Full Version: 914-6 #41 -Let's Rock E, well 41 is done and delivered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
914_7T3
Updates?
JamesM
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jan 10 2018, 10:55 PM) *

Updates?

Not going to expose any details as its not my car but sung by the shop yesterday and its on the lift, exterior wrapped in protective plastic like a brand new toy, in the process of receiving an extreme dose of OCD. Addison and Eric were reviewing the condition of the chrome on the window rails when I arrived.

I love seeing this car every time I am over there. So many unique details to the chassis and the condition it is being brought back to is unreal. In 25 years of 914 obsession nothing has tickled me quite like seeing this car.

Not to sound blasphemous but as amazing as Erics personal car is i am starting to think it was just the warm-up act and this may be the new headliner.
Cairo94507
Great. Looking forward to seeing the next round of pictures. Your car is in great hands for sure. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Subscribing.

Fantastic!
burton73
Me too. I bought this car in 2007 for $15,000.

Did a bunch of work to it in the way of parts and body paint removal. Now it is at the master’s hand to get it done.

The car had an Scheel Racing seat and Eric and I are making the final decisions on how to finish the car. We have decided on full Black leather with hound’s-tooth inserts. Instruments from a 69 S are out for rebuilding. I need to take a trip to PMBs shop to see it. What you see is what I get or if someone want to make an up-date that is fine.

The instruments are in a somewhat different order but it was the vision of the POs back in the 70s to build this hotrod version of a 6. We are only changing it a little from that vision. To be clear this is not a stock 6. It will never win a concourse for a stock car but the level of restoration should win. Hey I have the original tool kit, book and service book.

It has all the good stuff. I am focusing on my V8 car and letting E do 41.

O, I decided to run 7 and 8 x15 Fuchs instead of the 8 and 9s x16 that are on the car now.

Bob B

bye1.gif
burton73
Today’s pictures from PMB Performance. Clearing out my garage to get ready!

Note: the guys wrap the car in plastic to keep the paint safe during the work on the body.

I also got a call from www.FuchsRestoration.com Rick that my 7 and 8 15s and spare 6 x 15 are ready. He said 6 weeks but it only took 10 days.
Bringing back my 8s and 9s x 16in that are on there now.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment wub.gif
Bob,
Cant wait to see..
Cairo94507
Great attention to detail. Can't wait for the finished project. beerchug.gif
raynekat
Will be interested in what you think about your Fuchs when you get them back. I had a set of 15x6's done and they were very good, but the black could have been less flat. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get them back. Car is looking fine.
burton73
Today I picked up my wheels 15” 7s, 8s, and one 6” spare for space saver from Rick at http://www.porschewheelservices.com/ To go on number 41. We are getting closer. I have a bunch of progress work pictures to up-load from Eric

Bob B drooley.gif
Click to view attachment
burton73
As I had said before, I do not have my rebuild in a set order as far as the photos go, so please excuse me if there is more than one copy of some shots.

Some points on my car that are different than a GT car is with the Troutman touches in the cowl fuel door and there touch as far as the front Sheet Metal oil cooling shroud and shaped metal goes. Very nice curves up front under the hood. The work is tremendous. That is the way they did it back in the late 70s.
the black shroud is yet to be repainted.

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=636
733]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mtndawg
Ridiculously awesome! 309.gif
jmitro
better than new. That is awesome!!
76-914
I just got up to date with your build. Hadn't kept up since the summer. Impressive would be an understatement. Exceptionally nice would be more fitting. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Just fantastic, absolutely fantastic.
Blue6
Looks like we'll be seeing this beauty rolling around here soon. Nice job guys.. cheer.gif
simonjb
Very Very nice work !!! Looks great.
burton73
Eric moving on closing her up. I am making room in my Garage and increasing my insurance as we have been going along: My wife says I just talk #41 but it really does not exist.

