Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 25 2019, 05:22 PM) *

drooley.gif

Sanitary! With all the parts going on the car you must be gaining a lot of extra room in the garage. When do we get to the part where you figure out how to get it off the rotisserie?

Yes, the pile of rusty shit stashed under the car and in the corners of the garage has gotten noticeably smaller. I even managed to empty out one of the storage bins on the shelves. The storage shed has cleared out nicely too clap56.gif

And then that other thing... Yeah, I find myself staring at that rotisserie more and more and pondering the sheer terror of getting that car down. blink.gif
bbrock
My lunch break task was putting my heater lever back together. I had the lever in the box schedule to go for chrome plating but got inspired by @mepstein and broke out the Mother's instead. It polished up nice so after replating the other parts, I put it together and installed it. I probably should have wiped the greasy finger prints off before photographing though.

It's the little things what makes me happy tooth.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

BTW, I didn't use the new knob that came with my 914Rubber kit because it looks too bright and looks like the cherry on a sundae. I decided to just polish up my original with Novus plastic polish. I've only polished it by hand at this point. It looks pretty good but should look perfect after I use a buffing wheel on it.

Click to view attachment
76-914
Spotless! poke.gif What are gonna do Brett ,trailer that thing down to the paved road every time you want to drive it? happy11.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 26 2019, 03:06 PM) *

Spotless! poke.gif What are gonna do Brett ,trailer that thing down to the paved road every time you want to drive it? happy11.gif

lol-2.gif Ha! No, I'm going to go all Baja on its ass! driving.gif

Our road isn't actually as bad as Marc lets on. To be fair, it was in the absolute worst condition I've ever seen it when he visited. It is a long story, but that was hopefully an anomaly although it needs some catch-up maintenance now. It does get dusty though. But as much as I used to love tearing down dirt roads in this car back in the day, there will probably be a lot less of that going forward.

That reminds me of a great story with this car. My wife and I were taking a paved, but very seldom traveled back road into work one morning with the top off. Came around a fast sweeper to find a frickin' longhorn running top speed in my lane straight at me, and a cowgirl on a horse trying to catch it. Four-wheel disc brakes brought our little pony to a whoa in nothing flat. Then it was up to the steer which was rapidly getting larger in the windshield. At this point, the cowgirl had pulled up on the reins and sitting their with eyes wide and mouth agape. Would the longhorn go over, or around? It veered at the last moment and I swear its right horn went right over Elizabeth's head. Both seats and a saddle got serious creases in them that day!
altitude411

If your getting the snow like we are it's gonna be August before you can get it out of the garage... dry.gif It's sure is gonna be beautiful though. first.gif
raynekat
Brock Dude....totally awesome everything looks.
bbrock
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Feb 26 2019, 04:05 PM) *

If your getting the snow like we are it's gonna be August before you can get it out of the garage... dry.gif It's sure is gonna be beautiful though. first.gif

Yes! I love it! Having to plow twice a day to keep up. Driveway is getting kind of skinny because I'm running out of room to put the snow. The only down side is that I have a stack of five Fuchs buried under it that needs to be dug out before my car touches the ground - and that is on the north side of the house where it is drifted to over five feet deep. But really, how can anyone not love this stuff confused24.gif

A few shots of the current view.

Click to view attachment

Greenhouse eve is about 4ft above the ground.

Click to view attachment

The lump behind the Pathfinder is a pickup truck. The dog wants to know why we aren't skiing.

Click to view attachment

The eve is 9ft. high.
altitude411
Awesome best friend... I had his look-a-like a few years back. Don't touch the skis unless you are actually going. You have a great piece of the universe there Brent. beerchug.gif It's so beautiful here the river is gorged across the highway. wub.gif this shit
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 26 2019, 02:47 PM) *

Our road isn't actually as bad as Marc lets on.

Brent is right Kent. I had no trouble getting up his road in my Syncro Westy. Didn't even need the 4WD. Once you sync your speed to the top of the washboard ruts it's smooth as ice and the pot holes were big enough to be seen from a distance so they were easy to dodge. poke.gif
dr.tim
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 25 2019, 09:13 PM) *
Yeah, I find myself staring at that rotisserie more and more and pondering the sheer terror of getting that car down. blink.gif

Let me know when and I'll run over to lend a hand.
bbrock
QUOTE(dr.tim @ Feb 27 2019, 05:42 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 25 2019, 09:13 PM) *
Yeah, I find myself staring at that rotisserie more and more and pondering the sheer terror of getting that car down. blink.gif

Let me know when and I'll run over to lend a hand.

