Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 #41 -Let's Rock E, well 41 is done and delivered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
burton73
Eric @ PMB was kind enough to pick up my primo fresh 3.0 with 3.2 heads with custom cam with 46 PMO’s blueprinted and balanced to race tolerances from Scott Kinder at Kindersport in Oakland, CA area.
The engine should be good for 240HP matted to a 901 Transmission Rebuilt 2000 Miles ago by Performance Haus in 1980 with hand polished close ratio 906 gears Late model "side shift" linkage, Adjustable 19mm front sway bar with Teflon bushings, Bilstein Carrera RS front struts, Bilstein rear shocks, Modified front early 911S brakes and PMB vented 914-6 rears. Done by the Maestro Eric himself. Lots of more goodies on the car first reworked in the 70’s. It was a project car of a guy that worked at a OC local Porsche speed shop. This has always been a California car. It has never seen salt and has no rust. This car has been at PMB for a couple of years waiting for the Engine. Number 41 is from what we know to be the 30th. 914-6 in production. I am sure I will hear something from someone that knows more. This car has not been on the road in CA since the early 80s when it would not pass smog. It had a 69S engine when I bought it.

The 911 engine is really a thing of ART, well all Porsche/VW parts when clean and polished /painted are art. The cam timing is critical. Scott sent me several pictures from the build. Eric’s work at PMB is also a work of art.
More to come!

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cracker
A real beauty Bob...congrats!

Tony
burton73
Some of the guys have asked what is in this Engine. Scott Kinder built it for me and this is what it has inside.

1978 3.0 SC big-port base (case, crank, rods, oil pump)
Custom JE Pistons, replated Nikasil cylinders, 9.8:1
New valves, 38/37 ports (stock)
ARP head studs & rod bolts
GE40 "Mod-S" cams
PMO 46 carbs & manifolds
JWE custom curve on SC distributor to match the carbs/cams
930 tensioners, idler arms--all rebuilt
Otherwise just everything new or refinished, redone, rebuilt

Best
Scott
Eric_Shea
Click to view attachment
Let the body work begin...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Doors braced. Removing (yes, removing) the long kit.

Click to view attachment
Factory chassis stiffening kit

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mount for suspension ear brace...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Factory engine mount stiffening modification.

Click to view attachment
-6 mount for oil line from the tank to the engine.
Eric_Shea
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Pan shot with Wurth then properly over-sprayed with body color.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rear trunk details.

Click to view attachment
Engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Body in paint.

flyer86d
Very nice, Bob! But I think that engine is going to be stronger than 240 HP. It'll be really nice.

Charlie
bigkensteele
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Apr 5 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Very nice, Bob! But I think that engine is going to be stronger than 240 HP. It'll be really nice.

Charlie

agree.gif I was thinking the same when I read the specs. Are you planning on going with one inch exhaust? confused24.gif
burton73
Scott (the engine builder) was up in the San Francisco and the dyno guy was in San Diego and well, we where getting impatient with the long wait so Eric said lets just get it back to my shop and we will finish the tune and the first breaking in at PMB.

We will get it on a dyno when it is done. We will let you know. The build of #41 will be a little out of order as I did a lot of work on her way before Eric picked her up to take her back to PMB for the full show quality paint job and restoration. Some of the back-story I posted on my 914World VIN info but I will put what info was in the ad when I bought #41 in December of 2007. It was on EBay and I was on a Disney Cruz and using the on board Internet to bid. I think it was $15,000.

Bob Burton

This is the info from the Ebay ad from the PO when I got the car, Dec.27th 2006
As I said this was a real 914-6 Porsche/VW hot rod built in the 70’s with some of the best stuff they could find at there shop.

This is a great project car for the right person. I bought it in 1980, and stopped driving it when it couldn't pass smog. It last ran in 1990 and has been stored under cover in my garage since 1990. Before I owned it, it was a project car of a guy that worked at a local Porsche speed shop. This has always been a California car. It has never seen salt and has no rust. Engine 2.5 L 20k Miles Aluminum case 2.2. Rods EMPI, 88 mm pistons and cylinders, Ported heads and manifolds 40 IDS Weber Carbs, CD ignition, 911S Distributor 67 911S Cams Front 914/6-GT oil cooler with GT ducting, Aeroquip Stainless Steel Lines and oil thermostat, Sport Muffler, Transmission Rebuilt 2000 Miles ago by Performance Haus, 911S copper faced clutch, Hand polished close ratio 906 gears Late model "side shift" linkage, Suspension Adjustable 19mm front sway bar with Teflon bushings, Bilstein Carrera RS front struts, adjustable perches, Bilstein rear shocks, Modified front 911S calibers with cross-drilled "S" rotors Five 15x7" BBS modular rims Magnesium centers Titanium lug nuts, 12mm torsion bars. Body
Body seams bead welded Fuel filler moved to cowl. Aircraft style cover Side markers removed European front turn assemblies, French tail light lenses Factory Convex RH mirror
Quartz Iodide headlights European 911S gages including oil level
LeCarrera steering wheel Scheel 914 seat.-------
I have had many questions about the fuel filler area. Peter Dawe of Dawe's Motorsports helped build this car at Dick Troutmans's in the late 70s. I asked Petr how this was done, below is his answer.

