Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear lid spring removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mack914
Trying to remove the rear springs to install the Carbon fiber lids. How do you go about it without hurting someone?

Thanks,
Mack
brant
a cut off tool and a towl around the ends of the torsion bars.

Rand
Check this thread
balljoint
Put a strong cord or cable through the length of the spring and tie down tight to rear trailing arm, so that the spring has nowhere to go. Wrap with towel. Have drunk friend cut or remove spring. Done. smile.gif
tat2dphreak
what if you are just replacing the rollers, and want to save the spring?
mightyohm
To replace the rollers you just have to pry the spring back a couple inches while you slip the old roller off and the new one on. You can use a 3/8" extension slipped onto the end of the spring or a short length of tubing etc. and push down. Be very very very very careful and wear safety goggles and gloves.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 6 2005, 01:41 PM)
To replace the rollers you just have to pry the spring back a couple inches while you slip the old roller off and the new one on. You can use a 3/8" extension slipped onto the end of the spring or a short length of tubing etc. and push down. Be very very very very careful and wear safety goggles and gloves.

that's what I thought... why does everyone hate the springs? they work gud... dangerous to change though... but rarely need changing...
CptTripps
If you are installinig a CF lid, you need to take them out. There is too much pressure in the tortion bars...it'll split the rear lid in half.

I wrapped mine in 4 old blankets, and left a gap of about 3" in the center. Hit that gap with a cut-off wheel...girp your butt-cheaks and pray. Another way would be to use a bunch of zip-ties, then ease them up after cutting...I haven't tried that yet though...just thought of it in fact. smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 6 2005, 11:10 AM)
what if you are just replacing the rollers, and want to save the spring?

do a search with "tool" added in...there are a few different methods, one of them is using a modified adjustable wrench, the other one is special tool that you have to make (or borrow)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.