Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arne
So yesterday I confirmed my suspicion that the entire fuel delivery system in my '73 2.0 needs replaced. (See Yellow storage unit find)

No surprise there, I expected most of this. My budget/plan has included stainless lines and associated parts from the start. The fuel pump itself was a bit unexpected, but only a little.

I've begun my planning, getting ready to order parts. Will probably just order the entire FI line package from Tangerine, lines, hoses, clamps and all.

But I do have some questions about the replacement pump itself that I haven't been able to pin down searching other threads here. So here goes:
  1. My neighbor works at a local Bosch jobber, so I get great prices. I'm planning to convert to a later style 2 port pump. Should I use a late 914 pump, or is there some other pump that I should consider? I saw some references in other threads about a Volvo pump, but no details. Any fitment or part number info on alternatives would be welcome.
  2. Relocating - The current pump is still in the stock location, and since the car was sold here in Western Oregon new, has not had vapor lock issues. But I plan to relocate it anyway. Given that vapor lock is not a big concern here in this mild climate, where is the easiest place to put the new pump? I'm not keen on moving is all the way up front if that isn't necessary as I don't like to string wiring that far if a different spot would serve me as well.
  3. If I relocate to the firewall as a simpler option, can someone give me (as a total 914 noob) a better description as to where on the firewall people typically put it?
  4. Lastly, if I mount the new pump on the firewall, I'm guessing I need to order the line kit for stock location, not for relocate to the front? (I suppose I can call Tangerine before I order to clear that up.)
Have I missed anything regarding this total replacement?
jmitro
subscribed.
I'm looking for location opinions also. Was the original fuel pump located adjacent to the steering rack in a 74? I have my car torn apart and can't remember exactly headbang.gif
TravisNeff
Clay P. found that this pump works with FI. I bought and installed one myself. Nice price at a little over $100

Airtex E8445 pump (or equivalent). It is a rotary pump with the proper volume and pressure for the stock FI

I moved mine up in the front trunk so I can easily get at the pump and filter. Keeping it in the stock location should be fine though.

Found a thread with a 2 port pump in the engine compartment. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1&hl=airtex
arne
Thanks, Travis. That thread has the best pictures of a rear firewall mount I've seen. I didn't see that thread in my searches. While I will concede that a front mounting may be better in really hot climates, I still prefer to keep the wiring simple, and so I'll probably mount in the rear like that.

It looks like there are some of the Bosch 69133 pumps out there, but supplies are tight, so they may have been discontinued by Bosch. That could impact my plan to buy from my neighbor. Will need to check on that.

I'll also look into the airtex pump, need to verify that the port sizes are compatible with the hoses and filter in the Tangerine kit.
TravisNeff
I didn't have any hose fit issues with mine, but do confirm it yourself.

I think that moving the pump up front is a little over hyped. I haven't heard of many people having a vapor lock issue where they had to move their pumps in a looong time.

I moved mine, because that is what everyone said to do. I never had a problem before I moved it up front.
saigon71
I'm not sure what makes the difference as to why some folks vapor lock and some don't with mounting the fuel pump on the firewall. I still experienced vapor lock regularly after mounting the fuel pump on the firewall. One of my projects this winter was moving the pump to the 75-76 location under the tank.

I'd give the firewall mount a try as it's much easier. If you still experience vapor lock, you know what you have to do.

+1 on the Airtex pump that Clay recommends.

76-914
Slits aka Ron M, may his soul RIP, gave a NAPA # for a replacement pump that was <$50 IIRC. I bought one and installed it on Whitey a few years back and it's still running. I can't do a search to save my life but if you can search his postings it is there. Kent beerchug.gif
arne
I did do a search, got the info. (Search for username SLITS, keywords +napa +fuel +pump) the NAPA pump is the same Bosch 69133 that I was looking at. Will either use that or the above mentioned Airtex, whichever is easier to get.