Thanks Tim! Luckily with tires on, it will have less distance to come down than it did going up.
bbrock
I've been a little distracted from the car project this week. We got a "skiff" of snow.

Click to view attachment

How to hide a 100 pound dog:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Wish I'd gotten a pic of the rabbit that was looking at me through a window yesterday that is normally five feet above the ground!

Looks like we are in for another round over the weekend. Goin' skiing today!
altitude411
lol-2.gif I've been wondering. It's getting more and more beautiful by the hour. dry.gif
* you still have rabbits that are alive??

Going out for a "scenic drive" now that the roads have cleared...

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Mar 1 2019, 10:32 AM) *

lol-2.gif I've been wondering. It's getting more and more beautiful by the hour. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Where was that pic taken? Reminds me of the first time I drove through Island Park in the winter. I was feeling pretty nauseous by the time I got out of that snow tunnel from not being able to orient myself. Nothing but white in ever direction for 20 miles.
euro911
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Mar 1 2019, 09:32 AM) *

Click to view attachment
I don't know ... I'd feel really leery about driving on a road like that - afraid of an avalanche letting loose on my ass yikes.gif

My place in mid-N/E AZ last week. I won't be going there until it warms up a bit shades.gif

Click to view attachment
flyer86d
It’s been a long long winter here in Vermont also.....I go out to the shop long enough to look for things that I can bring in and do in front of the wood stove in the house.

Charlie
raynekat

Click to view attachment

Many years ago I hit Yellowstone in late April....roads looked just like that. It was crazy.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 1 2019, 05:30 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Many years ago I hit Yellowstone in late April....roads looked just like that. It was crazy.

Island Park, that I mentioned earlier is on the west edge of Yellowstone. The snow-walled highway is infamous. The other thing about that area is that when you do get a view beyond "the wall," it is usually onto a cluster of summer cabins than can only be determined by the chimneys sticking out of the snow. It's only a couple hours to drive down there, but a whole other level of winter!
altitude411
Yep. I'm about an hour from there. This pic is actually in Japan but Island park is very similar. I had a friend who use to plow in Island Park and one night in zero vis he called the dispatch and told them he was't sure if he was even on the road any longer. They told him to stop plowing and just keep the engine/truck running till daylight and when they found him he was 400 ft from the highway. huh.gif
bbrock
Despite temps at -17F on the sunny side of the mountain here, the snow held off enough for me to get some work done on the car. Several tasks in progress but only a couple far enough along to show.

First up, front brake rotors. They look nasty, but still plenty of meat on them.

Click to view attachment

I glass blasted them, then painted the hats with high temp paint, then took them in to have them turned this afternoon. I was surprised they were able to do it right away. Didn't even have to take much off. BTW, I suspected I had mounted the dust shields on backwards but figure one of you guys would point out my mistake if I did. I did, and you didn't confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I just have the rotors on the spindles now as a way to store them off the ground and out of the way. As I was cleaning the bearing for repacking, they all looked good until I got to the last one - an outer. It had some wear. If I'm going to replace one, might as well do them all.

Moving to the rear, I cleaned up the springs.

IPB Image

Click to view attachment

I cleaned up a few other parts too. A little painting, a little plating, and they got together looking like this.

Click to view attachment

About using my old springs. @Dave_Darling pointed out the factory manual had the spring rates and mine were in the ball park. I looked it up and sure enough, they lay it out pretty explicitly.

Click to view attachment

If you do the math, you find the lowest rate in Group 1 is about 51 lbs per inch and the high limit on Group 3 is about 56 lbs. It also shows how each group is designated. You might be able to guess where this is going... popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif I don't know what Group my springs started in, but this is where they test now. There's more craziness like this to come.
bbrock
Fuched - Mountain Style!

Thought I might fill in the gaps about what's been happening up here in paradise. Be warned that this trail meanders away from the car for a bit, but all paths lead back to the Porsche these days.

Several days before the snow really started to fly, we ordered propane because our tank was down to about 21% and I like to order with plenty of reserve, just in case. blink.gif In the past, the longest wait between ordering and delivery has been 3 days, with next day delivery the norm, but our propane company got bought out and merged with another local company and customer service has not been what it used to be. So three days pass and no propane. Not a big deal but that's when the temps dropped into sub zero range and the snow started to fly. I started plowing the drive twice a day trying to keep it clear in case the propane truck showed, but the drive was snowing and drifting shut about as fast as I could plow it. Of course, that's when they tried to deliver. Forensics showed they made it almost up the drive and then had to retreat. I was home but didn't hear them. Instead of calling me at home, they called my wife at work and bitched about the driveway not being clear. Of course it wasn't! It was moronic to even try to deliver on a mountain pass famous for its snow on in the middle of the biggest storm in a decade.

