Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB rear bumper to roll hoop ski rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
hushpuppy
Anybody still have one of those old racks that bolted to the tow hook hole in the bumper and the top section to the roll hoop holes. I am presenting my daughter with a college graduation gift of this aubergine 75 914/ 2.0 and she is a ski hound. I'm sure that I've tossed or misplaced several over the years
Tom_T
Congratz to your daughter & her parents! beerchug.gif

Lucky girl! driving-girl.gif

PS - They're not for sale, I'm just suggesting what to look for or a similar rollbar to windshield frame mounted ski rack.

However, I strongly recco that you go with one of the Windshield frame to roll-bar racks, since they're much better in many ways, & easier to use.

You & she would be far better off with the ski rack which attached to the roll-bar underside (as the rear bumper one does forward), & at the top of the windshield frame where the factory thoughtfully left a hole L & R (yup - able to carry 2 racks & 4 skiis - just in case she wants to XC & downhill ;-).

That type of rack allows her to access the rear trunk without removing the skis, which is required with the type to the tow hook hole, as well as it being far more aerodynamic & less drag & noise with the skis sitting flat parallel to the roof.

Piper was the main one sold by Porsche+Audi dealers back in the day, & Jeff Bowlsby's site shows several of them, including mine which he's labeled as "skirack1" - but they are Piper, since I still have the box & original receipt from Chick Iverson in Newport Beach.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

They come up used & NOS occasionally on here, evil-bay, etc.

FYI below is better pic of my Piper Racks, & pix of the Porsche+Audi dealer sold Hardt bike racks which they also sold back then - in case she's into biking too (the bike rack(s) do sit on the rear deck lid, so the bike(s) has to be removed in order to get into the trunk).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
euro911
You might check with Lawrence (Larmo63) ... I think he posted something in the classifieds a couple months ago confused24.gif
SixerJ
Evil bay has a couple for sale at the moment, I just searched 914 ski rack

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Porsche-19...a%257Ciid%253A1

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-LOCKING-Po...a%257Ciid%253A2

Being a ski freak, that's exactly what I want to do. But I'm years away from being done with the car so can't justify it right now

Cool car, cool dad and going to be the coolest kid in town aktion035.gif
Rsjg911
PM sent.
Guberif
FYI the Thule Racks work perfect for me!
Way better than the stock rack.
Because for me, 1) I travel with several pair of ski's, even if I am going to my local mtn.s 2) you can LOCK them 3) you can rotate the base for the best fit / angle to the car 4) your not limited to the length of ski's 5) no chattering 6) bases of ski's better protected further from the de-icing agents they put on roads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.