Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT I'm so Happy...Cheap paint jobs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
The boy was offered a apprentiship where he works today.

He has been working at a body shop after school and on weekends for the last year and a half. Doing general clean up and prep work. His auto shop teacher recommended him when the owner came looking for someone to help out. About 6 months ago the owner gave him a set of keys to the building. He's finished school in another month and had no idea what he wanted to do. He can get credit for the hours he worked so far towards his apprentiship program and will be sponsored to go to community collage to get his papers.

Daddy gets paint jobs at cost..... boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif beerchug.gif
MecGen
Hey Congrats smilie_pokal.gif
Now you just need to buy the tool$$$$$
Look around your area for the pay scales in Paint, Body, and Frame. Here...and we have similar pay scales (below the rest of Canada), and a "hot" painter is getting 25-30 hour, not bad for a licenced 22 year old (How old is your boy?).
At the tech schools...they are reporting 30% less in student count from the year before, and estimating they same for the next year. Support your blood because if this trend stays, and he tuffs it out, he will have a very good living.
I am a supporter (as a garage owner) of protecting my health #1 and the health of my employees #2, since I work next to them...
We have made changes in the industry, for health reasons, altho it is not perfect, it is 100000times better then when I started.
I am a firm beleaver in very good pay for very good hard work, something that seems to be missed in the new generation, the PC generation. Hard work is a good thing for teens or adults. After my "mid life crisis" ends, its in my plans to use troubled teens to turn wrench....thats another story...
I got my first car when I was 14 screwy.gif 67 Olds 442, it was a shell, by then I had shown an interest in hotrods, so my Pops bought it. Many years later I asked him "what the fuck were you thinking buying a 14 year old a car" he said he would rather I spend my money and weekend in his driveway, then taking dope in the streets...I worked on that car for 2 years, and by the time it ended (unfinished of course), I had made my choices...
My point being... something about cars/dads/boys/kids, good mix, if you support him, which I see you do, its a win-win situation. Think about buying a shell, ask for help with the body, I can't explane the memories I have with my Dad (who knows nothing about cars) holding a torch while I try to "braze" a 1/4 panel biggrin.gif
Sorry about the personal rant but I am a pushover for Pop and Son stuff. Just the fact you posted this, puts you way high on my DAD scale.
Last word of advice...Tell your son to look into Air Bag courses. 99% of my air bag work is from body shops, 90% is just to scann and clear. Air bag scan tool is about 2000$, but after when he is licenced.... smilie_pokal.gif
Thanx for the time, maybe he will paint my next mid life crisis.
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
GWN7
Joe,

Thanks for the kind words.

My son is 18. He already has quite a few tools. His uncle (my ex-bro-in-law) is a body man and when he had his own shop. I used to do some work on my own stuff there. So some of my tools have migrated from my tool box to my sons. biggrin.gif The only problem I have with that is he locks his box up (I told him next time I can't find something, I'm drilling his boxes lock). wink.gif

You can never have too many tools. wink.gif

He's had his own car since he was 15. I gave him the 70 914 when I bought the 74 He claimed the 924 that I bought to do a V8 conversion (not knowning that it was the wrong one to buy) and has 3 other cars right now too.

He learned to weld when he bought a Mazda last fall and it needed rust repair to pass the safety. Now he complains that the welder at school is much nicer than mine. laugh.gif

I need one of those bumper stickers.... " My Son is a Honor Gearhead" biggrin.gif
MecGen
I say no more biggrin.gif
You have it made smilie_pokal.gif
See Ya
Joe

beerchug.gif
nebreitling
way to go bruce! congrats on your son!

hey everyone: cheap paint jobs in canada!
Verruckt
I wish I had half the dad as you are. You sound like a helluva guy. Keep it up. Sounds like you raised a good kid. wink.gif
Gint
Right on Bruce! smash.gif welder.gif We need a spray gun smiley

Now where's that Mapquest link...
MattR
Can we get a group buy?
DJsRepS
My 18 yr old was offered my mechanicaly restored 914 just to go to Job Core for 12 months and if he made it for another year I would restore the body and paint and interror. He made it 8 months and another kid from Fla talked him into running off 4 months before recieving my 914. Since then he has been awarded in 3 states oops I mean a ward in 3 states and currently being awarded with 3 sqrares in the state of Gorgia at the age of 24 (he gets out this month form his 45day vacation). He is mad I didnt give him the car for 8 months there and he didnt even get his GED. If he would have even done the GED thing in 6 months the car would be his.
Im Always glad to hear of someone like your son doing so well. You have alot to be happy about there. Does he paint 914's yet mine sure needs a face lift.
MecGen
Hey DJ
As we speak I have a "fresh" 95 Mazda MX6, body, paint, and motor new. This was a 6 month project for my 18 year old niece and goddaughter, in exchange for a GED. Its up for sale mad.gif
She is blonde and pretty, the car has all options including mags with tires, wing, its perfect for her. I thought it was a good exchange, maybe for an 18 year old its not screwy.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif

Pnambic
First you guys get cheap prescriptions, now you get cheap paint, you guys have all the luck, eh?
I hope I can keep my boys stright. smile.gif I am SO looking forward to getting them turning wrenches with me.
rick 918-S
Great news Bruce. smilie_pokal.gif The hard work and the love is paying in spades. Good for him. clap.gif Maybe he can join us for the WCC "06" aktion035.gif driving.gif

DJ and Joe, Hang in there love is sometimes tough. An old wise friend of mine once said, You can't tell someone something their not ready to hear. But that doesn't mean we should stop talking. All we can do is expend our hand. If our children and the young people we care about choose to hear what we say and follow in our example that's their choice. Because they fall short and fail doesn't mean we should lower the bar. It just means they need someone to remind them of what they learned the first go-a-round. This sometimes make the second attempt easier. Be there for them But don't do for them.

Joe, We had a great conversation over the weekend at the WCC, I know you live and breath this, good for you. pray.gif You humble me.

DJ man, Continue to be there for your boy. Choke it out and tell him you love him. It's not maco I know but it will feel better than a cold hard glare. If he's still inside go see him. Find some counseling and help him plan a victorious come back. Be there for him and don't lower the bar. Sometimes kids just need one more chance.

People are not disposable. Feed their dreams.

Bruce, Didn't mean to steal your thunder. Sometimes I get on a soap box with fresh batteries in the mic. wavey.gif
Gint
My .02

DJ and Joe,

All you can do is your best.

I WAS your kid(s). Some kids have to take a different path. Some kids have to learn on their own, whether it be the hard way or not. Contrary to popular belief (shut up Z) I turned out OK. I'm betting these kids will too... eventually.
redshift
WOOHOO! SUPERCOOL!

With the exchange rate, the US club doods can get paint jobs for 82.4% of cost!

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.