New rubber on all body seals. New Shocks, New, or rebuilt everything. Changing out long lugs to standard lugs and factory BK caps. Had 3 piece BBS wheels that I sold to Jamie 8 years ago. S heads and Cams that I sold to Mark Henrey 7 or 8 years ago. Clutch that went to Mark. (Euro911) last month.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment sunglasses.gif
mepstein
smilie_pokal.gif

I really like seeing these cars get put back on the road.
sixnotfour
Had 3 piece BBS wheels

i have em now ..love em.. beerchug.gif I respect the Troutman touches..unique
burton73
Some pictures of before of jack post side, under shot of oil tank and cooler lines, front drivers side front sway bar and Bilstein strut minus earls S caliper. Wait to see how pretty that turns out from the Maestro’s team.

Picture of linkage carburetors that I misplaced in my bead blasting cabinet. I had not been in it for 5 years and found the parts just in time.

Air box restored by PMB to a level that may look better than new. Special things on 41? I guess some things look a little different. I am so impressed on the level or work on my car.

7 and 8 x 15 Fuchs refinished and in route. 8 and 9 16 Fuchs coming back to me. Great work by PMB and I am very happy with the way it looks. Eric playing a great riff on my car.

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=638
164]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
These plastic parts where early prototypes pieces that had to be restored. Eric has had to do a lot of research as well as use all of his talents to get the 30 six this far. I sound like the Godfather. “Use all your talents”.

Great job PMB

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
burton73
I want to thank Gusti for sending me these pictures from the 916 that was sent back to Europe and Gusti got these pictures. This is helping me decide just how I will do 41’S interior with Cork Leather. Making 41 a very unique car. Eric says he has the man to do the interior. I painted the car Cannery yellow as suggested to me (Iris blue) is my favorite color combo as I had a 1978 911SC Targa in this 916 color combo, at least I can match the interior color now.

wub.gif
Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
More work: installed vent and wiper mechanism

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
defianty
Fantastic stuff, looks gorgeous. I can't wait to get to this rebuild stage with my build.
gms
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 8 2018, 04:08 PM) *

These plastic parts where early prototypes pieces that had to be restored.

Very interesting
Could you explain and show pix?
burton73
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 10 2018, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 8 2018, 04:08 PM) *

These plastic parts where early prototypes pieces that had to be restored.

Very interesting
Could you explain and show pix?

Hi Glenn,

Theses are Eric’s words. I just up dated my report. You should ask him as he is doing the restoration and I know you guy’s talk. Something on very early cars that I know you also have.

Regards,

Bob
Cairo94507
Looking very good. PMB does great work all the way around. smilie_pokal.gif
Mike Fitton
Thanks for posting those 916 interior pictures, very interesting. Also noted the ashtray is leather wrapped.
Mike Fitton
What steering wheel are you going with? Here is one of mine 380mm and thick wrap to 3 5/8".

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
That door panel looks like it's out of a Cadillac Eldorado.
ConeDodger
The really great thing about working with Eric is that when he gets rare brake calipers in for rebuild or in this case, a very early numbered car, he is truly honored to be working on it. pray.gif

Still makes you write the checks though! evilgrin.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
pete000
I like the shortened center arm rest exposing the center tray.(also leather wrapped)
burton73
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 11 2018, 09:29 AM) *

What steering wheel are you going with? Here is one of mine 380mm and thick wrap to 3 5/8".

Click to view attachment

My wheel is a, new leather double wrap 380 just like yours and the hockey puck I bought on EBay 9 years ago from an early 911. Eric just needs to finish the leather on the puck and plate the thin chrome ring. He did say my paint on the steering wheel was wrong shade. I think he said it needed to be very dark gray almost BK. I guess it is BK now.

Bob B
burton73
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 11 2018, 09:31 AM) *

That door panel looks like it's out of a Cadillac Eldorado.

The handle on drivers door on the 916 was kind of like some elements of Singer interiors. I Bought some dress shoes in Brazil that had an area that looked like that.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 11 2018, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 11 2018, 09:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

My wheel is a, new leather double wrap 380 just like yours and the hockey puck I bought on EBay 9 years ago from an early 911. Eric just needs to finish the leather on the puck and plate the thin chrome ring. He did say my paint on the steering wheel was wrong shade. I think he said it needed to be very dark gray almost BK. I guess it is BK now.

