Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CAR Magazine (British), August 1970 review of the new 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
Here's a PDF of the full article: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2dm73o2hrihrna/S...170403.PDF?dl=0

Happy reading!
Keith914
Reading this report had me smiling many times from the artful use of our wonderful language biggrin.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Apr 3 2017, 02:57 PM) *

Reading this report had me smiling many times from the artful use of our wonderful language biggrin.gif

Yes, the Brits are colorful wordsmiths!
richardL
My friend in Holland owned the car in that article for many years and had it fully restored. It currently lives in Holland. He and I drove it all over Europe to various 914 International events etc.

There are many other magazine articles showing that same demonstrator car. It was also used as the pace car at the Crystal Palace F2 races and there are some pictures of the car being driven by various famous drivers, and also the drivers sitting on the rollbar after winning!
SirAndy
"It'll look good next to your Lamborghini"
av-943.gif
gcrotvik
I'm sure it's just me, but the 914/6 is far prettier than the Lotus Europa.
pete000
Thanks for sharing !
Big Len
Interesting that the 914/6 in the magazine pictures does not have a Porsche crest. I thought all 6's had them.
raynekat
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 3 2017, 03:55 PM) *

Interesting that the 914/6 in the magazine pictures does not have a Porsche crest. I thought all 6's had them.

My recollection is that no 914's, 4 or 6 cylinder, ever had a hood badge.

If you do see them....most likely added by owners or perhaps dealers after the fact.

I actually like that they don't come with a hood badge.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 3 2017, 03:55 PM) *

Nope, no production 914 ever came with the crest ...
shades.gif
eitnurg
A story I heard some years ago about this or a similar car....
Back in the day, a journo on a test drive wrapped it round a tree: the bent shell was replaced with a 'body in white' as a new spare part.
Back in the day, a journo on a test drive missed a shift, over-revved and lunched the engine, which was replaced with a new one as a new spare part.

The bent bodyshell should have been destroyed, but wasn't: some time later it was retrieved, straightened, and used to rebuild another car. (What was done about the chassis number was probably illegal but is lost in the mists of time.)
Similarly, the over-revved engine was also retrieved, rebuilt, and used in another car.

So who has the original?
SirAndy
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Apr 3 2017, 11:59 PM) *
So who has the original?

Wrong question thought. Illegal VIN swap is still illegal.

Also, wrong thread ...
rolleyes.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Apr 3 2017, 02:07 PM) *

Here's a PDF of the full article: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2dm73o2hrihrna/S...170403.PDF?dl=0

Happy reading!

Thanks for posting the PDF I love to have old articles like this!
eitnurg
Review of the same vehicle, 'Motor' magazine, 22 August 1970.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

eitnurg
Part 2.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Also, a section of the classifieds from the same mag. It's interesting how the values of 356 Carreras and 914Ss have varied over the years.

Click to view attachment
veltror
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 3 2017, 11:03 PM) *

My friend in Holland owned the car in that article for many years and had it fully restored. It currently lives in Holland. He and I drove it all over Europe to various 914 International events etc.

Dave fagan if I am right? I spoke to him whilst we were both working for ICL at the time... great guy
SirAndy
£955 for a '63 356SC
unsure.gif
JmuRiz
F-That...a Carrera 2 for only 540 more.

Speaking of, a local guy has the last Carerra 2 made...and he drives it around in DC traffic to events biggrin.gif
gulf908
eitnurq

re post 11 - I e mailed Dave several years ago about the AUS 914-6 and mentioned I had the UK Porsche Posts of the day.
He asked if I knew of any accidents that happened to his car when it was new at the hands of an errant car reviewer
As far as I know,no one has stepped forward to admit to this dastardly crime ! sad.gif
Is Dave on this board ?

hth
Dennis smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.