Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warm air guides
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
I finally replaced the shifter bushings under the car and noticed the PO left out the two warm air guides. I discovered I had 3 of them in my parts stash so I cleaned them up, painted them, and attempted to put them on. One fits. The other doesn't.

Apparently there are two that fit the drivers side; one for 70-72 that goes under the shifter bar, and one for 73+ that goes above the shifter bar (I think I got that right). I've tried both. The early style that fits below the shifter bar rubs at the front, the later style that fits above the shifter bar (as in the photo below) rubs at the rear when I try to get 3rd and 5th gear.

Help!! I can't figure out why? Everything appears to be straight and fits perfectly. Anyone else have problems with the warm air guides fitting funny?
Cap'n Krusty
The shift rod's bent, or the motor/tranny mounts are bad........ The Cap'n
Marlow
I just replaced the tranny mounts, the engine mounts appear to be OK. I'll double-check them. I think I've got a spare shifter rod so I'll have to compare those too -- althought the shifter bar doesn't appear to have ever been hit.

Initially I thought it was the new tranny mounts (911 sport mounts). The sport mounts are about 1/8" shorter in height than the stock mounts so I shimmed them with an 1/8" spacer. Didn't help.

I'll check the shifter rod.

Thanks!
Joe Ricard
Un shim the mounts You want the transaxle higher which will give you more clearance for the rod. Also the rubber motor mounts may have sagged a little. 30 + years will do that. rolleyes.gif
McMark
Maybe the tin is bent?
Marlow
I rechecked everything. Shift rod seems ok. Warm air guide is very straight and mounts perfectly. Motor mounts look fine. Tranny mounts are now the same height as the old mounts. So I decide to pull the shift rod back out and check it over.

Here's what I find.
Marlow
BIG ass dent in the rod. I climb in the attic in search of my spare. Here's a comparison. Notice the shadow on the spare shift rod compared the current one.
Marlow
The tranny end of the spare bar has lots of pits and surface rust where it passes through the bushing, so I can't use it. I managed to straighten the old bar to match the spare almost perfectly. smash.gif It's too late to test fit (2am) so I'll check it tomorrow.

The PO brazed the end to the bar instead of welding it. I found a hairline crack in the brazing after beating the bar into submission. I ground all the brazing off but will have to wait until tomorrow to break out the welder and give it a few more tacks. I think I'll give it a fresh coat of paint too.

Thank you Cap'n Krusty and everybody for their suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.