Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 with OEM sway bars factory installed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a914luvr
I just picked up a really nice, low milage 914-6 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it has OEM sway bars on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the factory shipped any 914-6's with sway bars or were they installed at the dealerships or ??

SirAndy
QUOTE (a914luvr @ May 6 2005, 09:26 PM)
I just picked up a really nice, low milage 914-6 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it has OEM sway bars on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the factory shipped any 914-6's with sway bars or were they installed at the dealerships or ??

look and see if the rear swaybar mounts were welded in after the car left the factory. you should be able to see if the welds & support bracket in the rear trunk is under the factory paint or if they were welded in later and touchup paint added on top.

that is, of course, if the car still has the original paint!

otherwise, post a picture of the rear trunk floor, right behind the cross-bar and we'll be able to tell you if the support plates are stock or aftermarket ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: what's the VIN ???
Gustl
as far as I know, sway bars were a factory option (M404)

show us pics of your car !!!!
ArtechnikA
i've never seen a /6 with factory antiroll bars, but it was possible to special-order almost anything. (and i do not claim to have seen them all.) i'd guess a front bar might accompany the M471 option but i'm not going to go look through Johnson right now...

all the factory /6's i've seen did have the tabs, tho, for front bars.
i've never seen an original factory /6 with a factory rear bar; neither of mine did, and none of the bunch of 6 or 8 i was classed with in Zone 8 events did.
Brando
QUOTE (a914luvr @ May 6 2005, 09:26 PM)

C'mon Glen... this is usually the kind of stuff you answer when guys like me ask... biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 7 2005, 03:43 PM)
i've never seen a /6 with factory antiroll bars, but it was possible to special-order almost anything.  (and i do not claim to have seen them all.)   i'd guess a front bar might accompany the M471 option but i'm not going to go look through Johnson right now...

the Johnson doesn't say anything about antiroll bars at the M471, but DGVWPB says that antiroll bars (front and rear together) were optional at the M471

then I reviewed my prize lists (1970 & 1971) - there were no antiroll bars available at the standard /6

so it's very likely that the M404 option was available later (at least from 1973 on)
SLITS
QUOTE (a914luvr @ May 6 2005, 10:26 PM)

Shithead....I knew you would pull the trigger. biggrin.gif

Ok, now what's first to get rid of....the Orange or the Silver and how much time did Dianne give you? unsure.gif

Where's my engine? I want one too! (damnit) driving.gif
a914luvr
Hey SLITS, I'm keeping them all! He who dies with the most 914's wins. In case of a tie, the winner is the one with the most spare parts. New parts taking precedence over used. So as not to remove a good 914 from the remaining fleet left in the world, I have asked to be burried in a rusted out 914. Why do you think I'm holding on to the Flintsone 6?!

The six I just bought is VIN 9140430671. It's white with black upholstery. I checked inside the rear trunk and I didn't see any supports for the rear sway bar. Makes me think it was done at the dealership or by a previous owner. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Glenn

Gustl
I think I have some pics from your car rolleyes.gif

Gustl
really nice car clap.gif

Gustl
even the stock radio is there
SLITS
Here are some images I took...not the greatest,but......

Glenn gave me a ride (I refuse to drive other people's cars). Nice smooth power....NICE SOUND....supposedly a 2.0 with 911L pistons for higher compression. Tailshifter shifts like butter with no grinds. Handles really well with the sway bars and no there are no weld plates in the trunk. Only minor paint flaws and couple of rips in the seats....powdercoated engine sheetmetal....completely redone engine compartment....completely original with the super rare passenger foot rest (yes I used it). I am more than jealous......but a 22K, a lot more than I can handle.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Gustl
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 16 2005, 07:50 PM)
....completely original with the super rare passenger foot rest (yes I used it)

I hope it still looks that clean wink.gif biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 16 2005, 07:50 PM)
I am more than jealous......but a 22K, a lot more than I can handle.