The next day, the snow let up enough I was able to get the path clear, and keep it clear. But no propane truck arrived. Meanwhile, the temps dove deep. -15 to -17F have been typical lows with sub-zero highs. Friday night, my wife couldn't get home because the air brakes froze on a coal train which blocked the only road to our house. After waiting for 3 hours, she decided to drive to a friends house the next valley to the south and spend the night. The cold temps continued while the wood pile dwindled and the boiler sucked our remaining propane at an unprecedented rate.

That brings us to this morning when the temp at the house was -23F. Around 7:30am, the boiler quit. Our propane tank reads about 7% but either the gauge is frozen stuck, or with the low temps, there just isn't enough pressure to keep the boiler lit. Either way, we're out of gas... and heat... and hot water. One thing going for us is that the sun is out today and we rose to a balmy 5F ABOVE zero. We designed our house for passive solar so despite the cold temps and no heat, I'm actually a little too warm for my tastes with temps in the 70s indoors.

After several attempts to reach someone at the propane company, I finally got to talk to someone at 1pm today. She was rather bitchy, blamed us for not having our driveway clear last week, and didn't promise we'd get a delivery today. Might be time to find another propane service. The immediate task though, was to put the backup plan in operation. Heating our upper level is easy. We have a wood stove although our wood pile is uncomfortably small thanks to running the stove a lot more than usual this winter. The lower level requires setting up a portable backup propane heater, which meant retrieving the propane bottle from the back of the house.

Did I mention that all paths lead to Porsche these days? So here it is. I don't like storing the propane bottle inside our shed. It just isn't safe. So I store it outside. Unfortunately, unknown until today, it had blown off of the "shelf" I put it on to keep it above snow level when I needed it. That "shelf" happened to be a stack of five Fuchs wheels with rotten tires. That meant, in order to get to the bottle, I had to dig the Fuchs out of over five feet of snow and ice. It took an hour to chop the last of the wheels out of a block of ice, but out they are!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The last thing I need is these things cluttering up the garage, so I decided to add yet another hillbilly touch to the front porch. Think the wife will notice?

Click to view attachment

Now while all the digging and chopping was going on, the "supervisor" kept coming over to check on progress. Clearly he assumed all the labor was for his benefit. Less than one minute after I pried the last Fuchs out of the ice, he claimed his spot. Just to orient, that wall of snow is well over five feet high.

Click to view attachment

As for the propane bottle, it is still frozen in mud. I chopped and dug but any further effort to free it comes at the risk of an explosion. Call me picky, but I'd rather avoid that. My wife is going to buy another bottle after work tonight.

That's a week in paradise! It's all worth it though. These types of winters always sprout a bumper crop of 'For Sale' signs in the spring. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

KELTY360
I've heard that chopping wood warms you twice, but never heard that chopping Fuchs warms you once! Stay warm bro!
Dion
Brent, as always a wonderful read of your adventures in the paradise of Montana.
The “supervisor “ pup is so cool. We can’t compare out here in eastern PA.
I only had 5” of snow to plow from our drive this morning.

I love the attention to detail on those springs. Keep at it. This car is going to wind up in a museum in Stuttgart. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 4 2019, 06:40 PM) *

I've heard that chopping wood warms you twice, but never heard that chopping Fuchs warms you once! Stay warm bro!

It actually warms you thrice. Once when you cut it, once when you split it, and once when you burn it, but yeah, the Fuchs combined the cutting and splitting.

We are on emergency backup heat now. Sun is down and temps have dropped south of zero again. Can't even cook because the stove and oven are on propane too. The propane company didn't give two shits about the pickle they've put us in. We've had problems with their customer service ever since they bought out our old company. Time to find a different service. Not to worry though, got the wood stove going and my portable backup heater downstairs. Nice and comfy. No hot water for showers in the morning though, you'd better hope the winds stays out of the west or you may get a whiff of something foul tomorrow. beerchug.gif

bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 4 2019, 06:57 PM) *

Brent, as always a wonderful read of your adventures in the paradise of Montana.

