Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gemo or Terry clutch cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtndawg
I"m looking at the bird site and the Gemo is rated higher, but I've heard and read that Terry is a better brand. What do you recommend?
Dion
I've used both. No issues really. Terry cable seems more stoudt.
IMHO.
TM_Corey
TerryCable

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...13&hl=cable
76-914
+1 for Terry cable.
ljubodraz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 30 2017, 05:41 PM) *

+1 for Terry cable.

IMHO, The Terry cable is thicker but also appears as though it would be more abrasive on the plastic sheath and later the clutch tube once it wears through. Terry seams like overkill. Our clutch cable tubes are the weak link in the chain anyway. confused24.gif
rgalla9146
Never owned or even seen a Terry and never had a cable failure.

mgphoto
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Mar 30 2017, 01:14 PM) *

I"m looking at the bird site and the Gemo is rated higher, but I've heard and read that Terry is a better brand. What do you recommend?

Without a doubt Terry cable.

300K + on my car, wouldn't be caught without a spare.

Germo snaps all at once, single strands of wire woven into cable.

Terry strands snap but keeps functioning, multiple strands woven into a larger strand, sort of like suspension bridge cables.

Cables snap at the high point on the pulley, maximum bend and maximum wear.

ps: the clutch tube is not the weakest link, it is the mechanic who doesn't know the correct procedure to adjust the cable.

Mike
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 30 2017, 09:11 PM) *

Without a doubt Terry cable.

300K + on my car, wouldn't be caught without a spare.

Germo snaps all at once, single strands of wire woven into cable.

Terry strands snap but keeps functioning, multiple strands woven into a larger strand, sort of like suspension bridge cables.

Cables snap at the high point on the pulley, maximum bend and maximum wear.

ps: the clutch tube is not the weakest link, it is the mechanic who doesn't know the correct procedure to adjust the cable.

Mike

I absolutely agree about the mechanic.
My car and most of the cars I've worked on had stock OE clutches.
The sixes I've owned and serviced had OE '6' cables.
When properly adjusted.... with good pedals, clutch tube, TOB ,fork, etc.etc, no
problems.
I've seen some pretty goofy makeshift arrangements.
ljubodraz
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 30 2017, 08:11 PM) *

......ps: the clutch tube is not the weakest link, it is the mechanic who doesn't know the correct procedure to adjust the cable.

Mike.

Not interested in a pissing match but the same could be said about someone whose cable has snapped. My previous Gemo had three strands snap, it didn't all snap at once. You're right, our teeners never have clutch tube problems. pray.gif

Sarcasm aside, I agree that a badly adjusted cable can over-stress both the tube and cable. My understanding is that most cables break at the pulley due to repeated flexing. Could be that the Terry cable holds up better here. I would think more strands would make flexing more difficult. I don't know.
914Sixer
A lot of clutch cable failures result in them becoming the path to ground. The ground strap on the transmission fails and the ground then becomes the clutch cable.
pete000
I have the Terry cable and seems really smooth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.