final install of the radio. The only things after that are needing the subwoofer box we are being promised from 914Rubber and a couple more bonus projects I've been contemplating. beerchug.gif
KELTY360
Hey Brent, I have a nice right tit you can have for: 1) the cost of shipping, and 2) due consideration of painting those bumpers body color instead of black. Not saying you have to actually decide on that change, just give it due consideration. IMO, black bumpers were a styling setback for cost considerations. The black makes the front and rear ends kind of disappear where the body color bumpers give shape and definition to the ends. It also gives an old school look to the car. In my observation, the lighter colors, like your silver, provide the biggest benefit.

Good call on the tank decal; if anybody gives you a hard time about it, just call them a dick. happy11.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 3 2020, 10:43 AM) *

Hey Brent, I have a nice right tit you can have for: 1) the cost of shipping, and 2) due consideration of painting those bumpers body color instead of black. Not saying you have to actually decide on that change, just give it due consideration. IMO, black bumpers were a styling setback for cost considerations. The black makes the front and rear ends kind of disappear where the body color bumpers give shape and definition to the ends. It also gives an old school look to the car. In my observation, the lighter colors, like your silver, provide the biggest benefit.

Good call on the tank decal; if anybody gives you a hard time about it, just call them a dick. happy11.gif

Thanks Marc! I'd be honored to display your lovely tit on the front of my car! I'll PM you.

I think we talked about the body colored bumpers when you were here. I actually like the black bumper look and even like it better than chrome. I like body painted bumpers too but will stick with how mine was born I think. Also, with all the respraying I had to do, I don't think I have enough paint left to do the bumpers in body color if I wanted and that stuff was expensive as hell.

Okay, it's official. The fuel tank sticker comment policy is effective immediately. happy11.gif
raynekat
Oh Brent......I just noticed something you missed.
It WILL require removing the fuel tank again.
But you're a pro at that by now I'll bet.
There's a "special" decal that goes on the bottom of the tank....it says "you're at the bottom now."
blink.gif

lol-2.gif

av-943.gif

bye1.gif

Looking good as always up there in Montana land.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 4 2020, 01:41 AM) *

Oh Brent......I just noticed something you missed.
It WILL require removing the fuel tank again.
But you're a pro at that by now I'll bet.
There's a "special" decal that goes on the bottom of the tank....it says "you're at the bottom now."
blink.gif

lol-2.gif

av-943.gif

bye1.gif

Looking good as always up there in Montana land.

You are pushing the line there Mr.! av-943.gif
bbrock
The bumper project is on hold because I'm out of blasting media and so is my only local source (other than HF which is surprisingly proud of their media). Turning my attention to some smaller projects that have needed attention. First up was fixing this cracked relay cover.

Click to view attachment

To try to keep this from happening again, I reinforced the top hole by gluing in a disc of ABS plastic.

Click to view attachment

Th patch was the same drill as with the rain tray using a cut off piece of zip tie as filler only this time I used an old small soldering iron to melt the plastic because I'm still too cheap to by a plastic welding kit. Someone with more skill and patience, and maybe the right tools, could make this repair invisible. For some reason, I'm not in the mood to dick around with a part that gets buried in the engine bay so I'm calling this close enough. I probably don't need to remind anyone of the penalty for comment. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

And nestled in place. That's 30 bucks saved. beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
raynekat
That 30 bucks will buy you some beers my friend. wink.gif
Dion
Ha! That’s the month & year I purchased mine!
Yours was being parked, mine was just beginning it’s journey with me beerchug.gif
Great progress as always Brent.
bigkensteele
That relay cover looks like shit!

(It is the first Wednesday of the month, so I am checking the emergency system).
bbrock
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 6 2020, 09:36 PM) *

(It is the first Wednesday of the month, so I am checking the emergency system).

Dick av-943.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 6 2020, 07:50 PM) *

Dick av-943.gif

biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ May 6 2020, 06:37 PM) *

Ha! That’s the month & year I purchased mine!
Yours was being parked, mine was just beginning it’s journey with me beerchug.gif
Great progress as always Brent.

That's wild. Must be some kind of karma connection there but I'm not sure what.

Another quick project here. I'm a little shocked I still have this but looking kind of ratty.

Click to view attachment

A bit of the magic 303 treatment. I had to work really hard not to make it too perfect so @Superhawk996 doesn't go into another patina rant. happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Now who can be the first to say what it is starting... NOW. biggrin.gif
bkrantz
First grade lunch box? (Were you an evil kid?)
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 7 2020, 08:36 PM) *

No, and yes happy11.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2020, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 7 2020, 08:36 PM) *

No, and yes happy11.gif

I’m guessing the first grade lunchbox was Rocky and Bullwinkle.
bigkensteele
It's a factory rust inhibitor.

Or a black plastic rectangular object.

I think that both are technically correct. Kinda like "Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen"?
Dion
Purposeful camera angle is
Deceiving. Is that the battery cover for the safety recall? confused24.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ May 7 2020, 09:46 PM) *

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! but factory rust inhibitor is also correct. Now I just need a stcker as seen on Jeff Bowlsby's site. I don't even know if this will fit on the Optima battery yet but hopeful.

IPB Image
raynekat
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 6 2020, 08:50 PM) *

Dick av-943.gif

hehehehehe
raynekat
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2020, 07:09 PM) *

Looks like that "thingy" on the moon in 2001 A Space Odyssey....only yours is better looking Brent. shades.gif w00t.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2020, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ May 7 2020, 09:46 PM) *

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! but factory rust inhibitor is also correct. Now I just need a stcker as seen on Jeff Bowlsby's site. I don't even know if this will fit on the Optima battery yet but hopeful.

IPB Image

@cuddy_k 's sticker was on the underside of the rain tray IIRC. First time I had ever seen one. I would reach out to @Bart.Car-Bone to make the reproductions. Also @bdstone914 was talking about replicating the Bosch ECU decals.
iankarr
Yep. Mine's on the rain tray. One of the POs had my car in dry storage for over 20 years so the stickers fared pretty well. I just sent @bdstone914 a pic of my ECU decal. Also here...

Click to view attachment
bbrock
@cuddy_k Interesting. Sometime when you are near your car with a ruler handy, any chance you could grab dimensions of that sticker on the rain tray? I think I will see what CarBone can do on this.
bbrock
I'm going to regret this

This goes against me better judgement because it is just an invitation for more of you jack-asses to get online to heckle me. Tomorrow at 1pm eastern time it looks like I'm the scheduled intermission act for Quaranteener Fest with a live tour of my car. Deets are here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2812941

First one to be called a dick gets a... ah crap, no, I'll try to keep it clean. That should be interesting.... unsure.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 8 2020, 07:51 PM) *

I'm going to regret this

This goes against me better judgement because it is just an invitation for more of you jack-asses to get online to heckle me. Tomorrow at 1pm eastern time it looks like I'm the scheduled intermission act for Quaranteener Fest with a live tour of my car. Deets are here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2812941

First one to be called a dick gets a... ah crap, no, I'll try to keep it clean. That should be interesting.... unsure.gif

Thanks for the invite. I’m gonna be all over this!

beer3.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 8 2020, 06:51 PM) *

I'm going to regret this

Be sure to check your mailbox before going online. I'm just sayin'.....
Dion
beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
To those of you who weren't able to attend the live video tour of Brent's car, shop and processes:
Take the time to watch the recording. As you know from this thread, it's amazing what he's achieved and the video is frosting on an already delicious cake!

Great job, @bbrock ! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.