I love the attention to detail on those springs. Keep at it. This car is going to wind up in a museum in Stuttgart. beerchug.gif

Five inches !!!??? yikes.gif How did you survive? lol-2.gif

The supervisor is a good pup. He's our third malamute and I dare say the best one among some great dogs we've had. Probably because he was a rescue so I didn't get a chance to screw this one up as a puppy.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 4 2019, 08:57 PM) *

We had 2 inches at our house in PA but nothing in Middletown, DE. Sure is easy living in a place that has a full crew in facilities, a big ass generator and a dining hall with 3 meals a day. biggrin.gif

In PA, we live on a pretty steep hill and have always had issues with propane delivery. They don't show, the tank runs out and then they want to charge $100 to test the tank before they will refill. We just got a heat pump/propane hybrid system to reduce our dependance on gas. But it's no good for the kind of temps you are dealing with.

You need a fan or to to direct some of that 70 degree air down to your lower level.
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 3 2019, 08:42 PM) *

Despite temps at -17F on the sunny side of the mountain here, the snow held off enough for me to get some work done on the car. Several tasks in progress but only a couple far enough along to show.

First up, front brake rotors. They look nasty, but still plenty of meat on them.

Click to view attachment

I glass blasted them, then painted the hats with high temp paint, then took them in to have them turned this afternoon. I was surprised they were able to do it right away. Didn't even have to take much off. BTW, I suspected I had mounted the dust shields on backwards but figure one of you guys would point out my mistake if I did. I did, and you didn't confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I just have the rotors on the spindles now as a way to store them off the ground and out of the way. As I was cleaning the bearing for repacking, they all looked good until I got to the last one - an outer. It had some wear. If I'm going to replace one, might as well do them all.

Moving to the rear, I cleaned up the springs.

IPB Image

Click to view attachment

I cleaned up a few other parts too. A little painting, a little plating, and they got together looking like this.

Click to view attachment

About using my old springs. @Dave_Darling pointed out the factory manual had the spring rates and mine were in the ball park. I looked it up and sure enough, they lay it out pretty explicitly.

Click to view attachment

If you do the math, you find the lowest rate in Group 1 is about 51 lbs per inch and the high limit on Group 3 is about 56 lbs. It also shows how each group is designated. You might be able to guess where this is going... popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif I don't know what Group my springs started in, but this is where they test now. There's more craziness like this to come.

Those Bilsteins came out pretty bitchn'!
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2019, 08:40 PM) *

You need a fan or to to direct some of that 70 degree air down to your lower level.

Thanks for the reminder. We have a whole house heat recovery ventilation system that can be set to recirculate. You reminded me to turn it on to even out the temps. During the day, both levels get about the same amount of solar gain, so on a sunny day, temps run at least 72 even when it is below zero outside and with no heat on. But at night, the wood stove over heats the upper level so recirculating is a good idea. It's 11 below outside now but nice and toasty inside.

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 4 2019, 09:54 PM) *

Those Bilsteins came out pretty bitchn'!

They look even better when they are in focus. Stupid phone camera. I wish my front inserts would ship so I can get the front buttoned up.
mepstein
"You need a fan or to to direct some of that 70 degree air down to your lower level.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder. We have a whole house heat recovery ventilation system that can be set to recirculate. You reminded me to turn it on to even out the temps."

LOL, yea, that would work as well. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Well.... still no propane. I've never cussed out anyone on the phone before... I did it twice today.

Anyway, I did work on a task yesterday and today. Got the seat brackets refurbished... almost. Fresh repaint. mechanism replated, and bushing replaced with 914Rubber pieces. A note for anyone about to do this: the roll pins that come with the 914Rubber kit are too large for the original hole. You have choice of either drilling out the holes, using a Dremel to open the gap in the roll pin a little to let it squeeze a bit smaller, or do what I did which was to reuse the original pins. I highly recommend that option.

Click to view attachment

There was a hitch though. I had a heck of a time locating and welding in the seat hinges. Well, even though I bolted up the brackets at the time, somehow I got something off on this side. The hinges were about 1/8" too close together.

Click to view attachment

As much as I hated to, I decided to wallow out the adjustment holes a little to allow it to bolt up. This seemed way better than the alternative. This is a bad pick, but the holes are clear now.

The nice thing is I have these freshly replated mounting plates to conceal the crime.

Click to view attachment

And yes, the seat fits. First time in forever this has been in the car.

Click to view attachment

I'm just going to store them in there to get them out of the way, so I bagged it for protection.

