Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to buy a Dash Cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
I've been seeing some weird stuff on the road over the last two months and I want to buy a dash cam, something that's easy to use and not very expensive.. Amazon's variety is limited to a couple of thousand and I haven't a clue. Anybody have a suggestion?
jim_hoyland
See:. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

There appears to be see several key trade offs in chosing a unit
Cairo94507
I just installed a BlackVue 650S-2ch in my DD. Love it. Hard wired, don't have to touch it, backs up to the Cloud and the 128GB micro-SD. Two HD cameras, front and rear and excellent quality. I purchased from The Dash Cam Store in TX and have since purchased 3 more for other cars for friends/family. They have been great and the customer support is excellent. These are not inexpensive, figure about $450 for the cameras, the upgraded 128 GB chip, the Magic Pro kit for install, etc. But it is a quality made, small, low profile unit that does not announce to everyone you are recording.

Click to view attachment
jonferns
I've had this Spy-Tec dashcam in my DD for the past 20k miles or so, and no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK8B47W/ref=cm...a_2EL2ybC9TSR9K
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 28 2017, 05:34 AM) *

I've had this Spy-Tec dashcam in my DD for the past 20k miles or so, and no issues.

How do yo repower the capacitor ? Please post a pic of the unit mounted in the car, looks like an interesting alternative....
Andyrew
For my dash car in my daily I wanted something I could hide behind the mirror so no one could see it while I was driving and I wouldnt see it driving. Most days I dont remember I have it.

I have had mine for 2 years and I noticed after one year the camera seems to be acting up giving a fuzzy picture. I do park my car outside every day and I suspect the heat wore the camera out. It still works, I would just plan to replace it every year.

I have mine powered by a keyed switch to a 5v power inverter. The inverter was about $15, the dash cam about $80 and gave fantastic resolution.

https://www.amazon.com/Arpenkin-DashCam-Cam...FQ4GH023J96YNH9

I wouldnt recommend this model, I would get something that has a firmer base in about the $200 bracket.
jim_hoyland
Can a dash cam video be uploaded to You Tube ?
Andyrew
Sure, just download it from the dash cam and upload it. This is true for all dash cams. They are just video recorders that overlap previously recorded unused video.
Ive used them for back road driving as well as reporting traffic accidents. Should work well for track days as well.
Andyrew
Example of mine. Most have similar quality (1080p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1dFg7jkSfQ
pvollma
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 28 2017, 05:55 AM) *

I've been seeing some weird stuff on the road over the last two months and I want to buy a dash cam, something that's easy to use and not very expensive.. Amazon's variety is limited to a couple of thousand and I haven't a clue. Anybody have a suggestion?

I also purchased one from The Dashcam Store (online) for my 914 (car's in the shop, so I can't attach a picture). It's mounted just to the right of the mirror, aimed forward, and has a nice wide-angle lens with HD recording to a micro-SD card. I got the GPS option, so that when I take the card out and load it onto my computer, the included app shows a gps map alongside the video, syncing with the video and showing the route on Google Earth. I also got the installation kit because I have the JWest fuse block, so their kit will install with the newer spade fuse design and power is permanent (switched) without messing with a cigarette lighter cable. Here's a link to the unit:

Mini0801 Dash Camera

Not affiliated yada yada yada.
Andyrew
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 28 2017, 12:22 PM) *

I also purchased one from The Dashcam Store (online) for my 914 (car's in the shop, so I can't attach a picture). It's mounted just to the right of the mirror, aimed forward, and has a nice wide-angle lens with HD recording to a micro-SD card. I got the GPS option, so that when I take the card out and load it onto my computer, the included app shows a gps map alongside the video, syncing with the video and showing the route on Google Earth. I also got the installation kit because I have the JWest fuse block, so their kit will install with the newer spade fuse design and power is permanent (switched) without messing with a cigarette lighter cable. Here's a link to the unit:

Mini0801 Dash Camera

Yup, this is the one I use. I like the size, just not the longevity if used every day in hot environments.

Big Len
How well does it record at night?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 28 2017, 12:22 PM) *

Mini0801 Dash Camera

How far, horizontally, does the Cam extend from the windshield ?
I have a wink-mirror and curious whether that cam would fit between the glass and the front of the mirror...
john77
I've bought 3 cameras from this place over the past 4 years, one of which is in my 914. They have great customer service and the site has reviews and comparisons of the best cams available. They also have video samples so you can see the quality of day/night videos.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/

Big Len
Thanks so much for the responses. I'll pick something out of the batch.
pvollma
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 28 2017, 07:02 PM) *

I have a wink-mirror and curious whether that cam would fit between the glass and the front of the mirror...

