Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Owners! Our first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrinkMan
After looking informally for a while and then detailed searching, a couple of months ago my wife and I decided to purchase a 914.

I posted here on 914world with the intent of either a) getting expert opinions on cars I was considering or b) finding someone who was willing to sell their car to the right person (me).

Plan b (which is always my real plan A) succeeded and one of the members offered his car to me. And then another member loaned his expertise to me and performed a PPI.

So, public thanks to Cuddyk (former caretaker of our car) and Rmital (guru who examined it for us).

As the next caretakers, I decided that we rescued the car from an environment not suitable for it. The pictures I received of the loading into the truck showed snow on the ground and overall miserable weather conspiring to rust away cars. Luckily, it arrived to 80 degrees and sunny weather to match its sunny color.

Today it arrived:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I got a chance to drive it around a little (up and down the street a dozen times) and run it through the gears. My neighbors are used to our toys (actually they find it fun because we let some of them drive them to car shows when we want to take more than 2) so they tolerate my occasional test drives up and down the street at different speeds and gears repeatably.

With the Raby 2056 engine, it pulled strong. A few pops under deceleration that I think can be fixed with an Italian Tune Up or else a slight tune for our higher altitude. Cornering felt great. Not quite up to our Lotus standards but for a 44 year old car, it was pretty special. The condition is great. It needs some slight attention that we expected (thanks to the PPI) but they are just enough projects to make it fun and a learning experience. Nothing critical that needs attention in the next year (unless we want to do it).

Enough of my long winded introduction as a genuine owner (actually Caretaker). I've put the car to bed for the night. Tomorrow may be a busy day for it.
IPB Image
IPB Image
ConeDodger
Holy shizit that looks nice! Congrats! aktion035.gif
jcd914
I do love Yellow 914s. smile.gif

welcome.png

Jim
Larmo63
welcome.png

The car looks fantastic!!!!!
Coondog
Nice collection. You my friend are one of the smart ones.......meaning buying a 914 that is in Xlint cond.
Blue6
Nice car to start with.... welcome.png
steuspeed
Great looking car! Congrats! Looks like 73 2.0? Of course you have a nice Raby upgrade. If I knew these cars were this much fun, I would have bought one as soon as possible. Had mine 5 years. Alfa owner too here. driving.gif
Big Len
Best of luck.....beautiful.
sb914
welcome.png
dcheek
First of all, welcome to the club. Second, thanks for sharing the story on the correct way to buy a collector car. Usually there is a horror story about how you ended up with a piece of junk. The fact that you bought the car from an enthusiast and had PPI done will almost guarantee a pleasant ownership experience. Congratulations and good luck with your "new" purchase.

Dave
Cairo94507
welcome.png Great looking car. That looks like a TR-6 sitting next to it? beerchug.gif
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Car looks great. Glad you are already enjoying it.
PanelBilly
Nice car. Keep up the reports
Tom_T
QUOTE(DrinkMan @ Mar 29 2017, 08:22 PM) *

After looking informally for a while ...

Today it arrived:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

My neighbors are used to our toys (actually they find it fun because we let some of them drive them to car shows when we want to take more than 2) so they tolerate my occasional test drives up and down the street at different speeds and gears repeatably.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Well then - formally welcome.png

Ummmm idea.gif
..... shouldn't you have added the 914 to your signature list by now!!?? confused24.gif

Really nice collection too, as I'd commented when you were looking for the 914!

Nice to see the TR6 & glass-over-headlights early Alfa in the pic too! drooley.gif

So now you'll need to do some pic posts when you get the neighbors to help driving them all/some out to a few shows this season!
popcorn[1].gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
iankarr
Congrats! That 914 is gorgeous. Of course, I may be a teeny (teener?) bit biased. I'm so happy that you and your wife are the next caretakers. I hope it brings you much joy!
whitetwinturbo
...............nice collection and I like the yellow one the best aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.