Hi Lloyd From what i can remember the hinge and the flush mount latch was aircraft surplus. I believe all those parts are offered thru Aircraft Spruce Co. Peter welded a shaped piece of steel under the body cowl for the gas door to sit on. He also welded a fill pipe on to the gas tank. (Only for pros to weld) Then because of the pipe bends he had to put a vent from the original fill to the neck so the tank could be filled up to the top. All this was 20 years ago but I think that’s about it. But you have to be as talented as Peter to do it right. That’s the TRICK. Thanks and happy holidays Petr Dawe
Click to view attachment
burton73
Please note that #41 was put in the garage of PO after it would not pass smog in Dec of 1985. It sat till I bought it 25 or so years later. Picture of plates for 41 plus the picture of Scheel Sport seat that I cleaned up today. My ass is too big for the Scheel.

Eric said eat salads. I eat them every day.

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Cool car. Thanks for the pics and the back story.
brant
beautiful!!

mb911
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 5 2017, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Apr 5 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Charlie

agree.gif I was thinking the same when I read the specs. Are you planning on going with one inch exhaust? confused24.gif

Hopefully some my 1-5/8 heat exchangers biggrin.gif. That will ensure it can breathe
sb914
Wow!----- I'd be afraid to drive that beauty!
Stunning! Looks like Andys twin!
Bob,
Really Cool..Nice story.. Cant wait to see it in neighborhood..
Alan
Socalandy
Yellow Gumball smilie_pokal.gif
burton73
I have the factory heat exchangers that where on the car and they are in pretty good shape. I sold the 10/69-date muffler that was on the car on ebay for $300. The PMP
Maestro E, will tune in on this input.

Bob
Chris H.
Good GAWD that paint is tasty looking drooley.gif .
TravisNeff
Nice work!
mb911
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 6 2017, 07:45 AM) *

I have the factory heat exchangers that where on the car and they are in pretty good shape. I sold the 10/69-date muffler that was on the car on ebay for $300. The PMP

Bob

Bob

The stock heat exchangers will most likely be your choke point on this but will maintain great low end TQ.
burton73
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 6 2017, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 6 2017, 07:45 AM) *

Bob

Bob

The stock heat exchangers will most likely be your choke point on this but will maintain great low end TQ.

I am still trying how to figure my build in order because we have only shown #41 from the point when Eric picked her up. I am going to address the before and after in a way I think I can, I will also sent E all of my pictures that I took before PMB took over. I had done a lot of work on my car. Some not so great but we spent a shit load of time scraping and wire wheeling off all the crap from the body. Removed the paint with paint remover repainted some of the suspension. My 80gal. real 5 hp compressor from a body shop helped with the air tools and the fact that I had a body shop next door to my plastics factory. I have over 100 shots before Eric got her.

A couple of shots of heat exchangers and muffler when I got the car.
burton73
Some shots of front early S calipers, rear Brillstein, front strut, oil cooler on the front of car. Remember this was a 69s engine in a Hot Rod-VW. Built in the 70s.

Bob
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
burton73
Click to view attachment
Oil cooler from inside with cover removed
Cracker
Who's going to rebuild the calipers???

T
burton73
The body shop next door with the cooler removed. Sergio next door. Cool guy that looked like Mario the plumber.
Click to view attachment
burton73
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 6 2017, 01:58 PM) *

Who's going to rebuild the calipers???

T

PMB did them several years ago. He had a thread on them. Vented rears from E's set up.