Bob B

Best match paint for the spokes is Wurth satin black trim paint.
burton73
Out of order but: Hell Hole (not) in 41 when I got it 2007

Paint was Brown when I got it but when I striped it I found Green in the engine compartment but no any other spot on car. I painted the battery tray and support with blue that I was going to paint the car. I could not find any green on any other area but the Eng. compartment.

I personally removed all the paint before took the car.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
burton73
Wednesday 2/14/18 update of pictures on #41

Today on Thursday lots of stuff going on with the rear left suspensions.

Trying to pick up my new license plates. “30TH 6 “

CA only has black with yellow so I will need to paint them as 70s CA blue.
The DMV where dicks and would not let me use the PO plates innless I paid the registration all the way back to 1985.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment confused24.gif
burton73
Daily Add on from Eric at PMB

He says “Prototype Latch Mechanisms” Must be a first 50 thing?

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=639
375]
burton73
This was 4 years ago at Anaheim, CA The unveiling of Andy Thonet’s Cannery Yellow 914-6 and #41 on the way to PMB Performance

PMB will be there one more time at the indoor ... The All-Porsche Swap & Car Display will again be held on the day after the Lit Meet on Saturday, March 4th, 2018 at the Phoenix Club

If you want a PMB Restoration it takes some time to get a seat at the table.

Bob B

Click to view attachment
burton73
No new pictures this week but sometimes I do not get anything from PMB till Friday. I picked up my new plates for 41 and registered the car. I will have to paint the plates Blue like the custom plates that where it in 1985. I will take the other plates in and get a year of Mfg. and put them on my 74 car with V8.

I used my 914-4 76 to store my custom plates for my Tesla (ETesla) way back as you have to have a car to put the plates on in California. I ordered them when the S was just an idea and I singed up on the list. Number 120th person to sign up. Jeffery was over at my shop and said. I have a (quick 14er) QUIK14R I never saw that but now I like it.

Bob B
Click to view attachment sunglasses.gif
burton73
I like the look of the Singer interior in this color. I am getting samples of leather weave.

My car will be one of a kind. Looking for an update from PMB
idea.gif

Bob BClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
drooley.gif That is a great looking interior. beerchug.gif
amfab
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 22 2018, 12:26 PM) *

I will have to paint the plates Blue like the custom plates that where it in 1985.
Bob B
Click to view attachment sunglasses.gif

Hi Bob, CA says it is illegal to paint the plates ( I am considering this too) do you know if the police have a way of knowing the color its supposed to be?

-Andrew
burton73
The woman at AA said that a Police person can tell from info on line that the plates
are 1960 Legacy plates and not 70 blue plates?

I think I will not get any tickets for that. Just like lots of guys do not put plates on the front in CA. At 65 I do not think it will be a problem as I am not a dick to cops and I do not think I am a profile that will be a problem.

If I am wrong and have to repaint them I will. I am betting no problem.

Bob B

sunglasses.gif rolleyes.gif
burton73
Gauges are back from restoration. They look great.
#41 has an oil tank level sender for well, the oil level.
-Picture of before restoration of oil tank. –

Bob B
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=643
462]Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Gauges look sweet. Where is the smaller one going? Are you doing a 911 type dash?

Great build!
76-914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 17 2018, 05:38 AM) *

drooley.gif That is a great looking interior. beerchug.gif

agree.gif Very nice touch. first.gif
TJB/914
Hey,
I've often wondered what happen to these rusty rat (2) 914-6's FS locally in 2003??
I didn't think they were worth the money blink.gif back in 2003 popcorn[1].gif
Tom
burton73
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 20 2018, 12:50 PM) *

Gauges look sweet. Where is the smaller one going? Are you doing a 911 type dash?

Great build!

No 5 across cluster on #41 but they do look cool on most cars. The POs put the small gauge on the center area next to the key if I remember right. Cannot find the picture from the 100s of them I have. Going right back there after I get leather weave behind it.

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.