Starting to,get this all figured out now, folks, many thanks!
arne
After a brief chat with Chris at Tangerine, I have it all planned out and parts ordered. The full meal deal kit from Chris, and a Bosch 69133 from my neighbor. The waiting for parts has begun.

Thanks for all the info here, folks!
arne
A brief update. I have the Bosch pump and the line kit from Tangerine Racing. All looks good, with one exception. The inlet side of the Bosch 69133 pump is larger than what others must have. The 10mm (3/8") hose in the kit is a VERY tight stretch on the metal nipple.

This causes a couple of other minor issues. I'm guessing that the stock pump (and presumably many others) have both inlet and outlet nipples of 8mm (5/16"). To connect this all up, the line kit from Chris includes a 10mm-to-8mm adapter, and a fuel filter (Wix 33002) that has 5/16" nipples on both ends. So if the pump inlet was 8mm, it would flow:

10mm tunnel line > 10mm hose > adapter > 8mm hose > filter > 8mm hose > pump inlet

That doesn't work with the 10mm inlet on the 69133 pump. The simple fix is a different filter with 3/8" on both ends, and eliminate the adapter. One option is the Wix 33003, identical to the one in the kit except for the nipple size of 3/8". With that filter, flow is:

10mm tunnel line > 10mm hose > filter > 10mm hose > pump inlet

Simpler, and fewer connections for leaks.

Also, the larger clamps provided for the 10mm hose don't quite open enough to go over the hose after I've forced/stretched it over the pump inlet nipple. I had to use the next size larger to fit. Luckily, I had some nice German FI hose clamps saved from one of my BMW projects in the past, did not have to use a worm gear.
TheCabinetmaker
No. The original 2 port pump had the larger inlet. It also had a rubber reducer nipple.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(arne @ Apr 19 2017, 10:46 PM) *

A brief update. I have the Bosch pump and the line kit from Tangerine Racing. All looks good, with one exception. The inlet side of the Bosch 69133 pump is larger than what others must have. The 10mm (3/8") hose in the kit is a VERY tight stretch on the metal nipple.

This causes a couple of other minor issues. I'm guessing that the stock pump (and presumably many others) have both inlet and outlet nipples of 8mm (5/16"). To connect this all up, the line kit from Chris includes a 10mm-to-8mm adapter, and a fuel filter (Wix 33002) that has 5/16" nipples on both ends. So if the pump inlet was 8mm, it would flow:

10mm tunnel line > 10mm hose > adapter > 8mm hose > filter > 8mm hose > pump inlet

That doesn't work with the 10mm inlet on the 69133 pump. The simple fix is a different filter with 3/8" on both ends, and eliminate the adapter. One option is the Wix 33003, identical to the one in the kit except for the nipple size of 3/8". With that filter, flow is:

10mm tunnel line > 10mm hose > filter > 10mm hose > pump inlet

Simpler, and fewer connections for leaks.

Also, the larger clamps provided for the 10mm hose don't quite open enough to go over the hose after I've forced/stretched it over the pump inlet nipple. I had to use the next size larger to fit. Luckily, I had some nice German FI hose clamps saved from one of my BMW projects in the past, did not have to use a worm gear.

According to my records, you ordered my kit for a stock rear mounted pump.
The Bosch pump you have is for a late model 914 with stock front mounted pump.
The filter I supplied in the kit is incompatible with the 69033 pump. For that you need Wix filter #33274 and you need a special hose made for the larger 12mm beaded ends of the pump and filter.

Also, the supplied hose and tunnel line are 9.5mm (3/8")
arne
Don't get me wrong, Chris. I was not and am not complaining about which filter and such you supplied, as I know that my later choice of pump does change things. You shipped what I ordered, anything I need to do now is on me, not you.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(arne @ Apr 20 2017, 05:24 PM) *

Don't get me wrong, Chris. I was not and am not complaining about which filter and such you supplied, as I know that my later choice of pump does change things. You shipped what I ordered, anything I need to do now is on me, not you.

I didn't get that impression, but I thought it best to provide additional information at this time.
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.