Full Version: Billet Shift Knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mk114
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4548346010&rd=1

I was thinking of getting one
Series9
Mine:
Jenny
I got one from Morphenspectra at WCC this year. Haven't put it on yet, but will hopefully try it out next week. Looks and feels great! wub.gif

Jen
Mueller
for a driver, esp. one that sees a lot of daily driving or shifting...the metal is too hard, shaped incorrectly, it's going to be too hot or too cold depending on the conditions....nothing beats a nice leather shift knob like a momo

the part looks nice, you'd think they'd know it's CN, not C&C smile.gif wacko.gif
Jeroen
those are heavy biggrin.gif
Leo Imperial
The shape looks good. The round ones feel good in the palm of your hand.
Everone has different likes. 914rs has a longer one, probably the way he likes it. Just like Titties.mgw.gif
I have found I've got to touch it before I buy it, but I am thinking about the one you posted. idea.gif

Leo
CptTripps
QUOTE (Jenny @ May 7 2005, 01:02 AM)
I got one from Morphenspectra at WCC this year. Haven't put it on yet, but will hopefully try it out next week. Looks and feels great! wub.gif

Jen

No...you won one won one from someone else. I forget who it was, but I bought one too...because I liked yours so much.

OUTSTANDING craftsmanship. I had bought another one, but after seeing one of these in person, I had to have one.

Highly reccomended.
JWest
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 7 2005, 01:14 AM)
for a driver, esp. one that sees a lot of daily driving or shifting...the metal is too hard, shaped incorrectly, it's going to be too hot or too cold depending on the conditions

I thought the same thing, but after trying out an aluminum knob - it really is not bad at all. I've left the car out all day in the Texas sun and it was fine. Mine was put on in place of a nice leather MOMO, too...

ArtechnikA
it's cute - but the shift pattern is wrong for a 915 :-) ...

i still like my plain ol' MoMo aluminum ball
- have a look at Porsche factory race cars and think how many shifts those cars get in 24 hours at Le Mans or Daytona.

i bought mine when i was doing combat-zone commutes on the 405 between the San Fernando Valley and Manhattan Beach -- 10,000 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1 shifts a day...

it does get hot on hot days, but you shouldn't be resting your hand on the knob anyway - wears the shift forks. but on the track, you should be wearing Nomex gloves anyway, and in the winter, i'm usually wearing some kind of glove too.

Titanium is actually more dense that aluminum, but if you want to make sure you'll have -something- that will survive that nasty FI fire, there are Titanium Shift Knobs .
TravisNeff
Those knobs are very nice, I was approached at WCC by the person making/selling these and asked how the OE knobs were attached, I popped mine off and we put his in there so he could take a picture of one installed. Should have bought it on the spot - but I will get one one of these days..
morph
QUOTE (Jenny @ May 6 2005, 10:02 PM)

Jen

i donated the one you won. but a friend of mine has those made for him.there pretty sweet wub.gif im waiting for the black one that will be out soon.but i will be carrying those in my own store . i like the product.

james
appearance & performance
Aaron Cox
who makes these?
Gint
Come on! Let's see um!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
djsinister702
here's my dragon shift knob
party.gif
djsinister702
oops here's the pic
Aaron Cox
blink.gif
lapuwali
I agree with Mike and disagree with James. I put a billet knob in my Miata, and had to use a towel or a glove on the shift knob if I left the car in the sun for more than a couple of hours. We don't really get winter here, so it was never uncomfortably cold, but I can imagine it would get pretty bad in a place with real weather. Wood or leather. Wood is my personal pref, though I still have the black plastic knob on my 914.
r_towle
QUOTE (djsinister702 @ May 9 2005, 08:20 PM)
oops here's the pic

where did you get that dragon knob???
Andyrew
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 9 2005, 06:22 PM)
blink.gif

agree.gif

ohmy.gif
xitspd
I have got one on these that I am very happy with on all three of my P cars and my WRX. MOMO Competizione!
djsinister702
got the knob from AutoZone....20 bucks....
feel reallly good.....
djsinister702
you got the girl or the knob>?
CptTripps
Just an FYI...

My car has been in the sun ALL DAY and the black vinyl is hot...the shift knob almost feels cool to the touch!
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 26 2005, 11:55 AM)
Just an FYI...

My car has been in the sun ALL DAY and the black vinyl is hot...the shift knob almost feels cool to the touch!

that aluminum knob is heat sunk to the shifter, to the tranny. makes sense.

aluminum is great for dissipating heat. cooks use them for thawing frozen fish or chicken. just toss the frozen vertibrate onto an aluminum plate and watch that puppy thaw..... biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ May 26 2005, 05:55 PM)
aluminum is great for dissipating heat.

all that's true, but if the car is closed up outside in 100F+ heat the knob is gonna get HOT.
(yeah, it's attached to the stick, which is attached to the shaft (through several Nylon insulating bushings...) to the transmission, but when your whole car is hot, (and we established in another thread the transmission can be well over 200F...) there's no place for the heat to go. add in the greenhouse effect, and -- well -- we're not supposed to touch the knob except when actually in the act of shifting anyway ...

in many ways, the Ti knob would be better in this respect, because Ti is NOT a good conductor of heat. Al's conductivity means it's very capable of shedding heat into your cool fingers, or sucking it from them when it's 5F. (at 5F, i am *definitely* wearing gloves in the car). i have considered leaving my Nomex track gloves in the car on very hot and sunny days, or at least my Nomex flight gloves, except that it just doesn't get as hot here in PA as it did in NV...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.