Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's try this again. Some 3D model work I've been doing.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
I have been working on this 3D model for awhile, thought some of you might be interested to see it.

Reading test: I do all of my modelling in a software called Creo parametric, rendered images with Keyshot. For those of you who do CAD, you'll know that to get something of this level takes a tremendous about of effort. And I still have a lot to do. This is a parametric software, so unlike programs like 3D Studio Max I get true smooth curvatures not millions of triangles.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

It's a work in progress, so some things aren't finished, and other thigns need to be corrected. There are a LOT of details I haven't gotten to.

You might be wondering what I will do with the model once it's done. I am an artist and I do a lot of vector work as you can see in the link in my signature. I'll be using it for some upcoming art pieces that I'm super excited about but will be keeping under wraps for now. I may also post it up on one of the 3D model community pages for sale. If you model and would like a copy to use for personal use, let me know via PM and once it's done we will go from there.
mobymutt
That is awesome! I would be interested in a copy -- I use Solidworks, so any kind of neutral 3D export should be compatible.
csdilligaf
Awesome, I can imagine how much work that was. Might be a cool project for me to machine a scale version on my Haas Mill.
ConeDodger
I see a problem...

It's not silver like mine so it's not quite perfect. biggrin.gif

Wow! Cool skill!
bretth
Very cool. Now we need to put it in it's own video game.
RJMII
nice job! I play with point clouds and triangles most of the time. I might take my microscribe and trace parts of my interior, though... Just to get actual dimensions for the sub enclosure I'm working on for my cars.
r_towle
Nice job, makes me want to paint mine the original gold!

Add sail panel vinyl
flat4guy
Looks awesome - it would make a nice print.
Optimusglen
A bit more done, still a work in progress.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Andyrew
Looks Fantastic!
914work
Awesome!
tomeric914
Looks great! The rear flares are a bit too rounded at the top. Maybe decrease the radius?
Dave_Darling
Has the 72-73 rear bumper, not the 70-71 version... biggrin.gif

--DD
burton73
Your work looks super. I have a question? What does a 3/d printer need to make parts from? Can the size change easily for a 3/d part that someone would want?
I do tooling for vacuum forming and pull in my shop in thin .040 clear PET plastic.
RC cars are one idea.
Send me your email so I can send you a picture of what I have done in the past

Bob Burton
Montreal914
pray.gif first.gif

Really nice work!
rgalla9146
All of them are beautiful.
Great work !
Optimusglen
Bob, I work with a 3D printer quite often, it would take a significant effort to get this printable.

Did some more on it, tweaked the rear fenders, added the door mirror, rear badging, and rear trunk lock.

IPB Image

And started brake calipers and rotors.
IPB Image
Optimusglen
I've been working on a narrow body version. Still more to do, this is a work in progress, but I think it's looking pretty good.

IPB Image

IPB Image
PlaysWithCars
Looking good Bob. We use Creo at work so I appreciate the effort you've invested; our stylists however use different software for surfacing because of how hard it is to do on Creo. Creo is used by the engineers for their design work once the surfacing is done.
abes914
Hope you don't mind. I save an image and set it as my desktop background.

beerchug.gif
Justinp71
Wow! Looks amazing!
6freak
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 7 2017, 03:45 PM) *

Bob, I work with a 3D printer quite often, it would take a significant effort to get this printable.

Did some more on it, tweaked the rear fenders, added the door mirror, rear badging, and rear trunk lock.

IPB Image

IPB Image

that white ones my fav nice work
amfab
This is Awesome! I especially like the narrow body version.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 7 2017, 03:45 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

The white one is my favorite too it looks just like my car! Nice work wish I had such talent. Thanks
Jim
Jett
Very talented!
Optimusglen
More updates.

I added a few smaller details to the cowl, wipers, squirters, and the vent. I also added my big glowing signature. haha.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
arne
Wow! If the narrow body was in Saturn Yellow, I could preview what I hope to make my car look like.
papajohn123
I like the car in your first post! I'm actually wondering if it's hard getting into this software you're using? I've always wanted to try out 3D modeling. Thanks!
Optimusglen
Creo (previously known as Pro Engineer or Pro/E) is probably the hardest 3D modelling software out there, and it is quite expensive for a private party. I wouldn't suggest it unless you've got LOTs of money, time, and patience.

I use it because I have been using it professionally since the early 2000's and it's a way for me to expand and develop my skills. It's a parametric design program, so typically it's used for parts that are actually being produced, but the software is so versatile that I can create these very complex surfaces, with lots of practice.

Most people that do car renderings like this use 3D Studio Max. A lot cheaper and it's more of a tug and tweak modelling process, surfaces made up of tons of triangles and points etc. It takes a lot less time to create something but the model will always be triangles and points.

Case in point, this is a 911R that was created in 3D Studio max. Rendered out in specific colors and the triangles start to appear. I purchased this one, didn't make it myself.

IPB Image
Justinp71

You can also try google sketch up for free. It's nothing like the above programs, but price is right and it can do 3d. People use it a lot for there house remodeling. There are cars already you can download from the google library.
PlantMan
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 22 2017, 03:39 AM) *

Creo (previously known as Pro Engineer or Pro/E) is probably the hardest 3D modelling software out there, and it is quite expensive for a private party. I wouldn't suggest it unless you've got LOTs of money, time, and patience.

I use it because I have been using it professionally since the early 2000's and it's a way for me to expand and develop my skills. It's a parametric design program, so typically it's used for parts that are actually being produced, but the software is so versatile that I can create these very complex surfaces, with lots of practice.

Most people that do car renderings like this use 3D Studio Max. A lot cheaper and it's more of a tug and tweak modelling process, surfaces made up of tons of triangles and points etc. It takes a lot less time to create something but the model will always be triangles and points.

Case in point, this is a 911R that was created in 3D Studio max. Rendered out in specific colors and the triangles start to appear. I purchased this one, didn't make it myself.

IPB Image

Very Cool.
With 3D Max you definitely have to go with a 3rd party rendering software to get a nice finished output. It works great from generating models but if you want it to look pretty that is something else.
I will have to look up the Pro E software.

Just may experience from being in the landscape architecture profession for a while.

Optimusglen
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Apr 14 2017, 11:50 AM) *

Looking good Bob. We use Creo at work so I appreciate the effort you've invested; our stylists however use different software for surfacing because of how hard it is to do on Creo. Creo is used by the engineers for their design work once the surfacing is done.

haha, my name isn't Bob. Creo is a very capable software. In the right hands it can do just about anything you'd like but they don't teach the advanced surface modelling I do it school, at least they didn't when I went through.

I was able to add a bit more, now I have Minilites on the back, a bunch of foglights up front, and I made a few color/texture changes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And the line-view in Creo
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.