Click to view attachment

What's that? Where's the driver's side? Well, my shitty day yesterday spilled over to the car. It turns out those little bastard springs on the bell crank are about as nasty as rear trunk torsion bars. My first attempt to hook it around the roll resulted in a slip that I almost lost a thumb over. I actually do think it might have chipped the bone - nice and black today. And I scratched my nice new paint finish. hissyfit.gif This morning I thought I'd just touch it up but the temp in the garage dropped into the low 50s last night... you now... because of no propane, so my paint was cold. I gave it a go anyway which was a big mistake. Totally FUBARed the bracket so I'm going to have to wait for the paint to fully cure for a week before sanding and respraying. I did bolt it in and slide the seat on, but I'm not showing any pictures of that shit show.

No to keep this turd sandwich rolling, remember these?

IPB Image

Yesterday I got a PM from Kent ( @76-914 ) asking if I'd checked the CVs I bought because his had the wrong spline count. I pulled them out immediately and sure enough, mine have 25 splines so these are 911/914-6 joints even though they are being sold by Porsche under the 914-4 P/N. Waiting to hear back from Porsche what they plan to do about it.

I had one other annoying thing happen, but that's too much negativity already. That's the news from Lake Wobegon. beer3.gif
76-914
I haven't heard back from them either. They're presently in the discovery stage aka the Oh Shit stage. I'm sure they'll contact us after the dust settles. Years ago my neighbor had a Malamute. She had a 5' tall chain link fence and that dog used to get excited and would jump 5' high when I'd go over to pet him. He could have escaped anytime he wanted. shades.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 5 2019, 08:45 PM) *

Years ago my neighbor had a Malamute. She had a 5' tall chain link fence and that dog used to get excited and would jump 5' high when I'd go over to pet him. He could have escaped anytime he wanted. shades.gif

I can't believe he didn't! Escaping is pretty much what malamutes do! This one is our third. I have lots of war stories from our previous two. Current one is curled up on the couch next to me now. smile.gif

Roger that on the "oh shit" moment. I expect it will take some time since these have to be shipped form Germany so they'll have to follow the rabbit trail.
preach
Looking good man.

I had a neighbor up in the NH mountains that had a Malamute, probably 140#.

Would sleep outside all winter and you would frequently have a mound of fresh snow move and he'd come out of it to say "hi". Very well mannered.

I had the pleasure of holding him down while his human pulled about 50 porcupine quills out of his face. More Bronco than Dog that day.
bbrock
QUOTE(preach @ Mar 6 2019, 09:14 AM) *

Looking good man.

I had a neighbor up in the NH mountains that had a Malamute, probably 140#.

Would sleep outside all winter and you would frequently have a mound of fresh snow move and he'd come out of it to say "hi". Very well mannered.

I had the pleasure of holding him down while his human pulled about 50 porcupine quills out of his face. More Bronco than Dog that day.

Ha! That sounds familiar. Ours wakes me up at about 2am every morning by shaking his tags/butler's bell to tell me he wants out on the deck to sleep in "reasonable" temps (we keep the house in the low 60s at night but still too hot for him). When it was -23F the other night, I checked on him and he just looked annoyed at the intrusion before curling back up to sleep. He is quite often that snow lump in the morning. June is hard on him because the snow melts. He chases it at it recedes until he's left with just a little patch to lay his chin on. Right now he is curled up on the hard packed snow on the driveway. Must be warming up though because his nose is on TOP of his tail instead of underneath.

We are on day 3 of no propane or heat. I'm over screaming at people on the phone. Called every propane service in the area and it is clear they have shaved staff and equipment costs to the point they are not prepared to handle a good old fashioned Montana winter. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
the term they used at a shop i worked at is ,,,No we are not hirng to refill postions , we will back fill with existing employes.... WTF
altitude411
bbrock
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Mar 6 2019, 02:48 PM) *

Propane delivered! You didn't have to delete that post, I didn't mind the hijack. smile.gif You were right that the overall crazy growth around Bozeman is the ultimate problem here. The driver who delivered last night confirmed this wasn't an inability to find drivers in this case though. But yeah, I may have to move if this area keeps growing.

Now back to the project beerchug.gif
PCA7GGR
Always a pleasure catching up on your thread - brake parts came out great.
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 7 2019, 06:57 AM) *

But yeah, I may have to move if this area keeps growing.

confused24.gif Where would you move? You already live in the last best place. Sorry man, you'll just have to make the best of it.
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 7 2019, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 7 2019, 06:57 AM) *

But yeah, I may have to move if this area keeps growing.

confused24.gif Where would you move? You already live in the last best place. Sorry man, you'll just have to make the best of it.