Bob
burton73
Some cool stuff or what I think is cool stuff: The owner’s book says it had its engine rebuilt at 64,828 miles.
The speedometer now says 110,000 or so. It has been so long scene I have looked at it.
#41 delivered on 1-4-70 to Dick Barbour Porsche. Engine number 640-4016 long gone.
The book was validated by Porsche Audi Pacific in Culver City CA not 1 mile from where I live now and 3 miles from where I grew up. I live 1,000 Ft from where Howard Hughes built the Spruce Goose. My house was built on land that Hughes Aircraft owned on the bluffs above the old Hughes Aircraft. Today that is called Silicone Beach and Playa Vista

Tool kit was in the car as well as factory jack. I had to buy copy red screwdrivers but what the hell. I have a Hot Rod VW. Waite till you see the NOS radio that I bought. 41 had a 80s loud radio with huge amp put in. I deiced to leave 41 in the spirit of the late 70s and not put her back to what a 914-6 was from the factory. I had to thing on it hard and a number of guys here back when it was up for sale, posted that it was a solid car but did not have the original Eng. and trans and it had the oil cooler and the trick body cowl door for fueling and it would never bring the big bucks.

Well I have really not wanted to sell her and build in this form is what I am doing. With some help from my friends.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
Lets go to the front and the Fuel Door on the cowl. The PO was pissed because he had opened the front hood when the fuel door was open and it had bent it. No can do. His lesson that I have to remember. I bent it back somewhat and E’s body shop fixed it up. The early bodywork was done at Dick Troutmans’s in the 70’s Peter Dawe of Dawe’s Motorsport helped build this car an told the PO how he did this welding.

So I bought the car and when Lloyd delivered it to me at my Plastic Shop, he did not know how to open the front hood because the cable broke or something and I said, I knew of a great bunch of 914 guys that may answer it for us. I posted on this board and someone came back with an answer in less that one minute. Guys are still answering me and helping out. Posted pictures of before and after on the finishing of the body in that area.

Bob Burton

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
Before we go to far with the assembly, I have more pictures of each part that was in the “as received from a long sleep”. After these are cleaned and restored and Eric put his new Copper lines instead of the braded stainless in the rockers and we will see more of “the art of the build”. Not deal

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=599
739]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
I am getting the hang of this
burton73
I got a Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereo for my 6 that was a factory rebuilt a very long time ago. Paid something like $350. In 2008 on eBay

Bob
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Renaud914
Good job !
Very nice restoration
Cairo94507
Nice Blaupunkt! beerchug.gif
larryM
thanks for all the detail pictures !
burton73
Eric at PMB Performance will post more pictures as the rebuild continues. Ever part of this car is restored. I was very lucky that the body was in such great shape. It sat in the PO garage from 1986 on till 2007 then it has been shops. No rust on the battery tray. Very lucky on this car.

Bob B
burton73
Work goes on with 41. Trans rebuilt. Lower gears from the 70s hot rod days. Suspension is yet to be detailed. Engine and trans are going in,

I will post, as this is moving along. PMB has a few cars in the shop. E sent me pictures of the restored Euro turn style buckets with 2 blubs and horn restore but I cannot find them now.

Bob B
burton73
PMB put the stacks on my PMOs. The PO had non 914-6 air cleaner on it and I am going with the same set up. Will show more. Also the trans after PMB re freshened it. I got a NOS case from AA 9 years ago and it looked great in its Porsche box but after PMB inspected it had a cracked bearing seating area so we are trashing (recycling it)
I got it in the first place, as the old Transmission case looked pickled from what I guess was engine cleaner.

This was the info on the transmission. From the PO. “Transmission Rebuilt 2000 Miles ago by Performance Haus, , Hand polished close ratio 906 gears Late model "side shift" linkage” PMB found that it needed more than just new seals and gaskets. You really have to CK out everything on a restoration. Even N.O.S. parts or you can be S.O.L. That 2,000 miles was 30 years ago.

Bob B
Bob,
Looking good..Can't wait to see in our Neighborhood..
burton73
The work continues at PMB Performance. The work and parts are works of art. August 2017 working #41

Bob B

burton73
Sorry for posting on my car out of order but as Eric feeds me pictures I will put them up.
My Wife says that I really do not own a 6 it is just in my dreams. It is a distance from LA to Sandy Utah

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=618
201]
tygaboy
I have big-time bumper envy! wub.gif wub.gif
mb911
agree.gif

Who did it?
burton73
Eric did it or had it done a few years ago.

It is very nice.

Bob B
burton73
Back in the 70s these French’s did not cost too much.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Yep, the French ones used to be the same price as the Euro's. Loving the pictures.
tygaboy
First you give me bumper envy, now it's tail light envy!
This is going to be a beauty... smilie_pokal.gif
burton73
Fuel Door from an aircraft. A 70s touch from early POs One of a kind so I know it is #41 Done really well. Just seemed right to leave it in the sprit that the car as it was modified in the 70’s

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Car has come a long way Bob ...should be finshing up nice in the hands of Eric at PMB ¡ I dig that fuel door set up, the po had some good hot rod techniques there aktion035.gif
Marty
Slowroller
I'm new here and just so overwhelmed with so much great work.
Great job. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.