Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
bbrock
Thanks Chris, you are too kind. It was fun. My only regret is that I didn't do a good job of mentioning the many people who have donated to the cause along the way. I should have pointed out the wiper switch you sent for example!

And keeping with the theme of doing everything over at least once... Right after the live tour, I thought I'd investigate the annoying click when opening the rear trunk lid. All my 914s have had that and maybe it is just part of the charm, but I quickly found this.

Click to view attachment

To be clear, those torsion rods are supposed to go THROUGH that metal hoop. What dumbass put this thing together? headbang.gif

Off came the deck lid and out came the torsion rods. Now installed right.

Click to view attachment

Still clicks so little accomplished other than quieting the OCD voices. Oh, also confirmed that the battery cover does NOT fit an Optima battery. Time well wasted laugh.gif I may wind up swapping that battery to another car and getting the one @raynekat installed. Or maybe not.
BPic
Wow! I’m amazed that someone (you) took off the torsion bars, put them on, took them off again, and put them back on! When I took mine off it scared the crap outta me and I went with gas struts. happy11.gif

BTW where can we see the Quaranteener videos? I saw the drive video but can’t find anything else.

Nice work as always!!
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2020, 12:33 PM) *

And keeping with the theme of doing everything over at least once... Right after the live tour, I thought I'd investigate the annoying click when opening the rear trunk lid. All my 914s have had that and maybe it is just part of the charm, but I quickly found this.

Click to view attachment

To be clear, those torsion rods are supposed to go THROUGH that metal hoop. What dumbass put this thing together? headbang.gif

Off came the deck lid and out came the torsion rods. Now installed right.

Click to view attachment

Are you running brass or nylon rollers?
bbrock
QUOTE(BPic @ May 10 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Wow! I’m amazed that someone (you) took off the torsion bars, put them on, took them off again, and put them back on! When I took mine off it scared the crap outta me and I went with gas struts. happy11.gif

BTW where can we see the Quaranteener videos? I saw the drive video but can’t find anything else.

Nice work as always!!

Ha! The first time I ever tried taking the torsion rods off, I damn near lost a thumb. I'm fairly certain I cracked it and the flesh looked like a squashed tomato. Not something you ever forget. As always, it's just a matter of having the right tools.

Click to view attachment

The bottom tool is from McMark and makes the whole deal easy. The crescent wrenches are not the right tool, but ironically, is the only reason I have them. Wait - what? When my wife bought her 914, that red handled wrench was dangling with one of the torsion rods strung through the handle. Obviously somebody had successfully used the handle to install the rod and, realizing their mistake just said, "fuch it." The small wrench came similarly installed in the car I have now. I was starting to think these were factory original lol-2.gif

As for the video, I'm not sure it is up yet. I would assume Steve would post it on Ninemotoring.com

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 10 2020, 01:53 PM) *

Running nylon rollers from 914Rubber. Do they tend to click more? I really haven't tracked down where it is coming from.
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2020, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 10 2020, 01:53 PM) *

Running nylon rollers from 914Rubber. Do they tend to click more? I really haven't tracked down where it is coming from.

No idea! I've got a set of both, but not yet installed.
bbrock
@KELTY360
Picked up a package from the locker on our weekly run to Zombieland or groceries (our mail and packages are delivered 3 miles from our house). I knew what it was so set it aside until just before going to bed. When I opened it, I laughed and I laughed.
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

It was Marc's tit. It is a firm handful and you can see from his careful packaging that it is a D cup. I can tell you this. It is real, and it's spectacular!!!

Thanks Marc! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2PicT9Kng
BPic
av-943.gif
KELTY360
You have to promise to go braless.
bbrock
Welcome back boys and girls. It's time for another round of CAN HE FIX-IT!

First up is the driver's door map pocket. The fiber board split at the end screw causing the pocket to sag.

Click to view attachment

I know people love to reach for the fiberglass making these kinds of repairs, but as a woodworker I know for repairing plant fibers, it is hard to beat good old fashioned wood glue. I started by tearing up a bit of a shop towel into dime sized pieces and tossing it into an electric coffee grinder to create a pile of fluffy fibers.

Click to view attachment

Then I mixed it with waterproof wood glue to make a gooey paste.

