Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another oil tank option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
So I posted a while ago about how I bought 1 of the cast oil tanks that effron was selling on eBay. Paid 225 shipped.. Spent a little time today on it.. Was really just using the tank for my drawings for laser cutting of my much lighter weight fabricated tanks..

So I was in class teaching a TIG class today and my students assignment was to weld on cast aluminum. Brought in the tank as I plan to just use it on my engine test stand now as all the drawings are done so weld quality was not of the utmost importance.. He did fairly well and I worked with him on some fab techniques..

Now a disclaimer no I don't have them work on my products I sell as I have 2 guys that work for me ..the students work on real world welding and fab projects so they are not so green when they hit the workforce they can't weld/fab out of a wet paperbag.. Thought you would enjoy.Click to view attachment
porschetub
Wow didn't realize how thick the alloy tanks are,they must be fairly heavy?
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 31 2017, 11:44 AM) *

Wow didn't realize how thick the alloy tanks are,they must be fairly heavy?

I will have to weigh it up but I would say it's at the very least twice as heavy as the tanks I fabricate..
mb911
Click to view attachment

Here it is completed..welded Ok but the things is heavy
GeorgeRud
As I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe, I love the fact that you're teaching students a valuable skill. As shop programs are disappearing around the country, it's important to continue with such education.

I assume the cast tank is an old, unfinished Vellios tank. He was an interesting fellow that made a lot of interesting parts back in the day.
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 6 2017, 06:30 AM) *

As I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe, I love the fact that you're teaching students a valuable skill. As shop programs are disappearing around the country, it's important to continue with such education.

I assume the cast tank is an old, unfinished Vellios tank. He was an interesting fellow that made a lot of interesting parts back in the day.

Yes you are correct.. This one will be destined for my test stand..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.