Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safe engine lifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
This seems to be the easiest but is it a safe way to lift this engine...ThanksClick to view attachment
flmont
Meaning I don't want to damage a crank seal or something and create a leak..??
HansJan
DO NOT LIFT THIS WAY.

I do not know anything about the stress on bolts or seals. Surely others will chime in on that. However the slings can easily slip front to back. For example; If the engine is heavier then the transmission side, it will tilt forward (at which time the slings will slip through the hook) and nosedive to the floor. If your leg is in its path, it could get damaged. Better to use four seperate short slings.
Bartlett 914
I think you are fine. I worry a little about the front sling slipping off. Just make sure it doesn't. Make sure the belt is on the pulley square and nothing is pulling it away. As you lift, you will see the level. Adjust the center point so it lifts level. I think this is better than lifting on the intake manifold. Just don't get under it!
cwpeden
I agree with Hans. Using one poly sling is a bad idea, especially one meant for hold-down. They don't have the same ratings as a lifting sling.

The engine has lifting points, you should use them and get a load leveler for your hoist so you can lift from two points.

Use chain or get proper lifting slings they are only a few dollars at HF or even Home depot.

I've had to lift a few things....but they were a little bigger.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Don't do it. It's one thing to lift, but what are you going to do with it when it's in the air. I wouldn't want to be maneuvering that load in that configuration. Too many things to go wrong once you're committed.
flmont
..I need to lift about 3 ft high;''I dont want any kind of crank or pully damage,.I seen the 1 lift bracket (on altanator) but not the other one ,.I shall rethink it...Thanks
mgp4591
For how long and for what purpose? Also, you could move the rear loop to the trans/bellhousing point to keep your load more centered on the strap - just test it for balance before keeping it there for a length of time. Be careful of the whole thing wanting to rotate on that axis too...
Coondog
If you need any help, call this guy.
Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
Last Thursday I lifted my engine and trans to place it on a 3' high table with wheels to facilitate insertion into the engine bay. I mounted the engine mount yoke on the front of the engine, torqued it properly and used two sets of slings with hooks to secure it to the arm of my lift. The tranny portion was simply two sets of slings (HFT also) under the tranny housing under the alternator so as not to put pressure on the alt. bolts in the case. Note the redundant straps / - always a good idea in case the Chinese want to slip you a fast one... sheeplove.gif
flmont
MGP4591 ,I need it off the skid,..then moved 25 ft ,...So I can slide it under my car ,.so on the back of my pick-up.

Forrestkhaag,..I shall reset the strapps,..

Coondog,..I feel like that guy at times,..LOL

Thanks...!!!
Spoke
Put it on a Harbor Freight dolly to move it.
cwpeden
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 1 2017, 08:28 AM) *

Last Thursday I lifted my engine and trans to place it on a 3' high table with wheels to facilitate insertion into the engine bay. I mounted the engine mount yoke on the front of the engine, torqued it properly and used two sets of slings with hooks to secure it to the arm of my lift. The tranny portion was simply two sets of slings (HFT also) under the tranny housing under the alternator so as not to put pressure on the alt. bolts in the case. Note the redundant straps / - always a good idea in case the Chinese want to slip you a fast one... sheeplove.gif

Again, these are hold down straps. Not meant for lifting and not rated so. This set up could be replaced for $20 at HomeDepot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-1-in-x-6...02604/205492378
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in...43124/205887797

These 2 items should be in your shop if you want to lift. Believe it or not a single ply one inch flat lifting sling could lift your whole car. Would you do that with a 4 for $5 pack of ratchet straps?

I'm willing to wager you have more than $20 invested that engine and trans?
flmont
Yea,..I decided to get the correct parts to lift I dont want a issue for being in a hurry. !!! Thanks
cwpeden
You've seen how excited we get about ratchet style jackstands....LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.