I'd be more than happy if I could buy such a good /6 for USD 22k dry.gif

In Austria or Germany they ask for about EUR 25k for such a car (that's about USD 32k) - and they get it blink.gif

SLITS
I really didn't want to put my feet on it, but Glenn insisted I use it. It is one sweet running car.
Lou W
Very Nice. clap.gif
Aaron Cox
glenn we expect you to show it off at the next socal gathering.

if slits makes most of our events...you got no excuse biggrin.gif
SLITS
Glenn has indicated he wanted to become more active with the SoCal Group. So to help him along, I will inform him of the events and bought him a butt plug for safety.
Aaron Cox
send him through the initiation- a night with Z.

what? you mean you didnt? im the only one? ohmy.gif dry.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif
tat2dphreak
that's one sweet ass /6!!
a914luvr
thanks guys. I really like this car and might even keep it for a while! I'll try and show up at more events, but I am right in the middle of raising 2 daughters and am enjoying every minute of it, especially the soccer games! Once the kids want me to walk on the other side of the street and want nothing to do with me, I'll be on the lookout for things to keep me occupied. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm in the process of trying to contact the 2nd owner of the car. Turns out I recognized his name and we had a mutual friend long ago...
Gint
Looks pretty nice Glenn. I'd kinda like to see it in person. Maybe next month? driving.gif burnout.gif
Brando
Awesome Glenn, it'd be nice if you can come to more events biggrin.gif Your car looks immaculate, very nice example of a -6.
SirAndy
what? no pictures of the sway bars ????

i thought that was what this thread was about!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2005, 05:54 PM) *

<!-- emo&:ttiwwp: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DennisV @ Nov 16 2023, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2005, 05:54 PM) *

<!-- emo&:ttiwwp: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

agree.gif

@DennisV

This thread is 18 years old, where the hell did you dig that up?
unsure.gif
brant
I miss so many things f those posters
Steve
Glen sold that car years ago. Good luck getting pictures now.
rgalla9146

22k !!!
technicalninja
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 16 2023, 08:02 PM) *

I'm a newbie here and I thought "wow these guys have some knowledge that I want to assimilate, damn nice car too..."

2 decades ago!!!

I've noticed much get lost to the echoes of time in the automotive world...

Having post from SirAndy in the original feed made it look current.

DennisV, you sir, are a tease.
DennisV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2023, 05:59 PM) *

This thread is 18 years old, where the hell did you dig that up?
unsure.gif

Well...I try to answer my own questions if I can before starting a new post. I was looking for pictures of factory installed sway bars. Did a forum search and got excited when I saw this thread. Only to discover there weren't any pictures. dry.gif
Cairo94507
I have owned 3 original 914-6's; not a one came with factory installed sway bars. All had the tabs on the lower control arms for the front sway bar- but no bar. I added stock, later, sway bars to all of them, F&R, using all stock hardware. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I believe the 914-6 anti sway bars were 1mm thicker, just like the torsion bars.
fixer34
There is another thread on here, not quite so old, about this. Here is an old picture of mine, before I cleaned them up. 70 '6, purchased used in July 1977. These were on when I bought it, so can't say if factory or dealer, but my understanding is they are 'factory correct'. Only the front installed, not the back.

Click to view attachment
mate914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 17 2023, 09:54 PM) *

There is another thread on here, not quite so old, about this. Here is an old picture of mine, before I cleaned them up. 70 '6, purchased used in July 1977. These were on when I bought it, so can't say if factory or dealer, but my understanding is they are 'factory correct'. Only the front installed, not the back.

I can see mig wire from moving brake line tab.

Matt
I thought to my self Glen got another Six..
Old post just updated..
My Six has the front sway bar looks Factory??
914/Alan
76-914
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 16 2023, 06:02 PM) *

I miss Ron. He was a huge presence. sad.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 17 2023, 05:54 PM) *

Here is an old picture of mine, before I cleaned them up. 70 '6, purchased used in July 1977. These were on when I bought it, so can't say if factory or dealer, but my understanding is they are 'factory correct'.

