Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
2.0 with webers, stock ignition

Biggest problem: The engine cuts out randomly and won't restart. I can tell it's def not fuel, 100% ignition. All of a sudden it will just die, even idling. It will restart after I play with the wiring and distributor cap. I've got an order of parts coming including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, etc. Is there anything that I can try now before the parts arrive?

Second: One cylinder doesn't fire, pretty sure its ignition.

This is my first 914, the cap and rotor look fine to me. Maybe its the points? Or possibly the wires connecting the coil and whatnot?

I drove the car for a few minutes after bringing it home, floored it, the pedal stuck due to a bent throttle bracket and hit the rev limiter on the distributor rotor (saved my motor). After that the car wouldn't start, crank crank crank but no fire at all. After playing with the wiring, cap, it started but still dies randomly.

Thanks! idea.gif
BMITCHELL
Don't forget to check your coil. I had the same problems of intermitent ignition and changed everything except the coil. Still had the problem. Changed to a new blue coil and it ran great.

Good luck

Tom Perso
914 ignition systems are pretty simple. Sounds like a wiring issue for the sudden dying. Also, you should check your ignition switch - there's been reports of those going bad and causing issues.

For one cylinder dead - it's either cap, plug, or plug wire.

Hope this helps...

Tom
bpick84
I noticed you have webers. Check your plug wires. I have had 2 different wires come in contact with my carb linkage, wear the insulation off. Then it would jump spark to the linkage. If you know what cylinder is dead, check plug, wire, cap, and carb jets. Only other thing would be to check valves.
yarin
Thanks guys. I should get my delivery of ignition parts on Wednesday, in addition I will check all the grounds and terminals.

Eventually i will get rid of points, just got the car though.

As far as the ignition switch goes, this may be the cause of my problem. Mehcanically the tumbler doesn't turn most of the time. I have to bang it around a little.

Where do I find a new ignition switch? I've seen the electrical portion of it, but not mechanical. Ebay? It's a race car, but will be driven on the street. I don't want to get rid of it all together.

Thanks!
yarin
I pulled one of the plugs, they are Bosch platinum +4 plugs. Two of the arms on one plug are bent in, touching the insulated center rod.

Did the piston hit the plug? The guy I bought it from said this engine is a 2.0 liter with 1.8 heads? The plugs sit almost vertically, unlike the 2.0 heads i have where they sit about 45 degrees. Is this setup just not meant to be? I have to check the serial number on the block.
Joe Ricard
Serial number on the block don't mean much. You can mix and match all kinds of combinations. Either you got a bus case or you got a 914 / 411 case. Any of them will work as ong as you re-configure the dip stick. 914 has windage tray.

1.8 heads are just fine. I would think if the guy really raced it there will be some head work done already. There is NO WAY to only just touch a plug tip with a piston. probably got dropped and never caught the dinged electrode.
If you did contact the plug with the piston you got some serious problems. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.