Click to view attachment

That got smear into and across the break to create a crosslink of fibers across the tear.

Click to view attachment

Into a clamp it goes to compress the new fibers into place and make sure everything sets straight.

Click to view attachment

After the glue set, the repair was sanded down smooth. Oh look. Photo bombed by Marc's tit.

Click to view attachment

I happened to have some black India ink handy so what the heck, let's make this repair invisible.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Okay, that one was too easy. Let's kick it up a notch. Do you think a bit of 303 can salvage this?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Okay, maybe a little prep is needed before the 303. After stripping off the vinyl and scrubbing it a bit, I sprayed both sides with water and let it soak in to soften the fiber board. Next, I worked it with a steam iron to get it close to back to shape. Luckily, I still had the upper piece that was missing in the box so glued it together using the fiber and wood glue method. Then I cut a buck out of a scrap of MDF to use as a form. I sprayed it down with water again. Just enough water to soak in and make the board pliable but now so much that it falls apart. Then I sandwiched the piece between a flat surface and the buck, clamped it into place, and left it to dry.

Click to view attachment

After pulling it out of the clamp, I brushed a coat of wood glue on to provide a bit more strength. I also cut a new/old piece of fabric from the back of one of my original seat covers.

Click to view attachment

Some material had been lost from part of the fiberboard and seemed a little flimsy, wo I reinforced with paper mache using thin layers of cardboard torn from a box and wood glue. Some good old US Postal Service on my vintage German armrest.

Click to view attachment

The surface of the fiber board was a bit pockmarked. I suppose the right thing to do would be to smooth it with body filler but I took the easy route and glued on two layers of poly batting using the light tack adhesive I used for the door plastic membranes. The idea here is not to add padding, but just enough filler that when the vinyl is stretched on, it fills the craters.

Click to view attachment

The vinyl was a fiddly little f'er to staple on. The pocket was equally fiddly to install, but I prevailed. I'll let you be the judge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's it for this round. Thanks for playing.
Superhawk996
pray.gif

Wow

I would have just posted WTB.

Your patience is amazing. You repeatedly prove that anything can be fixed with time or money. I love that you do it with time and prove it doesn’t take big money!
mb911
Wow great job.. Clearly a man on a mission .. I would been happy to send you mine that I won't be using.
bbrock
Thanks guys. I can't tell if you are praising or making fun but either seems legit to me lol-2.gif I did strongly consider a WTB to replace that ratty thing and definitely would have taken Ben up on his offer, but I kind of ran out of things to do on the car until I get some supplies and better weather (it is snowing and raining at the same time right now). Anyway, I had more time than money or common sense on hand. I'm not 100% satisfied with that pass side pocket though. You can see there is a bit of a gap between the arm rest on the front end. I'm probably the only one who would notice but might have to pull it and try to do a bit more reshaping.
Superhawk996
Are you kidding? I’m truly amazed at your ability to resurrect parts that I would consider beyond saving. That is an amazing talent! You make me think more about what can be done with only basic tools.

There is going to be a time in my life where I will have more time on my hands and less cash. You’re teaching me how to maximize what can be done when I find myself there!

smilie_pokal.gif

With respect to any gaps. Even good parts have gaps. 70s build quality and fiberboard parts weren’t exactly know for durability or close tolerances!
FlacaProductions
Another amazing chapter. Most would look at that, chuck it and find one to buy. What I really can't believe is that Marc just let's his tit hang out like that.
raynekat

Still clicks so little accomplished other than quieting the OCD voices.

too late now, but some shrink sleeve over the engine lid spring rods especially where they touch and go through the hoop might quiet the clicking down
Jamie
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 22 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Still clicks so little accomplished other than quieting the OCD voices.

too late now, but some shrink sleeve over the engine lid spring rods especially where they touch and go through the hoop might quiet the clicking down

But that would potentially trap water and rust from the inside out, just like most of the rest of our 'teeners! icon8.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 22 2020, 09:33 AM) *

Another amazing chapter. Most would look at that, chuck it and find one to buy. What I really can't believe is that Marc just let's his tit hang out like that.

It’s not hanging out....safely supported in a D cup.
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 22 2020, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 22 2020, 09:33 AM) *

It’s not hanging out....safely supported in a D cup.

lol-2.gif That's a good one.