There are a few better places within the "last best place," but I'm not telling where they are. Luckily, we live far enough out to have a decent buffer against the craziness, so we still have it pretty good. The growth projection are scary though.

bbrock
Insanity?

I just finished a critical, top-priority task. The Bilstein factory paints the rear shocks with the lower perch circlip in place. When you move the clip to adjust the perch height, it leaves a naked ring. Tsk, tsk, tsk, those sloppy Germans... rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Aside from the hideousness of the glaring flaw that would surely draw ridicule, it seemed like the ring of bare metal might invite rust. Testers 1169 Yellow is a good match. So.... shades.gif

Click to view attachment

I think I dodged a bullet because I'm sure without this correction, the ride would be unbearably harsh. lol-2.gif
Cairo94507
Nice attention to detail. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
And you give me a hard time! At least I only redo my own work! poke.gif

Seriously, I'm with you that all the little things add up. You're going to have one very tidy ride, my friend.
sixnotfour
silver914.jpg FERG.gif first.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 8 2019, 04:23 PM) *

Insanity?

I just finished a critical, top-priority task. The Bilstein factory paints the rear shocks with the lower perch circlip in place. When you move the clip to adjust the perch height, it leaves a naked ring. Tsk, tsk, tsk, those sloppy Germans... rolleyes.gif

Aside from the hideousness of the glaring flaw that would surely draw ridicule, it seemed like the ring of bare metal might invite rust. Testers 1169 Yellow is a good match. So.... shades.gif

I think I dodged a bullet because I'm sure without this correction, the ride would be unbearably harsh. lol-2.gif

screwy.gif

poke.gif
mb911
@bbrock your attention to detail is really shining through. Love it.
bbrock
Thanks for the support everyone. I'm not sure you should be encouraging my craziness but I appreciate it. smile.gif

This weekend was another flurry of activity without much ready for show and tell. I did get the steering rack cover taken care of temporarily. It was such a mess, I wasn't sure it would be salvageable. Badly pitted with pinholes in spots and beat to hell with a big crease where it shouldn't be.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks to the undercoating, it wasn't a total loss and most of the pitting was on the inner surface. After blasting, I gave it a skim coat of reinforced filler to fill pits, pinholes, and restore strength. I forgot to snap a pic before painting so here it is with a new set of seals from 914Rubber. My phone camera really didn't want to focus on this piece so this pic is the best I could do.

Click to view attachment

I didn't even try to make it perfect. Given what it does and where I live, that seemed pretty futile. I've half-assed everything else on this car, why stop now? confused24.gif It still has a lot of dings and waves. I'll follow up with either some stone guard paint or Raptor bed liner which will not only hide the imperfections, but protect it. The paint for now is more just to give me something somewhat pleasant to look at.
euro911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 10 2019, 07:53 PM) *

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm not sure you should be encouraging my craziness but I appreciate it. smile.gif

This weekend was another flurry of activity without much ready for show and tell. I did get the steering rack cover taken care of temporarily. It was such a mess, I wasn't sure it would be salvageable. Badly pitted with pinholes in spots and beat to hell with a big crease where it shouldn't be.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks to the undercoating, it wasn't a total loss and most of the pitting was on the inner surface. After blasting, I gave it a skim coat of reinforced filler to fill pits, pinholes, and restore strength. I forgot to snap a pic before painting so here it is with a new set of seals from 914Rubber. My phone camera really didn't want to focus on this piece so this pic is the best I could do.

Click to view attachment

I didn't even try to make it perfect. Given what it does and where I live, that seemed pretty futile. I've half-assed everything else on this car, why stop now? confused24.gif It still has a lot of dings and waves. I'll follow up with either some stone guard paint or Raptor bed liner which will not only hide the imperfections, but protect it. The paint for now is more just to give me something somewhat pleasant to look at.
Holes in that pan don't pose a problem ... in fact, enlarging them helps with drainage laugh.gif

The 'BB' didn't come with a pan, so many years ago another member, Alberto ( @lagunero ) gave me a dented up one. I blasted it and pounded it back into shape, primed and painted it, then forgot where I stashed it laugh.gif
bbrock
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This phone camera rally doesn't like to focus on black things.

Click to view attachment

These aren't perfect. The camera hides the flaws. But they'll do.

Click to view attachment
preach
Looks great Brent!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.