I've asked the shop to take a picture of the camera as installed in my 914. I hope to have it to post here soon.
pvollma
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2017, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 28 2017, 07:02 PM) *

I've asked the shop to take a picture of the camera as installed in my 914. I hope to have it to post here soon.

Pictures:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wobbletop
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 28 2017, 08:34 AM) *

I have the same one (A118C) and have no problems. I also use it to record my autocross runs. It mounts directly to the window, so it's very unobtrusive (looks stock on my Subaru STI) and also there is no vibration in the video due to the mount.

There is a newer version out that has higher resolution and bit better night video A119.

They're cheap too.
jim_hoyland
Will most of the cams fit between the windshield and a wink mirror ? The center of the wink mirror is 3" from the windshield. It would be nice to "hide" the cam in the front of the wink mirror....
Cairo94507
I know the one I posted would.
stevend914
I have a Garmin Dashcam 20 that I don't use if anyone is interested
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jamespal @ Nov 25 2017, 08:44 PM) *

If You want to buy a dash cam then Rexing V1P Front and Rear Dash Cam will be the best option for you....

spam.gif spam.gif spam.gif
bandjoey
Get on the Russians use. Have you seen those crazy car wrecks on YouTube? lol-2.gif
They're great quality.
oakdalecurtis
After reading of Sir Andy's unfortunate traffic incident here, (glad you're Ok Andy), I thought some of my 914 collegues might be interested in this product. I have always wanted a dash cam for my 914, but did not like the idea of a suction cup device on the windshield that could easily be stolen when my roof is open, which is most of the time. I saw an ad on tv and ordered several of these HD Mirror Cams for my cars. Before I say anything else, you should know that I have no connection to this product in any way, other than as an end user. The HD camera is located under a rear view mirror that straps right over your existing mirror in your car. Other than the small rotatable camera under the new rear view mirror, you can not tell anything is on the car. The HD video starts automatically when you get in the car from motion detection. A small included SDHD card records a ten minute loop of HD video, day or night. There is an HDMI adaptor included to plug the SD card into your computer to view it. The HD Mirror cam connects via a long wire to the cigarette lighter to charge the camera battery. I hard wired my camera by running the wire under the windshield rubber and down to the relay board for power. (Note: If you do this, you must connect leads to the cigarette lighter fitting and not cut the fitting off. The plug-in fitting has an e-board inside it to convert the car's 12v to the right charging power for the HD Mirror.) And now for the best part. It's only $59.95 plus shipping at this website:

https://www.amazon.com/Official-HD-Mirror-C...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Now I have the added protection of constant video without an ugly obvious device on my front window!
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jamespal @ Nov 25 2017, 07:44 PM) *

If You want to buy a dash cam then Rexing V1P Front and Rear Dash Cam will be the best option for you....

I went to their Amazon page. Got a question; how did you mount it in the 914. I have a wink mirror with a vertical surface facing the windshield, would this work as a mounting surface ? I have 3” space available.
oakdalecurtis
After reading of Sir Andy's unfortunate traffic incident here, (glad you're Ok Andy), I thought some of my 914 collegues might be interested in this product. I have always wanted a dash cam for my 914, but did not like the idea of a suction cup device on the windshield that could easily be stolen when my roof is open, which is most of the time. I saw an ad on tv and ordered several of these HD Mirror Cams for my cars. Before I say anything else, you should know that I have no connection to this product in any way, other than as an end user. The HD camera is located under a rear view mirror that straps right over your existing mirror in your car. Other than the small rotatable camera under the new rear view mirror, you can not tell anything is on the car. The HD video starts automatically when you get in the car from motion detection. A small included SDHD card records a ten minute loop of HD video, day or night. There is an HDMI adaptor included to plug the SD card into your computer to view it. The HD Mirror cam connects via a long wire to the cigarette lighter to charge the camera battery. I hard wired my camera by running the wire under the windshield rubber and down to the relay board for power. (Note: If you do this, you must connect leads to the cigarette lighter fitting and not cut the fitting off. The plug-in fitting has an e-board inside it to convert the car's 12v to the right charging power for the HD Mirror.) And now for the best part. It's only $59.95 plus shipping at this website:

https://www.amazon.com/Official-HD-Mirror-C...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Now I have the added protection of constant video without an ugly obvious device on my front!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.