Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK! now im lost....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
get the gas tank all mounted in and nice, then notice i forgot to switch out the old rubber fuel lines, so out w/ the tank and put the new lines on. Get the tank back in, rerun some botched PO wiring under the hood, put on some wire loom covering, now its time to pull the old motor out and have a look see......now im lost.

see, im a 944 guy, could build one in my sleep, this thing is all flattend out and squished!! Problem is my haynes manual sucks. The guy who built the motor i think mistakenly ran some pvc line instead of fuel line and its all hard, so i know ill be putting in some real fuel line. I have a bunch of little holes and plugs and such that i have no idea where things go, and the instructions for my crane cam optic ignition is so vague, im not even sure it has instructions for my distributor. Here is every pic i can think of...I need some advice. headbang.gif

heres my distributor. So i take the points and condensor off....how do i find tdc w/ the engine on the stand w/ no flywheel?? Any pics of how to mount the optics, i have an idea but not which direction.
xsboost90
here is the parts i have for it..
xsboost90
what does this do? do i need to plug it?
xsboost90
and these??? confused24.gif
xsboost90
a plug that obviously isnt used?
xsboost90
how exactly does my fuel lines hook up, i have two fuel lines to hook up...where?
grasshopper
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 6 2005, 05:45 PM)
what does this do? do i need to plug it?

is that next to the manifolds? if so, there should be a bolt that goes in there. I think it have a spare. and the plug, do you mean the sensor down in there? umm...i dunno thats about all i know. still learning! biggrin.gif
mihai914
Go to the bird board and look up in the 914 tech section for Dave Darling's Vacuum Diagram and Fuel Diagram, many things should come back into place, that unused plug is the oil pressure sensor if that is what you are referring to. Here:

Damp Dave's Diagrams.

Mihai
markb
One tip, DON'T use chopsticks to find TDC. smile.gif
nebreitling
third pic is the vent to the head. you should plug it for now just so as crap doesn't get into it, but eventually you'll want to set a barb down in there in order breathe them (w/ hose, into a breather box or something).

the 'plug that obviously isn't used' is your oil pressure sender.

re. the crane, everything you need is there, it's just a bit of a pain to set up.

re. fuel lines, you'll have a send and a return from the tank into the engine bay, look at the pelican article (above) for orientation of them.

good luck. use the search function and you'll figure things out!
TravisNeff
To find TDC on number 1, rotate the engine and look for the timing marks on the fan, or there is a line cut out in the flyhweel, which will be at the bottom. Once you get there, pop off the valve cover for number 1 cyl, check to see if both valves are slack. If not you are not on your firing stroke, rotate again until you get to the same marks - valves should be slack. If so, you found TDC Number on No 1. compliments of cap'n crusty from a loong time ago.
SGB
thats right, the cooling fan has a mark that is viewed through the little hole in the cooling fan housing. There is an article on the "tech articles"
914 timing with carbs on pp
Remove the round black plastic cap and look ind
It has this picture-
TravisNeff
Picture is worth a thousand words - just remember - that just because the timing mark shows TDC doens't mean it is, the engine rotates 2 times per firing cycle, that is why I stated check your valves on No 1 to be slack - make sense?
xsboost90
nice! thanks for the info, im feeling alittle better! The optic ignition, does this have to be put in a certain spot, like exactly on number one?

oh yeah i get the whole valve thing, been there before.
brp914
If you really insist on putting that optical thingy on, carry a set points and tools for when it craps. Mine lasted about a year when the module died. They replaced the module. It or something else went a year or so after that. Ditched it. 2+ years on a pertronix now and no prob's. Easier install to boot.
wilchek
maybe this will help with lines
wilchek
and closer
wilchek
and sensor looks like green/red wire goes to it.
wilchek
it looks like it comes out of wiring harness here
xsboost90
ok, figured out the fuel lines, i think the guy had some vac line run instead of fuel line, a year old and they are hard as a rock? I think i figured out the distributor, got the engine off the stand and set to tdc, then set distributor in and figured out where to mount the sensor for the crane cam unit. FINALLY got it all to clear each other w/o interfering w/ the vac advance and itself. Now i have a question..or two.

Does anyone have a dist hold down bracket they can get rid of????
Type 4
Flywheel dowel pin will be pointed at #3 both valves on #1 Closed =TDC #1
xsboost90
anyone have some pressure plate bolts? I had some on the motor i sold but that does me no good.
Type 4
They are 8mm x 18mm.
Check Ace Hardware or Flaps. Dont forget the flat washers.
I dont see the Lock plate under your Flywheel bolts.
xsboost90
its under there! I would rather get some bolts that i know are correct than deal w/ some idiot saying "yeah those are hardened grade 8" when they are made of lead. Anyone have a dist hold down laying around?
Dead Air
You can use the markings on the head of the bolt to tell the hardness. SAE have dashes, Metric actually show the hardness. Standard Metric Bolt Dimensions and Grades
Grade 8 show 8.8 on the head

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.