Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rim width and handling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9146R
Anyone familiar with how rim widths affect handling (let's say autox for discussion purposes) ? Let's assume in both cases we are running a 205x50x15 tire all around.

Will a 7" width all around be much different/better at turn-in, cornering, braking versus going with a 6" width? Or is tire selection the key variable (construction, type of rubber compound, tread pattern). I know everyone has their fav tire - I am more interested in learning about the dynamics between rim width and handling than what tire you like. idea.gif

Thanks.

Mueller
when I was looking at new tires for my 7" wide rims, the 205 width tire was recommended over a 225 due to the near perfect fit of a 205 on a 7" wide rim.....the 225 would be too wide for optimal handling...so if you take into account the ratios...a 6" wide rim is 1" too narrow for 205 tire for optimal fit.

nebreitling
i don't know about 6" vs 7" per se, it might be negligible...

i will say that 6" is probably a good minimum width for properly mounting 205's, though... anything less, and you are simply not getting all the tire on the ground....

i was running 195/50's on 5.5" riv's, then mounted them on my 6.5" custom wheels... i was really surprised with the difference; everything felt much more stable and precise, and the tires' limit came more predictably.

now i'm running 205/50 hoosier's on those 6.5" rims. very nice seating of the tire. versus the same tire on 5.5's, which cups the sidewalls dramatically. my 02
914werke
Any Riv Ive ever see was only 5.0" wacko.gif
SirAndy
altough in the real world, it's not quite that easy, but it pretty much comes down to:

wider track = better handling

cool.gif Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 6 2005, 01:27 PM)
altough in the real world, it's not quite that easy, but it pretty much comes down to:

wider track = better handling

cool.gif Andy

I know I've seen the numbers posted someplace, but it was claimed (and backed up on the track), that for a particular car (911 I think), the widening of the track 1 to 2 inches was comparable to a 100 hp increase in power...for that car and that track

J P Stein
I have run 205s on both 6s & 7s....but not the same tire nor under the same circumstances. The 7s will give you a more verticle sidewall & thus less roll over.....turn-in and ultimate grip *should* be superior. Turn-in for my car was better with 205 on 7s than 225s on the 7s, but you'd prolly never notice it on the street.....never really liked my 225/7 set-up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.