Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience with the "Imitation" Weber Carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
I was considering using a 4X 48IDF manifold on my V8 914 project... saw an ad on Evil Bay for a complete system with carbs "Imitation" Webers.... They also sell just the manifold....

How bad are the fake Webers? Anybody have experience with them?

I suppose I could buy their manifold and bolt some true Webers on... But it is a substantial $$ dollar difference... And I'm cheap...LOL

Thanks for the input...

Steve
mepstein
There's a big thread on this site about them - somewhere. Probably on other sites as well. One of the conclusions was - nothing works right out of the box. If you want it done right, take what ever you buy to someone who knows how to re-work them. Probably best to talk to them before you buy.
rhodyguy
Keeping 2 functioning can be a pain. 4 of them? No way. Hit or miss on the empis. The odds are not in your favor. Why no modern gm fi?
GeorgeRud
Or if not new GM EFI, at least consider an Edlebrock electronic EFI conversion. With today's fuels, an EFI setup seems to be the way to go (though they don't look near as nice).
PanelBilly
You know I th ink carbs are cool when you're after a retro build, but with a modern engine, I think you should go with modern fuel management. Let the computer make adjustment for you and drive the car
burton73
On a v8 car you can just go with a big American 4 barrel carb. What a sound when the secondary’s kick in. Billy is right with the EFI but it is not a low cost option.

Bob B
sportlicherFahrer
No experience here Steve, just wanted to say I'm jealous a bit. I've always dreamed of having a setup like that on a V8 ever since looking at the cover of one of my weber books... You can still buy new Weber IDA setups for the Ford FE engines. aktion035.gif

FWIW, I'd pony up and get real ones even if they are Spanish or wherever they are being made these days. The set I put on my car last year are new ones, and they say Spain. Run great.

If you go cheapo, having a carb shop go through them would be a good idea. There's a local guy here in Tacoma I've had good experience with in the past. Carburetion Technologies.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Apr 5 2017, 04:37 AM) *

No experience here Steve, just wanted to say I'm jealous a bit. I've always dreamed of having a setup like that on a V8 ever since looking at the cover of one of my weber books... You can still buy new Weber IDA setups for the Ford FE engines. aktion035.gif

FWIW, I'd pony up and get real ones even if they are Spanish or wherever they are being made these days. The set I put on my car last year are new ones, and they say Spain. Run great.

If you go cheapo, having a carb shop go through them would be a good idea. There's a local guy here in Tacoma I've had good experience with in the past. Carburetion Technologies.

The IDF would be a "fake" reproduction, the original setup would be using the weber IDA carbs.

The early empi IDF's were pure crap, the later ones are ok, but I agree you'd still want a carb guy to set them up.
Made in china, not Spain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.