I posted most of this next bit on another thread but figured I'd document it in the build thread. My plan was to have these parts chrome plated by a somewhat local guy in Helena who looks to do very nice work. None of the pieces are terrible but have their share of fine scratches and a few blemishes.

Click to view attachment

About 1.5 seconds after receiving a quote of $800 to plate this handful of items, I rather suddenly adopted @Superhawk996 's fondness for "patina." Yep, that sure is some nice patina. You just can't get that with an over restored car. rolleyes.gif

So I polished them up a bit and bolted them on. A local shop cut a new side mirror glass with safety backing for ten bucks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Interior bits

Click to view attachment

Then the fun bits. That's a lie. The driver's door handle fought me for over 2 hours. The allen screw kept trying to cross thread in that soft pot metal. The location of that little bastard up inside the door makes it impossible to get a good straight shot. I unleashed the B-bomb, the GD-bomb, carpet bombed with the F-bomb - even the C-bomb and a few bombs that were invented on the fly. Then the oaths against my German relatives and ancestors started to fly. The soft squishy silicone 914Rubber chose to use for the handle gasket instead of natural rubber only complicated things. That f'er ended up torn in half in the process but I managed to piece it together. Finally, that SOB screw went in and the handle was in place. I decided to get a night's rest before tackling the passenger side. Next morning I went to the garage loaded with dollar bills for the swear jar and ready for a fight. Stuck the handle and gasket in place and screwed it right in. No muss, no fuss. Whole thing took maybe 3 minutes. Go figure screwy.gif So with that, here's a pic of the passenger side. That @#$% on the driver's side doesn't deserve a pic. Okay, there really isn't enough space on that side of the garage to get a good pic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Brent.....I'd go back and redo the driver's door handle now. Bet it only takes 3 minutes to do. av-943.gif ar15.gif happy11.gif

OBTW.....every time I see that "green" safety film on your car, I think you've repainted the car in green or are working on some mad 2 tone.

So you saved $800 and walked away with a bucket of patina? Niceeeeeee

Looking good as always and you never fail to lighten up my day and give me a good laugh or two.
Wondering what those "bombs made up on the fly" were? Could use those myself I'm sure.
bbrock
av-943.gif This next one is dedicated to you Doug...

There's nothing like a good flocking and once you flock, you just want to flock again. Imagine my excitement while cleaning up the inside of the driver's map pocket when I caressed the fuzzy remnants of some old flocking at the bottom of the box. Of course! Yes, the inside of the map pocket was lined with soft flocking. I immediately placed an ebay order. My pulse quickened when I opened the mail to find this.

Click to view attachment

I got so excited, I couldn't wait. I wanted to flock right away. There are many ways to flock. For this one, I decided to go with what is called, "The Sifter." A good flocking should be slow and gentle.

Click to view attachment

The result is oh so satisfying smoke.gif

Click to view attachment

I was hoping to blast bumpers and rocker covers today but when I opened the garage door, I found this Memorial Weekend tradition.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Way to flock there Brent.

Uh....ya didn't need to flock your yard as well though. shades.gif
You've got some serious messed up weather there.
And I keep thinking I might want to move to Idaho or Montana some day.....
BPic
Nice Flocking job!

But what the flock is going on here? Did I miss something? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(BPic @ May 23 2020, 11:22 AM) *

Nice Flocking job!

Uh... Whups! blink.gif That wasn't supposed to be there. It's Classified... shades.gif
euro911
Nothing short of awesome, as usual first.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(BPic @ May 23 2020, 10:22 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Classified....ah yeah. Brent is designing the next phase of the stealth bomber don't you know.....
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 23 2020, 03:38 PM) *

Classified....ah yeah. Brent is designing the next phase of the stealth bomber don't you know.....

Hehehe... better. There are four people on the World who might know what that template is about. I'll give you a clue. It is related to this: happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
BPic
confused24.gif
mb911
Looks like airfilter base to.. But there is no way .. Brent is doing efi right? Or could it be itbs?
BPic
He’s gonna go carbs and he’s casting his own rain hats!!
tygaboy
Mold for composite air cleaner housing?
Some sort of hammer form?