This his helpful. Thank you for posting. I am trying to see what the factory welding looked like (i.e., was it tack welded or bead welded). Perhaps it is not possible to see it when everything is assembled?
welder.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
72 sixes were the only ones available with the optional front and rear sway bars. the factory NEVER installed just a front one. The sizes were 16 front 15 rear, where as the 73-76 four cylinder optional sway bar package was 15 front 16 rear. MANY dealers installed front six sway bars on the early cars as they were too tail happy for some people's taste. Since the exact same configuration front bar was available for 911, ordering one and even installing one on a six was easy
rmital
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 7 2005, 10:53 AM) *

<!-- QuoteBegin a914luvr+May 6 2005, 10:26 PM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (a914luvr @ May 6 2005, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> I just picked up a really nice, low milage 914-6 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it has OEM sway bars on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the factory shipped any 914-6's with sway bars or were they installed at the dealerships or ?? <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
Shithead....I knew you would pull the trigger. <!-- emo&:D -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Ok, now what's first to get rid of....the Orange or the Silver and how much time did Dianne give you? <!-- emo&:unsure: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Where's my engine? I want one too! (damnit) <!-- emo&:driving: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

yep....I got the Silver one....back in 2006
rjames
QUOTE(DennisV @ Nov 18 2023, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 17 2023, 05:54 PM) *

Here is an old picture of mine, before I cleaned them up. 70 '6, purchased used in July 1977. These were on when I bought it, so can't say if factory or dealer, but my understanding is they are 'factory correct'.

This his helpful. Thank you for posting. I am trying to see what the factory welding looked like (i.e., was it tack welded or bead welded). Perhaps it is not possible to see it when everything is assembled?
welder.gif

IIRC, welding is only done at the tab on the inside where the gas tank sits. The outer tab then bolts to the inner with the wheel well sheet metal in between.
914werke
If you are going for OE concourse install there is NO welding done in the tank cavity. The (mount) plates were spot welded only inside the wheel wells.
wonkipop
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 20 2023, 02:55 PM) *

If you are going for OE concourse install there is NO welding done in the tank cavity. The (mount) plates were spot welded only inside the wheel wells.

yep. thats right. there is an outer plate for the sway bar mount that bolts to factory reinforcing plate.
top two bolts had nuts where accessible from tank cavity.
bottom bolt on the triangular shape goes into a formed thread that is part of the mount area sheetmetal in the wheel well. pretty sure that is how it goes. at least that is what i can see on mine. the bottom bolt is inaccessible from the tank side. all done at the factory when the body was fabricated. not done at a later stage in assembly. cars built to order with the sway bars.
DennisV
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 18 2023, 08:09 AM) *

72 sixes were the only ones available with the optional front and rear sway bars. the factory NEVER installed just a front one. The sizes were 16 front 15 rear, where as the 73-76 four cylinder optional sway bar package was 15 front 16 rear. MANY dealers installed front six sway bars on the early cars as they were too tail happy for some people's taste. Since the exact same configuration front bar was available for 911, ordering one and even installing one on a six was easy

What I found on our poorly executed install was 15 front and 16 rear. So it looks like they appropriated a 914 package and put it on a 914-6. I wonder how much difference 1mm front to back makes.

I think I am talking myself out of executing a more factory-like install and just plugging holes left by PO.
Dave_Darling
Torsion spring resistance goes up with the fourth power of the diameter. Going from 15mm to 16mm is about a 30% increase in stiffness of the sway bar itself.

From my own experience, though, I don't think that would make a huge difference to the feel of the car. When I went from stock 15mm to aftermarket 19mm, I didn't notice an immense change. A change, yes, but not a huge one.

--DD
rgalla9146

Wheel side / tank side
DennisV
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 29 2023, 09:31 PM) *

Wheel side / tank side

Very helpful photo. Thanks!

Best I can tell, no seam welds. Just a few spot welds in not so precise locations, as suggested by Rich / @914werke ? welder.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.