Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Establishing proper resale value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Topper62
Hello from kent co. Maryland.
Dad is now 85, and is ready to part with his car. I am a motorcycle fanatic and have my hands full doing 1930's Harley restorations.

I listed his 914 in the classifides of this forum, but after trying to give accurate descriptions of very specific details, I realize I need to enlist someone with real experience to help me properly represent this car for sale and establish its value.

So, is there anyone near my area who is willing to give it a once over and come up with the answers we need?

Thanks
Steve and his Father in Kent co. MD.
JOEPROPER
Steve,

If you're a motorcycle tech, then you have the ability to look at this car yourself. Look at the usually suspected areas which are under the rocker covers, battery tray area, rear of rear trunk, jack points etc. Generally look for rust all over the car. Rust is the enemy! Get it to run and idle and you may have something there. Looks great in the pictures so don't give it away! Good Luck! smoke.gif
Front yard mechanic
Your car will sell quick just look at the piece of stromberg.gif that only needs the front clip tacked on good luck btw early Harley's rock aktion035.gif
Coondog
More pictures always help. If everything else is as good as the outside then your asking a fair price.
era vulgaris
Steve, this is Dustin, I sent you a couple emails.

From your ad, I was initially under the impression that this was a clean rust-free non-runner (which is what I'd be interested in). In which case, I think you're in the ballpark for an asking price. If you can get it reliably running with brakes that work, all mechanicals and electrical working, then honestly you should be asking up in the teens if there's no other issues.

But pictures are really going to tell the value. You need to spend an hour photographing every inch of the car, and loading the photos into an online folder (like one drive, photo bucket, etc). That'll give people who aren't near you the confidence to pay a higher asking price if the car really is in rust free and great condition.
cgnj
I like to look at cars. Where in kent county? Pm me and maybe wwe can schedule something.
Or contact Jim kelly. He is in delmarva

Carlos
r_towle
I did not look at the ad but I typically end up with 25-35 pictures, plenty of lighting, to show all the bad spots....those are more interesting than the good spots.
boxsterfan
Everyone wants these pictures at a minimum:

1. High quality shot of the hell hole (not some partially obstructed, poorly lit picture).
2. High quality shot of the passenger long at the jack point (see #1....even better if you remove the rocker panels).

2a. High quality shot of the driver long at the jack point (see #2).

3. Front trunk bare floor
4. Rear trunk bare floor
5. Engine bay (with bare firewall).
6. Interior
7. Sail panels (both sides)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.