On that template that looks to be a base plate (and only if you could tolerate an outsourced part happy11.gif ), I'd be happy to plasma cut a set for you - as well as any other bits you might need.

PM me if I can help in any way.
Superhawk996
stirthepot.gif
bkrantz
Miniature cylinder head carved from wood?
raynekat
UFO's.....flying saucers.
andrewb
You're all over thinking it - twin cupholders ! biggrin.gif
gereed75
Back tracking a bit to the door pocket repair - I saw a you tube vid where they used paper as the reinforcement and super glue as the bonding matrix. Cut small paper patches to shape, soak in super glue and tamp into place. Multiple layers to build strength as desired. Fast strong and adaptable

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pzldxs_Z6DI

Anyone ever try it?

Oh yea, looks like a hammer buck for carb/ ITB bases. Can’t wait to see.
Dion
Just another day at B.Brock Laboratories. They keep cooking up great Stuff!
Carbon-14
A plug
for Carbon Fiber Composite filter boxes, the grid paper drawing is the base plan for the carbs. The steel ruler gives the size of the pattern, the paper's grid size looks like 1/4".
Those stacked, glued boards will be contoured, finished smooth to be waxed, released and glassed to make the molds. Going to look good, perfect, with a lot of work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeeSsmsm9h0...xLb&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBbOUDDJv4Q

bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 23 2020, 11:14 AM) *

Way to flock there Brent.

Uh....ya didn't need to flock your yard as well though. shades.gif
You've got some serious messed up weather there.
And I keep thinking I might want to move to Idaho or Montana some day.....

Whadaya mean by weird weather? A foot of snow yesterday and this today. What's weird about that? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
dr.tim
Sounds normal to me..
andrewb
Missing the updates. Where are you Brent ?

The clue is in the second verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vneYZMjtYZk

raynekat
That Brent guy? Huh...must be hunting season in big sky or something? Or he's nursing a family of wolves back to health. Brent...he's that kind of guy.
Dion
He’s good, talked with him last nite. He finally had to do his real job.
Which I thought was teaching us how to restore cars, apparently he gets paid to do
some other important things. laugh.gif
bbrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBxMPqxJGqI

You guys crack me up. Yes, I'm still ticking. Nothing as exciting as bears or wolves but I did almost step on a moose on our property the other day. Yes, I know that sounds impossible but it really did happen. The truth is mundane. Like Dion said, I've been buried with a contract job that had me working late and through weekends. I've been picking away at the car but nothing very newsworthy. @Superhawk996 stopped by for a long chat last night. I kept him here way too late yacking about cars and solving the world's problems, but I'm glad he took the time to stop. I didn't even have to call him a dick!

I did get the bumpers media blasted but weather hasn't been cooperative enough to get the rocker covers and valances done. I've been working on straightening the bumpers to prep for paint. Windshield is on order. The glass shop isn't charging me shipping if I have it sent with one of their regular orders but COVID has slowed things down so orders are less frequent. I called last week and he said he was "getting close." I also ordered some black gel coat to refinish the targa top. Going to try McMark's method on that. I've got a few other projects in the works I think you'll like but not ready to report. That's it. Hoping to get back to work in earnest.

Thanks for the concern. It makes me feel special.
Superhawk996
Brent and his wife are always such gracious hosts. Thank you. beerchug.gif

Brent’s car looks even better in person and has come so far since last year!

You can totally tell that his paying work is getting in the way of his teaching about the finer points of 914 restoration biggrin.gif Got’s his priorities all messed up. screwy.gif

So many little details that are well done that I have no intention of trying to duplicate on my jalopy.

I even managed to get back to MI by sunset tonight even though I stayed far too late enjoying Brents company: Time flies with great company! driving.gif
bbrock
Glad you are home safe and thanks for the visit. You are most welcome anytime! beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
So many little details that are well done that I have no intention of trying to duplicate on my jalopy.

that is exactly why my fav. of my 914s is redrum..
Nice Visit...I got to get out more....
bbrock
Okey Dokey, let's kick this thing up again. Life's been hectic but I've been making progress and actually finished (almost) a project so that will be our Top story of the night.

Click to view attachment

Now, I know about the body schutz treatment to restore the texture of the targa top, but after I saw McMark's method using gelcoat, I though, "hey, that looks like a lot more work. I think I'll do that!" Okay, there's more to it. No offense to those who use body schutz. I'm sure it looks fine, but that strikes me more as creating a faux finish than a faithful restoration of the top. So... I set about learning how to spray gelcoat. But first, I had to prep the top with a thorough scrubbing with Dawn dish soap followed by 2-3 wipe downs with dewaxer and silicone remover. Then I broke out the DA.

Click to view attachment

After sanding, I filled a few hairline cracks around the edges with 2K glazing compound. If there was larger damage, I would have used reinforced filler but I think I'll be fine. Here it is ready for gelcoat and here's my kit:

Click to view attachment

It includes the gelcoat, MEKP hardener, 2K urethane reducer left over from painting the car (MEK can be used as reducer but several forums said urethane reducer was better), wax additive for the final coat (that seals the coat from air so it cures hard), and acetone for cleanup. Mark mention flattening agent in his post but couldn't remember what he used when I asked. All I could find online was hella expensive and I could find no info on mix ratios. My local auto paint shop just gave me a blank stare when I asked. Forums said you could use talcum powder so I gave it a try. Testing was done WITHOUT hardener so I didn't waste anymore product than necessary and easier cleanup. Three things I needed to experiment with; sheen, thinning, and texture. For the spray gun, I drilled out my cheap HF gun to 2.0mm following this vid. It worked great but when I sprayed my first test on cardboard, I wasn't getting the size of droplets I wanted and it was spraying on too smooth. I decided to try drilling out the gun just a little more. That was the perfect solution.... for ruining the gun dry.gif Yes, there is a limit to how big you can go. I was about to run into town to buy another cheap gun when I remembered my old ancient pressure pot gun that had gathered dust for 35 years. Why buy a new gun when I could ruin another? I stuck to the 2mm size this time and it worked. I still wasn't getting the texture I wanted on the cardboard. Turned out the problem was the cardboard that soaks up the gelcoat and flattens it out. The secret to the texture was to have the pressure as low as you can go and still push the mix out the nozzle, and hold the gun back farther than normal.

I experimented with a couple mixes with talcum powder to flatten the sheen but in the end, the sheen straight out of the can looked closest to the original. Just to be sure, I mixed a couple slugs with hardener to test if it hardened with the same sheen. Unflattened is on the left.

Click to view attachment

I sprayed two coats thinned about 10% to get base cover and then quit for the day because too many bugs were landing in the wet gelcoat. Better to spray in the morning when it was too cool for most of them. After calling it quits, the wife caught me napping.

Click to view attachment

Next morning I finished the spray and let it bake in the sun for the afternoon. Again, the final coat got wax added to seal out oxygen which inhibits hardening. I thinned the texture coats about 8% but should have stuck with 10. When the gun spit big drops, they didn't flatten out and had to be sanded off after things had set. I started with very light sanding with 400 and worked to 1500.

Overall, I'm happy with the texture. I think it is just a little tighter than the original but I think most people would have to see it side-by-side with another top to notice. Be my guest, but I'll call you a dick rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

I think I'm going to do just a bit more block sanding to knock those big drops down a little more. They stand a little proud of the rest of the surface enough you can feel them and they catch the light. Other than that, I'm pretty happy.

Click to view attachment

I think this is a better way to restore the top than body schutz and also happens to be cheaper if you use Wurth, and especially if you have to buy a schutz gun. Would I do it again? Probably not. The reason is because now that I've spray Upol Raptor and gelcoat in different applications, I can tell you that the surfaces are indistinguishable in terms of hardness and feel. I think you have more control over the texture with the Raptor gun also. I'm pretty positive you could get the exact same result spraying Raptor but the Raptor is easier and about the same cost. I think it would be the best of both worlds. The ease of schutz with the finish of gelcoat.

Next installment will be refurbishing the other side of the top. It's done... almost. I'm just too tired to post tonight.
KELTY360
Nice result. But, you should show us how it looks in it’s normal setting.......the trunk!
dr.tim
Glad to see you're back on it. There's still a few weeks of summer left, so hope remains that field trials can commence this year.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.